Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Canadian credit cards in Canada with no foreign transaction fees save 3 to 5 percent

I've got a rogers bank MC.no annual fee and 3% (used to be 4%) back on foreign transactions.
    Getting a US card is not that easy.
    First,your credit rating from Canada does not apply over in the USA so you start from scratch.
    Best Buy refused me so i got a small bank near me in Alabama to get me a visa CC.Only 1500$ limit and i payed off as soon as i saw a balance.
    I tried to get a higher limit but they refused.maybe now i can get it raised but i'll do that when i get back to the states.
    member : CCFR CPC

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyP View Post
    scotiabank passport. Both have an annual fee but cancel before end of first year and the sign up bonuses are pretty good right now. ratesdotca and greatcanadianrebates has offers to get additional $100-150 too
    I agree the scotiabank visa infinite passport is worthwhile since they'll generally waive the fee for well qualified applicants if you have some of their other products, or if you just ask (I'm on my 6th year w/o fees). If you travel internationally extensively it can be worth getting given the 350$ sign-up bonus, 6x lounge passes, car rental insurance and travel insurance suite.

Bringing up old thread about no FX credit/prepaid cards.
    Just heads up for those who use STACK - they change their terms and condition from February 1 2022 and WILL charge you 2.5% on FX fees. The charge will be waived if you will spend $350 a month on the card.
    The official text of the announcement received via email is below:

We always have been–and always will be–committed to providing the most valuable banking features for you. Since our launch in 2018, we've grown our product (and the team alongside it!) to continue our mission to bring innovative financial products to Canadians.

To sustain STACK and to bring all users more features and tools to help you achieve your financial goals, we will be implementing a 2.5% fee on FX purchases as of February 1st, 2022. We didn’t take this decision lightly, we are implementing this fee to continue to serve you better.

That said, we understand that saving on FX is still important and we're committed to being one of the best FX cards in the market. That’s why we’re still offering 0% FX on purchases up to $1000 CAD, when you spend $350 CAD or over each month. This will come as a 2.5% FX cashback that will be automatically credited to your account in the following month (For example, if you spend $500 internationally in February, you will receive $12.50 in FX cashback in early March).

Thank you for your continued support.
    - Your Friends at STACK

Terms & Conditions

STACK charges a 2.5% Foreign Exchange Fee on all transactions in a foreign currency. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the amount of the transaction and is charged for purchases and cash withdrawals made in a foreign currency. STACK will reimburse eligible cardholders on Foreign Exchange Fees on up to $1,000 CAD of foreign spend outside of Canada, up to a total of $25 credited each month. Eligible cardholders are defined as those who spend a minimum of $350 CAD in purchases in a calendar month.
    “Foreign Exchange (FX) Fee” means the percentage of the amount of the transaction that is charged for purchases and cash withdrawals which occur in a foreign currency.
    “Foreign Exchange (FX) Fee Reimbursement” means the Foreign Exchange Fee that is credited back to eligible cardholders.
    Terms may be subject to change at any time.

So the card might become worthless for my purposes, but if you'll spend more than $350 it's still somewhat an option.
    For those who interested in no FX cards there are still other alternatives to STACK available.
    Last edited by Val_C; 12-30-2021 at 11:30 AM.

GunNutz
    Or you guys can charge in canadian funds like everyone else in alberta

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Should have gotten one before I retired.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Val_C View Post
    Bringing up old thread about no FX credit/prepaid cards.
    Just heads up for those who use STACK - they change their terms and condition from February 1 2022 and WILL charge you 2.5% on FX fees. The charge will be waived if you will spend $350 a month on the card.
    The official text of the announcement received via email is below:

We always have been–and always will be–committed to providing the most valuable banking features for you. Since our launch in 2018, we've grown our product (and the team alongside it!) to continue our mission to bring innovative financial products to Canadians.

To sustain STACK and to bring all users more features and tools to help you achieve your financial goals, we will be implementing a 2.5% fee on FX purchases as of February 1st, 2022. We didn’t take this decision lightly, we are implementing this fee to continue to serve you better.

That said, we understand that saving on FX is still important and we're committed to being one of the best FX cards in the market. That’s why we’re still offering 0% FX on purchases up to $1000 CAD, when you spend $350 CAD or over each month. This will come as a 2.5% FX cashback that will be automatically credited to your account in the following month (For example, if you spend $500 internationally in February, you will receive $12.50 in FX cashback in early March).

Thank you for your continued support.
    - Your Friends at STACK

Terms & Conditions

STACK charges a 2.5% Foreign Exchange Fee on all transactions in a foreign currency. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the amount of the transaction and is charged for purchases and cash withdrawals made in a foreign currency. STACK will reimburse eligible cardholders on Foreign Exchange Fees on up to $1,000 CAD of foreign spend outside of Canada, up to a total of $25 credited each month. Eligible cardholders are defined as those who spend a minimum of $350 CAD in purchases in a calendar month.
    “Foreign Exchange (FX) Fee” means the percentage of the amount of the transaction that is charged for purchases and cash withdrawals which occur in a foreign currency.
    “Foreign Exchange (FX) Fee Reimbursement” means the Foreign Exchange Fee that is credited back to eligible cardholders.
    Terms may be subject to change at any time.

So the card might become worthless for my purposes, but if you'll spend more than $350 it's still somewhat an option.
    For those who interested in no FX cards there are still other alternatives to STACK available.
    Gotta love marketing garbage, first two sentences is just a waste of time to write, print and for me to read.

Just get straight to the frigging point.

You are going to charge for FX fees starting XYZ date, end of story.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by toyboy View Post
    I've got a rogers bank MC.no annual fee and 3% (used to be 4%) back on foreign transactions.
    Getting a US card is not that easy.
    First,your credit rating from Canada does not apply over in the USA so you start from scratch.
    Best Buy refused me so i got a small bank near me in Alabama to get me a visa CC.Only 1500$ limit and i payed off as soon as i saw a balance.
    I tried to get a higher limit but they refused.maybe now i can get it raised but i'll do that when i get back to the states.
    No annual fee and you get cash back?

What kind of socery is this?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678