Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 CP .308 Win Bolt Action Pistol 12.5 Threaded Barrel Non-restricted ???

I want one, but I’m holding out for 300BLK

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    I never noticed them because I have been busy putting together much shorter 14" barreled T/C Contender carbines that are 28" OAL.

and for the record I would prefer to have one of these 700 CP carbines in 338 Fed than 308 Win.
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

one could buy the remington PCR rifle in Canada for 1300$ and chop the barrel?

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-pcr

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Bare View Post
    one could buy the remington PCR rifle in Canada for 1300$ and chop the barrel?

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol.../model-700-pcr
    It's illegal to cut any barrel below 18.5" in Canada, you'd have to get a whole new barrel made to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by driller212 View Post
    It's illegal to cut any barrel below 18.5" in Canada, you'd have to get a whole new barrel made to replace it.
    I was just thinking of this example my Ruger American Ranch in 450 Bushmaster has a 16.25" barrel this is a restricted class barrel as explained to me by the CFC a barrel manufactured shorter than 18" is classed as restricted and can be shortened to any length as long as the overall length of the non-restricted firearm is still over 26".

Remember Dlask Arms has a non-restricted 12 gauge 8.5" barreled Rem 870 that is longer than 26" when a butt stock is installed.

Another example would be a $600 - $700 Howa 1500 mini action 10 round detachable mag system in 300 Blackout they are available with 16.25" barrels it would be perfectly legal to shorten this barrel yes IRUNGUNS has these in stock.

I just measured my Ruger American Ranch in 450 Bushmaster with the 16.25" barrel it is appr 36" OAL I could easily - legally whack 5" off that barrel and still have a 31" OAL rifle or leave the barrel this length and put it into a MDT LSS chassis with their folding stock adapter.

Why is it I have never thought about this before?

My experience with shooting a 12.5" and 22" T/C Contender barrels in 45-70 I only had a 100' per second loss of velocity in the 12.5" barrel from the 22" when loaded with 325gr FTX and H322 powder.
    Last edited by Camp Cook; 01-24-2020 at 11:47 PM.
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    I was just thinking of this example my Ruger American Ranch in 450 Bushmaster has a 16.25" barrel this is a restricted class barrel as explained to me by the CFC a barrel manufactured shorter than 18" is classed as restricted and can be shortened to any length as long as the overall length of the non-restricted firearm is still over 26".

Remember Dlask Arms has a non-restricted 12 gauge 8.5" barreled Rem 870 that is longer than 26" when a butt stock is installed.

Another example would be a $600 - $700 Howa 1500 mini action 10 round detachable mag system in 300 Blackout they are available with 16.25" barrels it would be perfectly legal to shorten this barrel yes IRUNGUNS has these in stock.

I just measured my Ruger American Ranch in 450 Bushmaster with the 16.25" barrel it is appr 36" OAL I could easily - legally whack 5" off that barrel and still have a 31" OAL rifle or leave the barrel this length and put it into a MDT LSS chassis with their folding stock adapter.

Why is it I have never thought about this before?

My experience with shooting a 12.5" and 22" T/C Contender barrels in 45-70 I only had a 100' per second loss of velocity in the 12.5" barrel from the 22" when loaded with 325gr FTX and H322 powder.
    You can have a barrel shorter than 18.5" but it has to be "manufactured" at that length so you can't shorten a pre existing barrel it's really silly.

What?

Are you saying that a shorter than 18" barrel cannot be shortened?

If you are your wrong.
    <")))><

I think I heard this before. I have a gsg15 that I had to order a 9” barrel for because the gunsmith said it was illegal to cut down

CGN Regular
    Criminal Code states that a prohibited firearm is:

a handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less;
    a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition;
    a rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length;
    a rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26 inches) or more;
    an automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm
    any firearm prescribed as prohibited.

Shorter factory barrels are legal but cutting any factory barrel to below 18" renders it prohibited.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by glockguy-187 View Post
    This wouldnt be restricted as long as it meets the overall length requirements. And i want one!
    It could be in trouble if the manufacturer keeps calling it a handgun. However, as Uisge points out, this is the exact situation of the Mares Leg. Pistol in the US, rifle in Canada.

If consistent, the RCMP should determine that bolt action necessarily requires two handed operation, like the lever, and therefore this is a rifle. Not being a Semi-Auto, this should be Non-restricted, regardless of barrel or overall length.

They could just as easily determine it is a variant or modified version of any of the bolt action rifles on the prohibited list.

The RCMP SFSS are anything but consistent.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.