Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should I just withdraw my PAL/RPAL application?

Should I just withdraw my PAL/RPAL application?

Officially been one year since I submitted my PAL/RPAL application. I'm beginning to lose hope of ever getting my PAL and am tempted just to withdraw my application at this point.

I had an issue a few years back where someone who thought I was suicidal called the police on me. It was a misunderstanding and the person who reported me now agrees I was never suicidal.

The CFO said I "failed to disclose" my police interaction because I checked off "no" to the question about being reported to the police for violent behaviour. I took it as violence towards others (esp since the question right before was asking about mental health issues and suicide) but apparently it also includes self-harm. So when someone reported me to the police for being suicidal because they mistook something I said, that counts. So, now he's saying I violated the Firearms Act. Yet, everyone (including many cops) I've talked to believe the question is referring to domestic abuse. They were all surprised when to hear that my situation would fall under it.

The CFO laughed in my face when I asked him how to get the record corrected. He said it's impossible and wished me luck.

On top of that, I'm transgender (I live "stealth" which means no one knows). The CFO has made some less than pleasant remarks about my gender and medical transition. 9 years ago, I was misdiagnosed with depression and given anti-depressants. Was on them for less than a year before I was correctly diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder and given the proper treatment.

I've always loved firearms but I'm beginning to think getting a PAL is just not worth it. Does anyone have advice on what I should do? I'm beginning to think the only way I can get my PAL is to lawyer up

Call them

CGN frequent flyer 84fuegoturbo's Avatar
    Call them

Call them, Only they will have the answer.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

CGN Regular
    Don't quit now.

Hire a lawyer and get them to call!

Scott
    "Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet again"

Call them and get details on why it is taking so long.
    Smokeless powder is just a passing fad. #1 gun rule,carry one.

If you really want to pursue this, it sounds like you're going to have to involve a lawyer. My recommendation would be one who specializes in firearms law. You're in Ontario, so I suggest you look up Ed Burlew and give him a call.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by m39a2 View Post
    Hire a lawyer and get them to call!

Scott
    Call the CFO and tell them that you think you're being denied because you're transgender and you're going to contact a lawyer and make a human rights case out of it.

I reckon you'll have your PAL by return mail.
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free.
    Bureaucracy not an instrument of democratic government but, on the contrary, the worst enemy of freedom and democracy.
    If the penalty for a crime is a fine, then that law only applies to the poor.

CGN Regular
    Maybe your MP could help you out? Seems you may be experiencing some discrimination possibly. Don't give up.
    Insert clever signature here...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast