Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36464849505152535455565758596061 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 PCR SB Shorty

CGN Ultra frequent flyer infidel29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g36k View Post
    Does anyone have a solution to plug this little hold under the trigger? The edges annoy my finger over time if I'm not using gloves. ARs and 10/22s have rubber plugs for that space in some cases..

Foamy earplug?
    Pump actions speak louder than words.

Do you remember how hard the Liberals fought to keep the registry?
    Now you know why. - Dexter Morgan

CGN Ultra frequent flyer buzzmagoo's Avatar
    There does exist a rubber plug to fill that gap. There were vender( ar 15 platform) that did carry them and possibly still do .
    Hot glue could be used as a filler
    Never ride faster than your Angel can fly !

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pif View Post
    Yes, I've listed bullets and velocities and I think CampCook posted more data previously in this thread.
    150gr SST's will be doing appr 2500fps I believe they will work fine in these short guns.

I'm loading 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips that I had around and 125gr Accubonds.

I found three boxes of 100 150gr jacketed round nose bullets on my shelf I've been thinking of giving them a try for deer hunting.

They should open up very well on deer
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    150gr SST's will be doing appr 2500fps I believe they will work fine in these short guns.

I'm loading 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips that I had around and 125gr Accubonds.

I found three boxes of 100 150gr jacketed round nose bullets on my shelf I've been thinking of giving them a try for deer hunting.

They should open up very well on deer
    It will depend on your powder and the burn rate. I'm using D5744 (Accurate 5744 analogue) and my 147gr loads are 2420fps-ish. Using D4895 I couldn't get close to that.

Look up handgun loads for 15" barreled Prohunter/Encores on Hodgdons site.

The two best velocity powders for that barrel length are IMR3031 and IMR4064

I have both of these powders I use IMR3031 for my 125gr @ 2720fps loads
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

Ill be specific to avoid any witty banter. Using Hornady Brass Federal 210m primers, varget with Barnes TTSX. All cases were trimmed and chamfered at exactly 2.005. bullets were seated using a federal fusion 165g as a guide and then the die tweeked to get overall length of 2.8. Every shell was checked and rechecked using digital calipers. Cases and necks were lubed properly and at no time did I experience any issues while making the ammo. worked a load up from 42.5 to 44.5 in 1/2g increments. At 44.5 chrono recorded 2389 fps and 2404 fps. Only issue was a slight tightness when closing the bolt but I think its due to the ogive being different between the fusion and barnes so I am grabbing a comparator from epps this week and I will test a few more . At 2400 fps this little canon will be an ideal bush gun this moose season. My shots where we hunt are always within 100yrds so I have no concerns with this combination not penetrating or expanding. Would I use this on moose hunting over bogs in NFLD, probably not, thats what my .338 is for but here in Ontario I think this little beast is perfect. I have a 7600 with a 16.5" barrel so when I get the round perfected Ill fire it in the 16.5" and see how much speed the 4" difference gives up. I have no idea how to post pics on here or I would show the guns and the round. Links are below if they actually work. Cheers
    https://ibb.co/album/YX63FJ
    https://ibb.co/album/C1kgFq

I forgot to mention the Barnes were 168g TTSX

Quote Originally Posted by gwhite View Post
    Ill be specific to avoid any witty banter. Using Hornady Brass Federal 210m primers, varget with Barnes TTSX. All cases were trimmed and chamfered at exactly 2.005. bullets were seated using a federal fusion 165g as a guide and then the die tweeked to get overall length of 2.8. Every shell was checked and rechecked using digital calipers. Cases and necks were lubed properly and at no time did I experience any issues while making the ammo. worked a load up from 42.5 to 44.5 in 1/2g increments. At 44.5 chrono recorded 2389 fps and 2404 fps. Only issue was a slight tightness when closing the bolt but I think its due to the ogive being different between the fusion and barnes so I am grabbing a comparator from epps this week and I will test a few more . At 2400 fps this little canon will be an ideal bush gun this moose season. My shots where we hunt are always within 100yrds so I have no concerns with this combination not penetrating or expanding. Would I use this on moose hunting over bogs in NFLD, probably not, thats what my .338 is for but here in Ontario I think this little beast is perfect. I have a 7600 with a 16.5" barrel so when I get the round perfected Ill fire it in the 16.5" and see how much speed the 4" difference gives up. I have no idea how to post pics on here or I would show the guns and the round. Links are below if they actually work. Cheers
    https://ibb.co/album/YX63FJ
    https://ibb.co/album/C1kgFq
    Does 870 furniture just bolt right onto the 7600?

Supposedly the Hornady 190gr Sub-X projectiles do not explode if pushed to normal velocity, I wonder how they would fair for hunting at shorter distance...

The fore end yes but the stock needs an adapter or anything from a 20g. These barnes dont explode either they are all copper its just a question of making sure your over 2000fps for expansion. Their website states 1800fps as minimum but I have my doubts. I considered the berger VLD hunting but due to the short distance shots I have experienced I did not want them exploding into bits, I like moose meat so I try and damage as little as possible. Alot of research went into deciding which bullet to put into the PCR SB specifically for moose in dense bush. I think I made the right choice. Next year with some accuracy testing I may work up a 150 and 130g

I'm thinking you will be surprised at how a 150gr - 180gr cup and core bullet will work at the low velocities

If I were to take my PCR after moose within 100 yards I'd load it with 165gr partitions or Accubonds
    <")))><