Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Canadian credit cards in Canada with no foreign transaction fees save 3 to 5 percent

Quote Originally Posted by Val_C View Post
    Personally I use and recommend the following no annual fees, no FX fees credit cards: ... STACK Pre-Paid Mastercard - no FX exchange fees and no credit check/hit when applied (!) as it's not a credit card, but pre-paid card.
    Wow, Stack looks great! Right now I use Mogo but they recently they started adding a Foreign Purchase 3% fee and you can no longer top it up with your bank account so I have to use Canada Post and pay the $3 fee per $500 topup How do you top up your stack card? E-mail money transfer/EMT? Do you happen to know if you can use EMT to top it up from a different name that's on the credit card? I send that question to their support, we'll see what they say. If it's a yes I'm switching from Mogo to Stack. Thanks again!
    Have fun and safe shooting! **Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**

Quote Originally Posted by MapleSugar View Post
    My little rat ears are perked up. Would that circumvent the bank exchange rate?
    If you ask for the "corporate" rate at Continental Currency Exchange (I used the one in the Oshawa Center, not sure if there are more locations) they will beat any of the banks best rates. If they asked who you referred you for the corporate rate tell them Scott Penfound. They can do any sum of money, small, large or very large.
    Have fun and safe shooting! **Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**

Quote Originally Posted by dirtygrandpa View Post
    Wow, Stack looks great! Right now I use Mogo but they recently they started adding a Foreign Purchase 3% fee and you can no longer top it up with your bank account so I have to use Canada Post and pay the $3 fee per $500 topup How do you top up your stack card? E-mail money transfer/EMT? Do you happen to know if you can use EMT to top it up from a different name that's on the credit card? I send that question to their support, we'll see what they say. If it's a yes I'm switching from Mogo to Stack. Thanks again!
    STACK is the best prepaid card on Canadian market now. Free with a lot of perks.
    There are multiple ways to load it I personally use EMT and EMT can be done from any bank account.
    There is no requirement about the same names on card and account from where it's funded.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer MapleSugar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygrandpa View Post
    If you ask for the "corporate" rate at Continental Currency Exchange (I used the one in the Oshawa Center, not sure if there are more locations) they will beat any of the banks best rates. If they asked who you referred you for the corporate rate tell them Scott Penfound. They can do any sum of money, small, large or very large.
    Thank you, Scott!

I'm in BC. It looks like they only have offices in Ontario.

They do deliver to businesses or homes though.

https://continentalcurrency.ca/buy-currency-online/
    The Plague Rats go marching one by one! Hurrah! Hurrah!...

Quote Originally Posted by Val_C View Post
    STACK is the best prepaid card on Canadian market now. Free with a lot of perks.
    There are multiple ways to load it I personally use EMT and EMT can be done from any bank account.
    There is no requirement about the same names on card and account from where it's funded.
    Flawless. You answered faster than their support e-mail address did. Thanks again. Signing up now. EDIT: Had to go through the signup three times to get it to stick, kept getting "server error". Hopefully I can disable two factor auth.

EDIT EDIT: Wow, loading funds by EMT is instant and painless, works from any account, just like you said! I already topped up my "virtual" card. Goodbye Mogo! lol.
    Last edited by dirtygrandpa; 01-19-2020 at 05:35 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rommelrommel's Avatar
    I keep a RBC Bank US account and Visa, it costs me $6 a month but I can receive money via my US ###### and keep the funds in my US bank account instead of getting hooped on exchange multiple times when I buy and sell knives, gear, computer stuff, etc out of the states. I do pay a not great exchange rate when I need to send cash to the USA but it's hard to work around that. It also is a truly US issued card on a US bank so you don't run into any authentication problems when buying off of US retailers.

I don't think this is the absolute most economical way to do it but it does offer a lot of flexibility.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadukar123 View Post
    This is a good card if you qualify. You have to make 80k a year, or 150k per household.

The cashback is a bit annoying to use, as you need to gain a minimum of $20 before using it.

For a free credit card, it also comes with a bunch of insurance packages.

Can't beat free.
    Even if you don't qualify for the a World Elite, you can get the basic Rogers Credit card and it also has more cash back on foreign purchases than the fee is. If you auto pay your Rogers mobile bill with it the fee is waived too.

As a bonus, With time they'll likely upgrade you even if you don't meet the requirements - after having the basic one for ~two years my wife got upgraded and we don't make $80k as a household let alone $150k.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

I have both for MC (Brim) & Hometrust (Visa). I find the foreign conversion rate of Visa was lower than MC from my last year's purchase. Also starting this 2020, any foreign purchases from HT will not be available for cashback. But you woud still enjoy the same 0% foreign conversion fee. So I would likely to use Brim at this time though.
    If you want to survive...then you must be built for the kill...

Open a US account and get a US funds credit card. Fill your US account when rates are good (hopefully that happens again!) and pay your card with that. No fees.
    Show respect even to people who don't deserve it; not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SteelCap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onagoth View Post
    Yes. I use my cash back for any eligible purchase, which seems to include almost everything

In total, I’ve redeemed nearly 2k so far and I don’t have any Rogers services
    Just a side post...MBNA Mastercard offers 2% cash back on anything.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast