Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112131415161718192022 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig sauer cross bolt action rifle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hawk-i's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    Good Call! I am glad to hear that my post regarding premature throat erosion with the MPR's Christensen Arms C-F Barrel provided you with the necessary info to make a solid decision. My MPR has since been rebarrelled with a 24" Hardy Engineering C-F Barrel from NZ. The Hardy Barrel conducts energy away from the Stainless Barrel Liner, shedding heat both outwards and downwards towards the Muzzle. In other words, it functions as advertised, and as the Christensen C-F Barrel should have worked (but instead failed miserably).

Notwithstanding the above, the Christensen MPR's Chassis, Action, Trigger, C-F Handguard, etc, are excellent in terms of low weight, craftsmanship, fit and function. Everything about the MPR earns two big thumbs-up, except for the Christensen Arms C-F Barrel. With the Hardy Barrel installed, the overall package is once again ideally-suited for both the "Precision Rifle" and "Precision Hunting Rifle" roles. All-in with the Vortex Razor AMG 6-24X 50mm optic (but without the Atlas Bipod mounted), the MPR with Hardy Barrel weighs-in at just under 10 lbs.

I would pit my re-vamped MPR against a SIG Cross any day now that I am back up and running, but it would be an "apples and oranges" comparison given that I now have $5K invested in the Christensen rifle versus the $2K cost of a Cross in Canada. If the Cross can meet the $2K price-point while offering turn-key sub-MOA performance, SIG will have a winner on their hands. A lightweight cross-over Precision/Hunting Rifle has been missing from the affordable line-up until now. Hopefully the Cross wil meet expectations and fulfill that requirement without having to break the bank!

How is the Hardy barrel going to dissipate heat anymore efficiently than the CA, Proof or any other carbon fiber wrapped barrel?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    How is the Hardy barrel going to dissipate heat anymore efficiently than the CA, Proof or any other carbon fiber wrapped barrel?
    Apparently if not done correctly it will actually insulate the barrel and wear it out incredibly fast. He had this happen to him.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    You should read my original post regarding the failure of Christensen Armament's C-F Barrel in my MPR. You might find that it more fully explains the situation:

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...n-Fibre-Barrel!
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    With all this fuss on Carbon wrapped barrels, what are you shedding in weight for paying twice the price of a standard SS barrel? CF is used to reduce weight, and still have a strong structure. If people are seeing them retain heat in barrel wraps, would an aluminum barrel sleeve not be better? It would be lighter than a heavy bull barrel (but heavier than CF), cheaper to manufacture and most certainly dissipate heat much better than carbon fibre.

My snowmobile has aluminum Pro-Taper handle bars, the bar warmers don't work worth a crap because the aluminum sucks up and dissipates all the heat. I had to put cork material under the elements to get some heat into the grips. The principal would work the same with a aluminum barrel sleeve.

BANNED
    any updates on this? ETA?

possible fixed stock and a 10in barrel would be amazing too....

Quote Originally Posted by Jc0228 View Post
    The 18" barrel versions are 27" when folded. So that's good news.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco View Post
    possible fixed stock and a 10in barrel would be amazing too....
    yup, short is beautiful

you got it lol amazing

Any updates from Sig on availability ?

If we stay on track we will see them June/July this year. There is a lot going on out there and we are hoping no changes to delivery. When we know you will as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman338 View Post
    Any updates from Sig on availability ?
    MD Charlton Co.
    Sig Sauer Master Distributor and Canadian Warranty Center