Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Letter Writing Campaign with an incentive Typhoon F12 Canadian Loyalist

Expired Business Member
    Please make sure you include the following in your email to us;

Your full name, and a contact number you can be reached at. Just in case you get drawn.

Ken H
    Wild West Shooting Center

Peaceful slavery is still slavery.

Expired Business Member
    keep those letters coming

I can't get in to your store but was going to send paper/hard copy letters to Trudeau; Blair; Yurdiga (Fort McMurray-Cold lake); and Ron Liepert (Calgary Signal Hill (I sort of live in two ridings). Text is below. Can I still get entered? my surname will be in the letter)

Bill Blair
    Member of Parliament
    Scarborough Southwest
    House of Commons
    Ottawa, ON
    K1A 0A6
    December 23, 2019

Dear Bill;

This is a copy of a letter I sent to Prime Minister Trudeau.

I have followed with some alarm the discussions surrounding the further restrictions, and possibly outright bans, of some classes of firearms. This is concerning and, ultimately, misguided in that it will not solve any problems with gun-related crime.

The vast majority of guns used in crimes in Canada are illegally imported from the United States and are often used by gang members among others. This is backed up by the Chief of Police in Toronto, as well as data from other jurisdictions. There is no justification, other than short-term political gain, for penalizing thousands of law-abiding Canadian citizens, running up massive costs, putting thousands of people out of work, and shutting down many small businesses. The proposed changes simply won’t make a difference in any crime rates.

There is a large community of firearms owners and enthusiasts in Canada, the overwhelming majority of whom are law abiding citizens and who scrupulously follow the laws for firearms acquisition, storage, and use. As well, and as alluded to above, this community supports the employment of many people who in turn staff many small businesses in retail, manufacturing, range ownership, and other related industries. Arbitrarily and capriciously putting many of these people on the wrong side of the law, or out of work, for no good reason whatsoever, simply doesn’t make sense.

There is an opportunity to show real leadership and insight here by approaching this problem pragmatically and realistically. A knee jerk response, while satisfying in the short term, ultimately will be shown to be ineffective and will actually hurt the economy and people’s very lives and livelihoods. That shouldn’t happen on a whim or to try and send a message. The stakes are too high.

I would propose that at this point an honest discussion be held using data relating to gun crimes and a solution be based on that. The information clearly shows that legally purchased guns are not the problem. As stated above the vast majority of gun crime in this country is committed using guns obtained in the US and illegally smuggled across the border. The most effective way to combat gun crime is to address that issue. As well, gang violence needs to be addressed, as these gangs typically have the means, motive, and infrastructure to bring these guns in.

I’m sure politically it’s easier to punish law abiding Canadian citizens than it is to dig into, and control, the issue of illegally imported guns. However, it is highly unfair to put Canadians on the wrong side of the law and to destroy their livelihoods simply to pander to one demographic for purely political purposes.

I strongly urge a measured, pragmatic, and effective solution to the issue of gun crime, and not a capricious and ineffective political statement that will destroy businesses, create unemployment, put law abiding people on the wrong side of the law, overwhelm already stretched police resources, and still not solve the problem.

Sincerely,
    Jim P******, P. Eng.

Quote Originally Posted by JGPinYYC View Post
    I can't get in to your store but was going to send paper/hard copy letters to Trudeau; Blair; Yurdiga (Fort McMurray-Cold lake); and Ron Liepert (Calgary Signal Hill (I sort of live in two ridings). Text is below. Can I still get entered? my surname will be in the letter)

Bill Blair
    Member of Parliament
    Scarborough Southwest
    House of Commons
    Ottawa, ON
    K1A 0A6
    December 23, 2019

Dear Bill;

This is a copy of a letter I sent to Prime Minister Trudeau.

I have followed with some alarm the discussions surrounding the further restrictions, and possibly outright bans, of some classes of firearms. This is concerning and, ultimately, misguided in that it will not solve any problems with gun-related crime.

The vast majority of guns used in crimes in Canada are illegally imported from the United States and are often used by gang members among others. This is backed up by the Chief of Police in Toronto, as well as data from other jurisdictions. There is no justification, other than short-term political gain, for penalizing thousands of law-abiding Canadian citizens, running up massive costs, putting thousands of people out of work, and shutting down many small businesses. The proposed changes simply won’t make a difference in any crime rates.

There is a large community of firearms owners and enthusiasts in Canada, the overwhelming majority of whom are law abiding citizens and who scrupulously follow the laws for firearms acquisition, storage, and use. As well, and as alluded to above, this community supports the employment of many people who in turn staff many small businesses in retail, manufacturing, range ownership, and other related industries. Arbitrarily and capriciously putting many of these people on the wrong side of the law, or out of work, for no good reason whatsoever, simply doesn’t make sense.

There is an opportunity to show real leadership and insight here by approaching this problem pragmatically and realistically. A knee jerk response, while satisfying in the short term, ultimately will be shown to be ineffective and will actually hurt the economy and people’s very lives and livelihoods. That shouldn’t happen on a whim or to try and send a message. The stakes are too high.

I would propose that at this point an honest discussion be held using data relating to gun crimes and a solution be based on that. The information clearly shows that legally purchased guns are not the problem. As stated above the vast majority of gun crime in this country is committed using guns obtained in the US and illegally smuggled across the border. The most effective way to combat gun crime is to address that issue. As well, gang violence needs to be addressed, as these gangs typically have the means, motive, and infrastructure to bring these guns in.

I’m sure politically it’s easier to punish law abiding Canadian citizens than it is to dig into, and control, the issue of illegally imported guns. However, it is highly unfair to put Canadians on the wrong side of the law and to destroy their livelihoods simply to pander to one demographic for purely political purposes.

I strongly urge a measured, pragmatic, and effective solution to the issue of gun crime, and not a capricious and ineffective political statement that will destroy businesses, create unemployment, put law abiding people on the wrong side of the law, overwhelm already stretched police resources, and still not solve the problem.

Sincerely,
    Jim P******, P. Eng.

Since you can't make it to the store and you were going to send the letter, instead of posting it, do what is instructed for out of province participants. Your post on CGN of your letter proves nothing. TY for writing and supporting.

See instructions below by retailer;

I have been authorized to announce that we will be taking non-local participants. But we will require a photo of your letters and the envelopes completed addressed to Ottawa, and a return address.

please send pictures to kenh@shootingcentre.com

Then I will issue a ticket in you name after verified.

Ken H
    Wild West Shooting Centre
    Last edited by 1ABNDT; 12-24-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    LEST WE FORGET
    I Will Not Seal My Fate Without a Fight, If You See Me Running, I Run To The Front.
    Member of NFA CCFR CSSA NRA DTOM CATI LEFTY MAFIA

Quote Originally Posted by 1ABNDT View Post
    Since you can't make it to the store and you were going to send the letter, instead of posting it, do what is instructed for out of province participants. Your post on CGN of your letter proves nothing. TY for writing and supporting.

See instructions below my retailer;

I have been authorized to announce that we will be taking non-local participants. But we will require a photo of your letters and the envelopes completed addressed to Ottawa, and a return address.

Ken H
    I missed that post. Apologies.

And I'm well aware that posting it here means nothing. Just trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by JGPinYYC View Post
    I missed that post. Apologies.

And I'm well aware that posting it here means nothing. Just trying to help.
    I apologize your letter means alot, TY for your efforts. I definitely worded it the wrong way. I was just trying to get you a spot to win that sweet SG.

Merry Christmas and all best to you and yours.

I am sure you know by now but if not please sign, sure could use your help.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/P...etition=e-2341
    LEST WE FORGET
    I Will Not Seal My Fate Without a Fight, If You See Me Running, I Run To The Front.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ABNDT View Post

See instructions below my retailer;

Ken H
    Mine already went out. Dang
    "There is always another way." - Kwai Chang Caine

“The trouble with practical jokes is that they often get elected.” - Will Rogers

Write another one and send it, postage is free. Don't forget pic.
    LEST WE FORGET

Expired Business Member
    Our staff have mailed out multiple letters, we even have a range officer having a letter writing party.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast