Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Da 50 for stag 10 lower

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but this has been suggested years ago, canam replied "we'll look into it" and still isn't reality, so I guess they looked into it and don't believe it would be profitable, so I doubt it's in the cards:
    https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...G-and-the-AR10

Since the first thread, thousands of BCL102/STAG10/Matrix have been sold, and canam has replenished their stock or AR15-DA50, so I guess they don't see profits in making them for the multitude of 102 lowers that are around.

If someone has the tooling however, they could buy the stock of "gunsmith special" barrels and run with the project. Maybe a more "boutique" shop would be better positioned to make this a profitable project. YMMV.

I think what people are failing to realize is CanAm is not making theses uppers. They are assembled with already available pieces. The US dictates the market and since they can shoot an AR wherever they want they are extremely popular so the support for that platform is huge. We aren’t so lucky. We have a very small market. So wether someone makes a lower that is NR and modifies the upper to fit it or someone makes one to fit a current NR lower we have it’s going to be custom. And since our market is way smaller than the states and in that market there won’t be huge demand for this it’s almost one offs. Anytime you deal in custom one offs the price is high. Just the way it works. The price goes down when you can sell quantities. There are plenty of machine shops out there that could make an upper for the stag 10 with the guts from the DA50 upper. Go talk to one and see if they’d be interested and how much they would sell it for. Then also remember that this upper has to take the abuse of a 50 so having a machinist who’s familiar with the forces involved in that will shrink the number of machinists out there that I would trust to make it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorerider View Post
    I think what people are failing to realize is CanAm is not making theses uppers. They are assembled with already available pieces. The US dictates the market and since they can shoot an AR wherever they want they are extremely popular so the support for that platform is huge. We aren’t so lucky. We have a very small market. So wether someone makes a lower that is NR and modifies the upper to fit it or someone makes one to fit a current NR lower we have it’s going to be custom. And since our market is way smaller than the states and in that market there won’t be huge demand for this it’s almost one offs. Anytime you deal in custom one offs the price is high. Just the way it works. The price goes down when you can sell quantities. There are plenty of machine shops out there that could make an upper for the stag 10 with the guts from the DA50 upper. Go talk to one and see if they’d be interested and how much they would sell it for. Then also remember that this upper has to take the abuse of a 50 so having a machinist who’s familiar with the forces involved in that will shrink the number of machinists out there that I would trust to make it.
    There's already someone modifying the DA50 to make it fit a custom non-AR (therefore NR) lower. The point of making it fit a Stag10 instead of that custom lower would be to save on the price of a custom, one-use only lower (~650$), not to save on the price of the mod.

I'm fairly certain that a Stag10 lower can take much more abuse than an ordinary tiny AR15 lower. One is built for 308, the other for 223.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyQC View Post
    There's already someone modifying the DA50 to make it fit a custom non-AR (therefore NR) lower. The point of making it fit a Stag10 instead of that custom lower would be to save on the price of a custom, one-use only lower (~650$), not to save on the price of the mod.

I'm fairly certain that a Stag10 lower can take much more abuse than an ordinary tiny AR15 lower. One is built for 308, the other for 223.
    I realize that. The problem is it isn’t a simple mod to make an AR-15 upper mount on a stag 10 lower. You would have to make a brand new upper. Hence needing one off machining done. The current NR lower for it is the same size as an AR lower but it changes how it mounts so an AR upper can’t mount to it. Either way you go someone in Canada is making a custom low number run of an upper or a lower. CanAm is sourcing the parts for this out of the states where they are “mass” produced. There’s only one Canadian option for this and that’s a NR lower for their upper that requires a mod to the upper. If someone wants to take on the project of having an upper made for the DA bolt and barrel to fit the stag 10 lower have at it. If it was cheaper than the lower and modified upper I’d buy it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tharkhold's Avatar
    Stag-10
    'nada

CGN Regular
    Would it be possible to machine an adapter of sorts? One that pins into the AR pins on the top and the stag pins on the bottom? It would add some height so a custom hammer would need to be made to account for that I assume. It would probably end up being just as expensive as any other option though .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Max Owner's Avatar
    Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    Over a month and six pages and no response from CanAm........

No one's taking the hint?
    Shooter and Collector (kinda)

Never Forget Best Friends.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by PatchRat View Post
    Actually, you "concur", but with a non-restricted .50 cal, you could probably conquer as well!
    lol nice catch thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matm View Post
    Would it be possible to machine an adapter of sorts? One that pins into the AR pins on the top and the stag pins on the bottom? It would add some height so a custom hammer would need to be made to account for that I assume. It would probably end up being just as expensive as any other option though .
    An adaptor to make a DA50 mount on a Stag 10 would make the Stag 10 restricted, because it would allow you to mount an AR-15 upper to that lower. That’s the RCMPs definition of variant when it comes to the AR. So let’s completely steer clear of that idea. Right now the ATRS lower is the easiest option. If someone wants to take on the task of machining a new Stag 10 upper to house the DA50 bolt and mount the barrel have at it. I guarantee you it won’t be a cheap under taking.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorerider View Post
    You would have to make a brand new upper. Hence needing one off machining done.
    Not just upper, I suspect the bolt / barrel extension would have to be custom. Probably not as technical as the AR barrel extension, but it would still have to be figured out.

@Canam, would it be possible to get a DIY gunsmiths-special kit for ~everything minus the upper ?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast