SHOT SHOW 2020: Brownells BRN-180 Pistol Updated with new pics

greentips

Administrator
Moderating Team
Rating - 100%
261   0   0
I have been intrigued by the Brownell BRN-180 for awhile so I finally got the chance to see it and shoot it. Very interesting "bastardized" lower which is basically a SIG MCX like lower. Word from Brownell is that they will create a lower that is more aesthetically like the original AR18, but I don't really know why they will want to do that , because the AR18 looks like a box for the reason it is made by stamped sheet metal technology of the 60's. If they are making a modern AR18, may as well stick with modern materials and modern ergonomics.

The upper also retains some old AR18 features, such as the crank like charging handle and dust cover(which is now made of plastic) The recoil is, maybe, slightly sharper than your typical AR from a 11" bbl, but it doesn't feel like the spent casing is being knock out by a hammer as in the HK and other push rod "AR". Pretty good modernization of the AR180.

Again, they took the MCX's detachable stock adaptor idea......

BRN180A.jpg

BRN180B.jpg

* New pictures on show floor - the AR18 look alike lower with 16" barrel.

BRN180c.jpg

BRN180D.jpg

BRN180e.jpg

Attachments

• BRN180A.jpg
    BRN180A.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,972
  • BRN180B.jpg
    BRN180B.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,975
  • BRN180c.jpg
    BRN180c.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 1,244
  • BRN180D.jpg
    BRN180D.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,247
  • BRN180e.jpg
    BRN180e.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,255
Last edited:
It’s an AR upper as well technically.

Brownells basically designed a AR15 upper that fits all the 180 guts so it can attach to ar15 lowers

I don't understand stuff like this; when there are already so few unique guns out there why do companies go through so much trouble, work so much overtime to take those unique guns and make them the same cookie cutter ARs that already flood the market? Don't get me wrong, AR15s are wicked cool and they're probably my favourite design out there. However, there is room for different designs and not everything has to be the same.

I don't understand stuff like this; when there are already so few unique guns out there why do companies go through so much trouble, work so much overtime to take those unique guns and make them the same cookie cutter ARs that already flood the market? Don't get me wrong, AR15s are wicked cool and they're probably my favourite design out there. However, there is room for different designs and not everything has to be the same.

Because it’s not a cookie cutter AR.

It’s short stroke piston driven,no buffer assembly needed,can be fired with the stock folded,or used without a stock period,it’s also got a built in gas switch so those who can use suppressors can easily switch between a suppressed gas setting,and non suppressed gas setting.

Did I see correctly that there is no hole for the buffer in the new lower? Any potential for NR status because of that? Any AR lower would fit but wouldn't function...

Did I see correctly that there is no hole for the buffer in the new lower? Any potential for NR status because of that? Any AR lower would fit but wouldn't function...

If it fits on a standard AR15 lower reciever, it's an AR15 upper. If it's an AR15 upper, anything it fits on is an AR15 lower. Restricted.

Because it’s not a cookie cutter AR.

It’s short stroke piston driven,no buffer assembly needed,can be fired with the stock folded,or used without a stock period,it’s also got a built in gas switch so those who can use suppressors can easily switch between a suppressed gas setting,and non suppressed gas setting.

Short stroke piston gas systems are *very* popular nowadays because of the reduced fowling in the BCG, I'm pretty sure there are even conversion kits out for DI guns. So that doesn't set it apart as much as one may think. About all it's got going for it is the folding stock, which few other ar-style guns have. Sig has their MCX and there are some canadian offerings that can do it. However a folding stock, for me doesn't set it apart enough. Personal opinion, of course!

Short stroke piston gas systems are *very* popular nowadays because of the reduced fowling in the BCG, I'm pretty sure there are even conversion kits out for DI guns. So that doesn't set it apart as much as one may think. About all it's got going for it is the folding stock, which few other ar-style guns have. Sig has their MCX and there are some canadian offerings that can do it. However a folding stock, for me doesn't set it apart enough. Personal opinion, of course!

Ok,don’t buy it!

An updated AR-180 design that have a lot of parts in common with AR's and a reasonably priced piston upper?

Yeah, what is there not to love?

Back
Top Bottom