Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Musings of a Wolverine. December Edition

Business Member Rep Wolverine .303's Avatar
    Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384

The Musings of a Wolverine. December Edition

It was the fall of 2004, Pat and I were extremely busy with Wolverine, in fact we were just about to hire our first full time Staff person to take some of the pressure off. Pat asked me about completing an invoice for an expensive optic by credit card. I was too busy to pay much attention to the deal and told Pat to carry on, the sale went ahead, then another one and another one. Business was booming, a lot of top end optics, range finders, GPS, Binos and even digital cameras were flying off the shelves. Then the bomb shell hit.

It was 3 am and the phone went, I answered, a female voice at the other end said in a surprised voice “Oh, you do exist! What is going on?” Eventually the plot unfolded, I was now wide awake. The voice on the phone belonged to Pamela; she lived in California and had just returned home from an extended vacation in the far east. As she was jet lagged, she decided to open her stack of mail which included a CC Statement, this showed numerous payments to Wolverine Supplies. She “Googled” us and was horrified to find we were a gun store - she didn’t like guns, she was into photography. I assured Pamela that we were genuine, and we would sort this out, I also knew that she could charge back everything. As Pat and I were by now both wide awake we went downstairs, made a cup of tea and started to work in the office.

It was far worse than we feared, the total was about $60,000.00, approximately a third had been shipped, another third was either in stock or on route to us, and the last third was all in back orders that had been placed with our suppliers. We immediately stopped shipping any CC orders until the purchaser had been confirmed. We tried to cancel all the back ordered items with our suppliers but a lot of these items were special order and could not be cancelled and some incurred a heavy restocking fee.

I called the CC companies, they were of no help to us as we were the merchant. They couldn’t really be bothered with us, they would only help the owner of the CC. There was no time limit on how far these charge backs could go.

I phoned the RCMP, they could do nothing for us as they could not counter International fraud. All the scammed goods had been shipped overseas. The vast majority to Indonesia, or at least in that area. Then I took the approach that these items would be useful to terrorists, still no interest from the RCMP. I tried getting a phone number for the FBI and CIA but could not even get to talk to a human voice.

Then I tried CSIS, I explained the situation, yes, we may be interested - we will get back to you.

In the meantime, the charge backs kept coming in, almost daily. Pat and I were searching for a pattern, something in common, a place, a name or an e-mail address. We found a suspect, why the nerve of him, he had e-mailed me again yesterday. Time to turn the tables, I replied that we were so busy that we were getting behind, after a few e-mail exchanges I suggested that he might like to work as our agent in Indonesia, I almost had him hooked and then all comms with him ceased.

CSIS called, “When would it be convenient to come and visit, as they had a proposal for us.” The sooner the better I replied”, and a date was agreed. A great little fellow turned up, very unassuming but extremely sharp. After questioning us at length he asked if I would make one last shipment so they could track it. I replied that as much as I would like to “Nail the bastards”, I couldn’t afford to lose any more. No worries was the reply, we will cover your costs.

The next “suspect order” was cleared by CSIS, so we processed it and then we waited. We tracked the shipment to its destination; I think it consisted of two or three top end optics. A few weeks later our friend at CSIS called, could he visit? Certainly, I replied.

Pat and I waited eagerly to find out what had taken place. We learnt nothing; our friend “knew nothing”. He told us this operation was out of his hands and when his contacts told them the job had been completed, they just grinned at him. Our friend told us that grin meant the operation had gone well. He then opened his leather briefcase and pulled out a wad of dollar bills. “What do I owe you?” he asked. He paid me the appropriate amount and I was asked to sign a receipt. It was the only time the Canadian Government paid me in “cash”.

The moral of this story is to always check your CC statement, as the vast amount of what was paid to us in this scam was (lucky for us) never claimed as a “Charge Back.”

Keep your powder dry,

Mr Wolverine
    Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com
    www.wolverinesupplies.com

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Epoxy7's Avatar
    Last edited by Epoxy7; 01-15-2020 at 01:38 AM.

Great story, yet again. Happy New Year Mr. Wolverine, family and staff!........
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!

Holeeee sh**. That is quite the story.
    Canada Post will only insure firearms that are shipped in a hard plastic case with a lock on it. Cost is $2.75 for every $100 of insurance. I will not assume any responsibility for loss or damages by Canada Post. All items are sold AS IS and do not come with any warranty. Payment required within 24 hrs of your commitment to purchase or item will be sold to another member.

CGN Regular
    Wow....fairly James Bondish I must say
    Free the West

CGN Ultra frequent flyer gwhysow's Avatar
    Another great story; another monthly highlight.

That was a great job done by the CSIS, especially covering your losses
    CCFR and CSSA Member, and Libertarian at Heart

That is a great story!

Great read, thanks!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Interesting. Paid in cash .... Csis wanted no link to this for some reason ....
    1944 - 18 year old men stormed the beaches of Normandy into almost certain death.
    2021 - 18 year old boys need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.
    2022 - 18 year old boys aren't sure what bathroom to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast