Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to Canada but not to firearms

Quote Originally Posted by MK12 View Post

Does the PAL take longer to acquire than the RPAL?

If you have no intention of purchasing a firearm at all while in Canada & (as I've read so far) only want your shotgun with you, I'd save time/money/extra scrutiny/background checks and just get the PAL not RPAL.

If you make friends with someone while here and they have an RPAL and you want to go to the range and use their firearm, range rules, provincial laws permitting - you're OK to do that. Your call of course. Just based on what I've read here it doesn't seem like its worth your time for the extra work for the RPAL. - Different story if you intend to move here permanently or want to purchase restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by supacat View Post
    If you have no intention of purchasing a firearm at all while in Canada & (as I've read so far) only want your shotgun with you, I'd save time/money/extra scrutiny/background checks and just get the PAL not RPAL.

If you make friends with someone while here and they have an RPAL and you want to go to the range and use their firearm, range rules, provincial laws permitting - you're OK to do that. Your call of course. Just based on what I've read here it doesn't seem like its worth your time for the extra work for the RPAL. - Different story if you intend to move here permanently or want to purchase restricted.
    Yeah, you're right. I primarily wanted just a shotgun. We'll see when the time comes, aparently January 27th is a big day for you guys and the cool guns that you guys have here that we don't have in America may be gone by the time I get there. I most likely will be getting a PAL only.

Quote Originally Posted by Northto View Post
    Regarding the letter of good conduct, it's pretty clearly spelled out on the PAL application form at the link I sent you above:

New Canadian Residents
    If you have been a resident of Canada for less than 5 years, you must obtain a letter of good conduct issued by the local or state police of your previous country of residence.

Non-Residents of Canada
    If you are a non-resident of Canada, you must obtain a letter of good conduct issued by your local or state police.

Not sure whether an RPAL takes longer; I believe that RPALs receive more scrutiny and manual attention, but I can't substantiate this or comment on whether the processing time is longer. Others may be able to comment.
    Thanks for all the help. I had not had a chance to go through all the info provided. I will make sure to read through everything before asking anymore questions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123