Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should I just withdraw my PAL/RPAL application?

I'm no legal expert, but based on what you have said here it would seem to me that you have enough material to challenge this situation and win. Your gender should have nothing to do with anything, thats your business..not the CFO's. I suggest you seek out a human right agency in your city or town and see what stes you can proceed with.
    Liberal party of Canada- Useless since 1867

Mine took 2 yrs to get approval.
    now that a yr has passed. Call every 2 months and ask for an update on your application. It will show them you haven't lost interest.
    They want you to give up. And any time you feel like giving up. That is when you should call.
    Why would you withdraw your application? You've spent the $80 Let them do the paper work for which they owe you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Cory View Post
    Mine took 2 yrs to get approval.
    now that a yr has passed. Call every 2 months and ask for an update on your application. It will show them you haven't lost interest.
    They want you to give up. And any time you feel like giving up. That is when you should call.
    Why would you withdraw your application? You've spent the $80 Let them do the paper work for which they owe you.
    The main reason why I want to withdraw my application is because I don't plan on owning firearms or shooting in Canada any time soon. I have family in the southern US and do all my shooting there. I originally planned on getting my PAL to get into target shooting in Canada since I only went down once every few years. But, life circumstances have changed and now I go down to visit more than I would be able to visit a Canadian range.

Part of me wants to say f*** it, cancel my application, and reapply in 10 years so I can say this tiny thing happened 10+ years ago and I have no issues now. I feel like the odds are stacked against me right now.

CGN frequent flyer thepolinator's Avatar
    Dont withdraw your application. Force them to explain to a judge why you cant get a pal.

Call or email and don't give up! Also maybe try to get something in writing from the police department that came to the call on you and also the doctor who diagnosed you that can attest to these being false? That may help because I’m sure they are not going to put that effort in to prove something is not true. Also if you call and are bashed for anything discriminatory verbally or in an email speak to a lawyer or the media about it because no one should have to put up with that. Im no law expert but thats what I think I would pursue if this happened to me, you made an honest mistake and your not hiding the past by opening up about it.

Giving up just lets that cfo win and the same could happen to other people in the future. If you get your pal and the cfo feels some heat from it then maybe it wont happen to others in the future who may be in your position.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadMonkey View Post

Honestly we need more vocal transgender persons advocating for firearms ownership and within our community, especially disturbing the CFO is openly discriminating against you because of your gender identity. I would say call the CBC they love this kind of ‘societal justice’ causes.
    Uh no I'd rather not have somebody mentally ill as the poster child for the fight for firearms owners in Canada. Probably not going to do many favors for us when it comes to appealing to like minded people. Hard pass.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkmpfw14 View Post
    Uh no I'd rather not have somebody mentally ill as the poster child for the fight for firearms owners in Canada. Probably not going to do many favors for us when it comes to appealing to like minded people. Hard pass.
    I'm on the fence about it myself. Of course we don't want to exclude anyone and make them feel unwanted, especially in the shooting sports, and LGBTQAIP issues are all the rage nowadays. After all it would give us the power to call the antis transphobic to win any and all debates in our favour.

But the fact is that transgender individuals have a higher than average suicide rate. Like many, I am of the firm belief that it is a mental illness and it should be treated as such; meaning careful scrunity of the applicant. However, if the OP doesn't have a history of violence towards themselves or others, then give them their frickin' PAL. We shouldn't be living in Minority Report.
    Last edited by btabin; 01-06-2020 at 01:49 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkmpfw14 View Post
    Did you miss the part where the OP was not mentally ill, and only mistakenly believed to be so?

Or are you assuming ignorantly that being transgender is a mental illness? Even if it was, Transgender folks are no more likely to be public safety concern then you or me, but are about 1,000 times more likely to be a victim of violence and in need of the means of self defense.

Besides, the climate change folks seem to be doing pretty well with an actually mentally ill young person championing their cause, so whats your concern exactly?

Do you have an issue with people with mental illness (a term so overly broad as to be mostly useless in public policy discussions) or with transgender people owning firearms? If so, who else are you comfortable discriminating against?

Any person who is laughed at for their personal history and denied their rights in seeking a firearms license application is perfectly suited to go scorched earth on the ignorant government bureaucrats who are being discriminatory and to make that experience as public as they like, and all of us should support them 100% in that fight, as it is all OUR rights that are being infringed. Only thing is they happen to be the victim, this time...
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Contact a lawyer or your MP and have them call on your behalf.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fraserdw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BioPace View Post
    Call the CFO and tell them that you think you're being denied because you're transgender and you're going to contact a lawyer and make a human rights case out of it.

I reckon you'll have your PAL by return mail.
    This. Use it while its worth something.
    Recovering soldier, 34 years. For 34 years I have apparently served a tyranny, the Canadian people have my apologies. Had I only known......

"I enforced the law as written. It was not for me to determine to morality of hostage executions, confiscation of property or the deportations. It was German law and I was a German policeman." Detective Sgt Heorgen, Koln. Trial statement 1947.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast