Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Registration shut down?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    I am not one to answer legal questions, so this is only my opinion.

The FRT is not law, it has no legal authority but it is the opinion of the appointed Government "experts" and this carries weight in court. I see no legal issues when some one changes their opinion. If that changed opinion is enforced as law then I see it as open to be challenged in court. The resulting decision then sets a legal standard. This is why if the Judges decision is not viewed favorably by the Government they will appeal to a higher court. This is why if a legal challenge is made, the case must be prepared very carefully or we finish up with a mess like, "the ease of conversion" which was not clearly defined by the judge.

Again this is only my personal opinion.
    It begs the question “at what point are the experts no longer considered to be experts?”

If the lab constantly changes the status of firearms in the FRT and they are the legal experts that classified the guns initially (no laws have changed to trigger a change in classification if the gun) then aren’t they destroying their own credibility when it comes to being experts?

Quote Originally Posted by gutinater View Post
    It begs the question “at what point are the experts no longer considered to be experts?”

If the lab constantly changes the status of firearms in the FRT and they are the legal experts that classified the guns initially (no laws have changed to trigger a change in classification if the gun) then aren’t they destroying their own credibility when it comes to being experts?
    That is exactly my thoughts! This system needs to be open and transparent with an appeal process and accountability. A time limit should be set. This was achieved by Diective Number Nine implemented by Minister Blaney after a group of us met with him, this directive was rescinded emmediatly the liberal Government got back in power.

Now the Liberals have gone a step further and have stated the RCMP will classify firearms with out Government interference. This Leads me to believe their opinion will be as good as law if no appeal is allowed.

CGN Regular
    Government is not planning to grandfather are they? I guess there is a chance they will change their mind. Then you can have a safe queen...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Just something to think on, this is pure speculation on my part!

In the past when prohibited classes were created the "Grandfathered" individuals had to have a firearm in that class either registered to them or application to register made before the cut off date.

At that time we were handicapped as import approvals were delayed.

With the current system if the CFC registry was closed "application to register" would be impossible. Computers could be down, there could be staff shortages, files could be lost, the excuses are endless.

If you are thinking of purchasing a currently restricted firearm I would not leave it until the last minute, you might find that due to "Technical difficulties" you have run out of time, there would be no appeal.

CGN Regular
    Do the registration certificates come from the provincial CFO or from Ottawa? If it’s from the Alberta CFO I think I should be fine....

Quote Originally Posted by gaston111 View Post
    Do the registration certificates come from the provincial CFO or from Ottawa? If it’s from the Alberta CFO I think I should be fine....
    Dream on, to the best of my knowledge, all registrations have to be approved by the CFC. I would be very surprized if any CFO (who are Federal employees) could go against this even if they wanted to.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456