Thread: SHOT SHOW 2020: Angstadt Arms MDP9 UDPATED with New Pics

SHOT SHOW 2020: Angstadt Arms MDP9 UDPATED with New Pics

I finally got the chance to visit Angstadt Arms and looked inside the guts of their new MDP9 Delayer Roller 9mm pistol.

First of all, MDP9 has a suggest retailing price on par with B&T APC 9, at $2599 USD. So it is a chunk of money, almost a 1000 bucks more than the straight blow back AR-9. For that 1000 dollars difference, the delayer roller in the MDP9 does make a huge difference. The AR9 is essentially a Colt 9mm under a different skin, so if you have shot enough 9mm Colt-variant blow back guns you can expect the same hard push. In fact, I would rather shoot a 300 black out instead of a Colt patterned straight blow back 9mm.

The MDP9 is much smoother and less recoil than the blow back guns. When I shot it at the range day, the red dot doesn't venture out that 8" plate at all at the 10m line. With the AR9, I could see the red dot rose to the top half of the plate and then came back down, and I had to wait for it . There was a big difference in the split time.

Name:  AngstadtArmsMDP9.jpg
Views: 2220
Size:  113.6 KB

The pistol looks like the straight blow back AR9 at the first glance, but a second look shows that there is a row of bolts on each side of the receiver. These bolts hold a pair of internal guiding rails for the bolt assemble. Once the upper is popped open, there is a notch at the end of the receive that keeps the spring loaded bolt assemble end piece in place. Simply depress the end piece and the bolt assembly will then slide out.

Name:  MPR9A.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  144.8 KB

Name:  MPR9B.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  122.0 KB

As you can see, the bolt is not your typical AR style bolt. It has some resemblance to the HK delayed roller system. The bolt carrier has full length rail engagement and the bolt looks like the MP5 bolt.

Name:  MPR9C.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  130.6 KB

Overall, it is a very nice piece. Very compact and very low recoil.
    Last edited by greentips; 01-23-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

This has my attention.
    The seven blunders of the world:
    Wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, and politics without principle.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

see major update on page 1.

any plans for some kind of 16" for USPSA competition enthusiasts?
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Have you shot the HK SP5? How would you compare recoil versus HK mp5?
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1970
    My grandfather never worried about the dents in his mil-surps, he would say "that dent may be all that's left of some fellow's life."

Quote Originally Posted by Ced1942 View Post
    Have you shot the HK SP5? How would you compare recoil versus HK mp5?
    Shot the MP5 long time ago, so it is probably not fair to say.