Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2020: Shotgun news from Savage

Snow-White Le Mod

SHOT SHOW 2020: Shotgun news from Savage

Three shotguns I took note of, from the Savage booth (and tried two of them at the range on Monday).

Worth taking a closer look at is Savage's new "Renegauge" semi-auto. May be late for them to get in the game of shotguns which take light 2 and a quarter to 3 inch magnum shells, but still, maybe this means they had time to get details right.

Tried it on some clays, ran light and heavy loads. I am not the best fan of recoil - 175 pounds, 5 foot 9 - and have cheek bones which often get punched by the buttstock with some shotguns. This one fit fine. The shotgun is sold with three cheek rests of different sizes to adjust comb height, and three different butt pads to adjust length of pull (14.25 to 15 inches). And they added some shims on top of that for fine tuning of drop and cast. So, there, my face can fit on that shotgun!

Another visible feature of this semi shotgun - the barrel is fluted. Savage's litterature mentions "9%" weight reduction; why not. Beveled loading port makes reloading easy. Seems to be a gun which would be easy to live with; easy to take apart and clean; can't see why it couldn't stand to some abuse. And, it's made in the US, which for Savage maybe something of a good marketing choice.

It's offered in four flavors - Field, Waterfowl, Turkey Obsession and Turkey Bottomland.

Name:  20200121_105255_resized.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  86.5 KB

Aside from this new Renegauge, I took a look at two other shotgun models from Savage.

First: Savage's 301 Turkey. A simple, single shot 410 which happened to be fun to try out. Ejector; manual safety on the side of the receiver; removable choke (extra full). Afordable and easy to use; probably going after new shooters, youth or other smaller people. Not a new model, but my first time seeing them. Also available in 20 ga. Weight is just over 5 pounds for the 410, 6 pounds for the 20 ga.

Name:  20200121_105649_resized.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  112.0 KB

Second, a new single-barrel trap gun - Model appropriately named 555 Trap. Adjustable comb height; nice fit and finish; available in 12 and 20 gauge, and a choice of barrel length for each caliber (30 or 26 inches); "compact" option available (length of pull reduced to 13 inches, from 14.5); nice fit and finish (one would hope so). weights varies from 6.6 to 7.5 pounds.

Name:  20200121_164247_resized.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  104.7 KB
    I like to refurb Lee Enfields!

CSSA, CCFR member

Trap gun looks interesting, thanks for showing us.
    Victory Formation

"Somebody get a gun and shoot it! Doesn't anybody have a gun?" Jaws 1975
    A society grows great when men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

Anything in 16 gauge?
    Slava Ukraini!

BANNED
    Savage can't make quality rifles, wonder if they do a better job with shotguns?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Where are they made, though? Lakefield?
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

Snow-White Le Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by SCDL View Post
    Where are they made, though? Lakefield?
    The Renegauge is all made in 'Murica. Not sure about the 555 Trap. Think the 410 is Turkish.
    I like to refurb Lee Enfields!

CSSA, CCFR member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The stevens 301 is china manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
    Savage can't make quality rifles, wonder if they do a better job with shotguns?
    36 million dead gophers in western canada would disagree with you.
    Victory Formation

"Somebody get a gun and shoot it! Doesn't anybody have a gun?" Jaws 1975
    A society grows great when men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

I really like Savage, but a 7.9lb semi-auto shotgun that retails for ~$1650? That's gotta be the heaviest semi auto duck gun on the market and the price is way too high for a Savage product.

Listed for $1679 on Cabela's for pre-order right now. IMO, it should be $1200-$1400
    I write on huntinggearguy.com

I'm surprised they didn't do a competition shotgun last year they had the competition ARs this year the 110 elite and rimfire precision guns. I'd probably buy one. I like savage quite a bit.
    If Canada banned guns in 1812 and it was not for armed volunteers we would be saying the pledge of allegiance right now. Call me a true Canadian but I believe the annual day we burned the white house down should be a paid holiday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast