Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year 2020! Norinco 1897 Trench gun Back in Stock! Only 299

Quote Originally Posted by Axelord View Post
    Just got my 1897 in the mail, so here's a preliminary review
    Action and loading was initially janky but a few dozen passes of snappies turned everything smooth. Smoother, I mean. It's still Chinese. You can't help but squint when you look at it. That's how scrappy it is.
    Didn't come with any sort of manual, or even a warning label. Just the gun in a plastic bag with a very light film of what might have been cosmoline, or not. Stuff behaved the similarly to old, gunky cosmoline but it didn't have that distinct smell.
    Only definite bad mark is that the stock is damaged. It obviously chipped at some point, and then they glued the bit back on. It's not a functional problem, but it's kinda flagrant and hard to not look at. Not the best $300 I ever spent, but not the worst by a long shot.
    Picture
    Ouch! That stock looks fugly.
    I imagine you could exchange it. Hope mine doesn't arrive like that.
    Last edited by ricohman; 01-10-2020 at 09:36 AM.

I ordered one in the combo and that was on the 7th. Still haven't seen any progress with Canpar on the shipping. Is it just because Canpar has a terrible tracking system? Or a failure to pick up the package?

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
    I ordered one in the combo and that was on the 7th. Still haven't seen any progress with Canpar on the shipping. Is it just because Canpar has a terrible tracking system? Or a failure to pick up the package?
    Slow updating.

Very weird then, given that Canpar shows pickup on their end on the 10th.

Does Canpar do pickup on certain days of the week only?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Packed in a oiled plastic bag, loose in a thin cardboard box with no interior support.... that's a lot of faith in Canada Post!

Some crumpled newspaper or and extra layer of cardboard, plastic air bags..... take your pick couldn't hurt.....
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    Packed in a oiled plastic bag, loose in a thin cardboard box with no interior support.... that's a lot of faith in Canada Post!

Some crumpled newspaper or and extra layer of cardboard, plastic air bags..... take your pick couldn't hurt.....
    Mine was rattling around the box too.

I thought that’d it’d be damaged when I opened it.

Thankfully it wasn’t damaged and looks really good. They do wrap the box in black plastic and I think that helped as the cardboard had a hole in it but not the plastic.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Nestor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffMan View Post
    Mine was rattling around the box too.

I thought that’d it’d be damaged when I opened it.

Thankfully it wasn’t damaged and looks really good. They do wrap the box in black plastic and I think that helped as the cardboard had a hole in it but not the plastic.
    Not cool. Hopefully the buyers paid extra for the insurance...
    Last edited by Nestor; 01-11-2020 at 07:18 PM.
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and you make bad decisions.

Just got mine safe and sound. tried to tighten any screws I see on the action and almost locked it up. Be careful not to screw in the screw under the extractor too tight. You might lock up the action.

Quote Originally Posted by bleaches View Post
    Just got mine safe and sound. tried to tighten any screws I see on the action and almost locked it up. Be careful not to screw in the screw under the extractor too tight. You might lock up the action.
    Do the screws need loctite?

Any 1979 experts out there who can tell us what to watch out for on these shotguns.

It sure is a sexy gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
    Not cool. Hopefully the buyers paid extra for the insurance...
    Canada post covers only against loss. Not damage from its ham fisted employees.