Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2020: Weatherby and Titanium and a few dollars

Snow-White Le Mod

SHOT SHOW 2020: Weatherby and Titanium and a few dollars

This year at SHOT SHOW, a lot of "news" about rifles from the big manufacturers are mostly about new calibers offered for existing models. (6.5 Creedmoor, 300 RUM etc). No exception for Weatherby. Their Mark V's, Vanguards etc are still very fine guns. But looking at their booth, I just had to pick this one rifle up and look at it closer.

Name:  20200122_170222_resized.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  43.7 KB

Say hello to the Weatherby Backcountry Titanium, chambered in 6.5 WBY RPM (had to look at the booklet to know what the heck that is - itˋs based on a lengthened version of the .284 Win).

The Backcountry Ti is pretty much great everywhere. the fluted barrel is particularly nice to look at, with a light taper starting after the chamber all the way to the muzzle. Butt pad is apparently 3D printed. Steel parts (barrel, trigger guard, spiral fluted bolt, hollowed-out bolt knob and safety) are ceracoated. Titanium receiver. Carbon fiber stock.

Name:  20200122_170255_resized.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  20200122_170236_resized.jpg
Views: 1891
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  20200122_170227_resized.jpg
Views: 1895
Size:  49.0 KB

Weight, empty? 4.9 pounds. Price? If you must ask... $3349 US.

What? a bit steep? Ok, how about the non-Titanium version. I weighs way more (kidding. 5.3 pounds) and saves you $850.

Name:  20200122_170340_resized.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  40.6 KB
    I like to refurb Lee Enfields!

CSSA, CCFR member

Cool. I'll never buy one, but cool. Too bad it's a MarkV rather than a Vanguard; the latter have always shot better for me, although I suspect they are a bit heavier on average. The price on the Ti one doesn't seem unreasonable, all things considered; especially so if the stock really is carbon fibre.

Interesting little cutout semi-circle at the front of the ejection/loading port. To allow for longer OAL cartridge feeding? I don't think I've ever seen that before.
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to buy it, say "I'll take it".
    If you want to make an offer, say "I'll take it for $X".
    If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

CGN Regular
    Are those brakes permanently fixed, or can they be replaced with just a thread cap?

Snow-White Le Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
    Are those brakes permanently fixed, or can they be replaced with just a thread cap?
    Just stopped at the booth and asked - yup, Weatherby rifles come with a cap to screw on the thread if you decide to remove the brake.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer todbartell's Avatar
    I'll buy one of these in 6.5 RPM when they make a left hand

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by louthepou View Post
    Just stopped at the booth and asked - yup, Weatherby rifles come with a cap to screw on the thread if you decide to remove the brake.
    Much appreciated, thanks for checking!

CGN Regular
    First time I've been interested in a weatherby, as long as it's not pushing a 140 at ridiculous speeds

Louthepou made me come look at this rifle.

You go to pick up a rifle and even though
    you know it will not weigh much you still expect
    it to have a certain weight of feel to it.

I picked it up and was simply amazed.

One of the people running the booth mention that someone picked up expecting a 9 pound rifle and broke the light over the display.
    That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there!

George Orwell

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fremen View Post
    Louthepou made me come look at this rifle.

You go to pick up a rifle and even though
    you know it will not weigh much you still expect
    it to have a certain weight of feel to it.

I picked it up and was simply amazed.

One of the people running the booth mention that someone picked up expecting a 9 pound rifle and broke the light over the display.
    Lol very nice. Those are mighty light rifles but man that's a steep price...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Ya
    Left handed please !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast