Thread: TUF22 receiver with Kidd bull barrel compatiblity?

TUF22 receiver with Kidd bull barrel compatiblity?

I received my TUF22 receiver last week and the plan was to take the Kidd stainless bull barrel out of my original 10/22 receiver and stick it in the TUF22 but that's about as far as that plan went.

Barrel went in about halfway and then it got stuck there. Had to bring it to my local gunsmith who managed to save both the barrel and receiver. He said material would have to be removed on the receiver in order for the barrel to seat completely.

Am I the only one to experience something like that? Got to say I'm kind of upset about the whole ordeal as the receiver and barrel both got dinged up a few times trying to rubber mallet them in and then back out.
    CCFR Member

Go google search Kidd Barrel installation. There is dozens of posts on other forums about this.

Tony Kidd even made a video about it years ago. And it’s answered on their FAQ on their website.

https://youtu.be/LOtEwR-7bt0

Dlask receivers are also on the ‘tight’ side. Dlask offers installation. Email them.

They should probably put something on their website, or include a better instruction sheet with their product though

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mike112288's Avatar
    I’ve done this a number of times. Don’t sand anything on your receiver. Buy some very fine sand paper. Spin the barrel end inside the fine sand paper back n forth and test in between to see if it goes in a tad easier. You only want it to go in a touch easier so that you can for surely get it full in and proper position. Basically you are polishing the barrel end that goes into the receiver. Your not sanding the tar out of it or scratching things up. No worries. I’ve done this on a previous Dlask receiver build too. Don’t remove metal from the receiver. Should you one day replace the barrel or sell the receiver off the inside may be too loose for somebody else’s barrel and cause barrel droop or just be a bit too loose. Buy a couple different grits of very fine paper.

Sorry to hear about your barrel jamming. I know how frustrated I'd be. I have a TUF-22 with a Kidd fluted barrel. I didn't install the barrel myself as it was part of my build from Dlask. I had a Boyd evolution stock that I installed myself when the assembled receiver and barrel was delivered (simple... no problems). The TUF-22 is extremely tight tolerance on all ends and you certainly have to be careful with everything... magazines, fouling, etc.
    Last edited by P90rippin; 12-20-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    Alberta... Now Rat, Federal Liberal and rivet free!

Do what Mike said. What you want to buy is called emery cloth. They’re very fine and have a strong backing so they won’t rip and tear while you’re polishing the end.

Lots of info on utube ,cool barrel in freezer,heat reciever with heat gun.Might be out of my area here but worked with dlask in ruger reciever.

Quote Originally Posted by elkahol View Post
    Lots of info on utube ,cool barrel in freezer,heat reciever with heat gun.Might be out of my area here but worked with dlask in ruger reciever.
    I didn't have to play with thermodynamics to get the Kidd to fit in my Ruger receiver. This time I had it lubed, with the barrel in the freezer overnight and the Dlask receiver in the oven and I still couldn't get it past halfway.
    Last edited by Valaden; 12-20-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    CCFR Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    it is called tolerances man, look it up and try to understand what is happening
    Life is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    it is called tolerances man, look it up and try to understand what is happening
    Spot on. Almost every aftermarket barrel manufacturer makes the barrel tenon oversize in diameter so that a qualified GUNSMITH can fit the barrel to the receiver in a manner that will produce the best accuracy. If we made a barrel that simply dropped into you Ruger like a hot-dog down a hall way then there would be little point in swapping barrels to begin with as you would most likely see zero improvement in accuracy...

We don't give hints, tips or tricks to installing anything. The reason is simple ; because we have NO idea of your particular skill level or capability and if something goes sideways we don't want to be left getting hammered here and paying the price. Our website clearly states that these may require fitting and it is to be done by a qualified GUNSMITH. If you do not have one in your are we will do it for free provided you bought the parts from us.

And guys....PLEASE do not do the shrink fit thing with the freezer / oven. There is a reason you will NEVER see a qualified gunsmith doing this....
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”