Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year 2020! Norinco 1897 Trench gun Back in Stock! Only 299

All the screws on mine were fine but the pin at the back of the bolt holding the firing pin in slipped out and dented the receiver on closing luckily it did it once on each side so yay symmetry?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Nestor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ricohman View Post
    Canada post covers only against loss. Not damage from its ham fisted employees.
    Fair enough, but if the damage is caused by poor packaging, you have a claim against the sender.
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and you make bad decisions.

I’m really thinking about buying another one of these.

Anyone else buy two?

CGN Regular
    These guns seem to be worse quality than my 30$ red ryder

Business Member
    No worry, anything not right just contact us directly by email or phone. Tks!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Just got mine today..And yes.. It does SLAM FIRE... cycling dry
    Seems to be OK cycles as it should ..no damage in shipping even though the hammer had worn through the cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by GUB View Post
    Just got mine today..And yes.. It does SLAM FIRE... cycling dry
    Seems to be OK cycles as it should ..no damage in shipping even though the hammer had worn through the cardboard
    I've decided to order one myself, just for the giggles, as I had not so great experience with Norinco products in the past (I own however an exceptional SKS by Norinco). Just so I can comment on quality and overall execution.
    Came today, exactly like yours. Hammer went through the box, but the layers of the plastic wrap saved the day.
    Actually pretty good machining. Very nice wood with the polymer like finish. Action is far from smooth, but it's going to get better.
    Hammer has a different shape than the original.
    Cycling fine, the trigger pull is heavy, but smooth.
    Very few things that did catch my attention:
    - small dent in the wood,
    - not ideally round muzzle end, as there is a slight machining mark or dent on the outside (pretty damn close to perfect O though),
    - on the empty chamber the forend doesn't need to move/notch forward first, I can cycle it right away (with the hammer back the lock-up is solid though),
    - there is a dimple missing in front of the forend (present on the original) as the tube is smooth all around,
    - blueing is nice and even,
    - bead sight is slightly bigger than on the original (better IMO),
    - the side buttons release the shells from the magazine with even more authority than on the original E series (they flying),
    - there is a bit more play with the forend than on the original 97,
    - bottom of the bolt isn't razor sharp (nice surprise), but it can still damage one's hand,
    - all screws appear to be of good quality to my eye, but there will be more to follow.
    Overall I can see some potential. It may be a fun project...but will require some work.
    Last edited by Nestor; 01-13-2020 at 08:49 PM.
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and you make bad decisions.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    ^^^SAME.. But my wood is near perfect

Pretty satisfied with mine, only thing that jumps out at me is how wobbly the forend is.

A nice walnut forend and stock would really round this out.
    Rimfire and Military Surplus Enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by GUB View Post
    ^^^SAME.. But my wood is near perfect
    The dent I mentioned about is very small, so mine is also "near" perfect with very nice grain around the grip area.
    One thing that I forgot to mention - the pommel grip promotes the gripping technique that is nearly forgotten, but may be necessary with 1897.
    With the thumb along the grip, not around it.