Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 CP .308 Win Bolt Action Pistol 12.5 Threaded Barrel Non-restricted ???

BANNED
    I'm sorry to have informed you of yet another ridiculously stupid Canadian gun law Camp Cook.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by driller212 View Post
    It's illegal to cut any barrel below 18.5" in Canada, you'd have to get a whole new barrel made to replace it.
    Its illegal to cut down a RIFLE or SHOTGUN barrel to below that distance WHILE it is installed on a gun, UNLESS you are a licensed firearms manufacturer.

Further, it remains an open question whether or not removing a factory barrel and installing a shorter OEM barrel would save you as the court could easily determine that barrel substitution falls within "a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted,
    (i) is less than 660 mm in length, or
    (ii) is 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length,

The legislative intent is to prevent people from creating their own short firearms. Its an easy argument to make that swapping barrels that in the end has the same result is within the legislative intent of what the criminal code meant to prohibit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    What?

Are you saying that a shorter than 18" barrel cannot be shortened?

If you are your wrong.
    Certainly you can do it. The act of manufacturing a prohibited firearm is not an illegal (except for full making a full auto). The barrel itself would not be illegal either, Unless it was a handgun barrel shortened to under 105mm.

However if that barrel was on a rifle or a shotgun the firearm would then be classed as prohibited, possession of which would be illegal without the appropriate license and registration certificate.

If you have an NR firearm with a barrel less than 18" and your shorten it yourself, then the firearm becomes a prohib. That is clear as day, no debate.

If you have an NR mares leg, which has an OAL of 24", and you change the stock or barrel to make it LONGER, such that the OAL is now 25", then the RCMP SFSS believes that such a firearm will become prohibited, because it has been modified, and has an OAL under 26" or a barrel under 18". Its stupid, but then so is the RCMP SFSS.

Poorly written laws can only possibly yield poor interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by SomebodyTookMyName View Post
    Remember OAL requirements for NR firearms do not apply, so long as (A) the gun cannot be fired when reduced to less than minimum length "by means of a folding or telescoping stock", and (B) the firearm is not "sawed-off or otherwise altered" to below minimum length.

The Rossi Ranch Hands have a 24" overall length and are still NR, because Rossi calls them rifles, AND they do technically have a "stock" which further reinforces their claim that the Ranch Hand is indeed a rifle.

I believe the damning factor here will be that Remington has called this a "pistol" though, which sets a different precedent...
    There are no OAL requirements for NR firearms. NR firearms are the default of what is left over if a firearm escaped the prohibited or restricted definitions. It is the RESTRICTED class of firearms which captures firearms with telescoping stocks, and it is the PROHIBITED class which includes firearms which have been sawed off or otherwise to below minimum length.

Rossi very much markets the Ranch Hand as pistol in the united states, in order to avoid Federal Laws for Short Barrelled Rifles.

It is not the stock that makes the RCMP deem the Ranch Hand a rifle, but the ACTION. Being a Lever, the RCMP are of the mind that Lever Actions are very much an action requiring two handed operation, and therefore do not meet the definition of handgun. A bolt action gun should logically be given the same treatment.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by uAJollyRogering View Post
    Criminal Code states that a prohibited firearm is:

a handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less;
    a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition;
    a rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length;
    a rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26 inches) or more;
    an automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm
    any firearm prescribed as prohibited.

Shorter factory barrels are legal but cutting any factory barrel to below 18" renders it prohibited.
    If you are going to invoke the code, then quote the criminal code, not the RCMP website or whatever resource this might be from.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/.../FullText.html

The RCMP website attempts to summarize the code, but in doing so makes MANY legal errors that could quickly land a gun owner in trouble. Avoid that garbage at all costs.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Regular
    Deleted.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I have a 14" 308 barrel for my Savage model 10. It's great fun! I shoot 150gr bullets using IMR 4198. The Lyman manual lists IMR 4198 for reduced loads under cast bullets so it's safe to use for that.

This Remington could be a great factory-built carbine option if it really comes in as NR :-).
    ***** FREE THE WEST *****

neat, but neat is all.
    I don't see it at all as a good bush gun. but it is neat.
    "an armed society, is a polite society"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    Where I see it as being a super bush gun...

This is by far my favorite bush gun = 27.5" OAL 14" barreled T/C Contender carbine chambered in 338JDJ #2 loaded with 180gr Accubonds @ 2500fps it is a 300 yard capable moose combo with my 200gr SST @ 2350fps loads it is so accurate I can shoot the heads off grouse @ 80 yards.

The 180gr Accubond loads are more powerful - faster than 150gr loads would be from the Rem 700 CP in 308 Win.

I also have 14" barrels in 45 Colt and 375JDJ and looking at ordering a 14" 309JDJ barrel in the next couple of weeks thru Prophet River.

<")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

CGN Ultra frequent flyer drift1122's Avatar
    You can cut any barrel to 18 inches. If you cut the barrel shorter than that dimension the gun becomes prohib period. This is for manually operated actions.
    CCFR/NFA

Uber Super GunNutz DANCESWITHEMPTIES's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    Where I see it as being a super bush gun...

This is by far my favorite bush gun = 27.5" OAL 14" barreled T/C Contender carbine chambered in 338JDJ #2 loaded with 180gr Accubonds @ 2500fps it is a 300 yard capable moose combo with my 200gr SST @ 2350fps loads it is so accurate I can shoot the heads off grouse @ 80 yards.

The 180gr Accubond loads are more powerful - faster than 150gr loads would be from the Rem 700 CP in 308 Win.

I also have 14" barrels in 45 Colt and 375JDJ and looking at ordering a 14" 309JDJ barrel in the next couple of weeks thru Prophet River.

Beautiful rifle! What kind of ballistics do you figure the 308 has out of 12.5" barrel. I thought it fell off dramatically when the barrel was shorter than around 20 inches?
    The key to accuracy is to shoot first & call whatever you hit the target...

If you are not part of the solution, there's good money to be made by prolonging the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by racer111 View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about, but if it isn't made by H&K, it ain't sh*t.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    I guess I get to live in a realm of understanding most can't grasp.
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953