Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 41416171819202122232425262728293031323444 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 PCR SB Shorty

CGN Regular
    That seems like an unreasonable delay for sliding one piece of plastic off and putting another one on. Surely timmy the intern could bang these out in an afternoon or two?

I was holding out for one of these but with an unsure delivery date I decided to build my own on a Tikka T3X action with a 12.5" fluted IBI barrel and their barrel nut install in an MDT LSS chassis.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rifleman338 View Post
    I was holding out for one of these but with an unsure delivery date I decided to build my own on a Tikka T3X action with a 12.5" fluted IBI barrel and their barrel nut install in an MDT LSS chassis.
    I for one, would love to see how that turned out.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImMatt View Post
    and how much did it cost?

I would go stainless if I was to put one together.

I believe the stocks on the Rem 700 are MDT stocks
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

Everything except the tube was bought used here on the EE . Optic will be a Vortex Viper Gen2 1x6 that came off my AR that the douchebags said is now prohib. I'll post some pics and a cost build when it all goes together. Only thing I need now to finish is some type of muzzle device that forward blasts for obvious reasons, maybe a Noveske Pig? Was thinking of the Surefire Warden but I don't want to drop that kinda coin on a brake.

I've been planning/scheming/rationalizing a build like this; talked to Jerry at Mystic about ordering the shortie barrel, had both a 783 and a Savage action, a couple of stock choices, etc. all figured out. I've had a 14-inch barreled .308 Encore in the past, and it was cool and fun and...loud. Really loud. Really, really loud. The concussion and the muzzle flash didn't give me pause...actually added to the fun...but the sheer sound volume got real old, real fast. Then, after I played around a bit with the 16.5-inch barreled 783 that was to be the donor, I pretty much decided that 16.5 inches was plenty short enough for my purposes.

The 16.5 barrel is threaded, and I picked up a two-piece brake/blast shield off the EE to try. Just put a few rounds through it this afternoon. and although the gadget works as advertised in terms of re-directing the muzzle blast forwards, it does pretty much nothing discernible in terms of recoil reduction. No fancy-shmancy measurement devices, just watched the sight picture carefully while shooting. The unbraked rifle and the braked/shrouded rifle both seem to jump pretty much the same amount, give or take. So...I get the ballistics of a 16.5-inch barrel...the physical length of an 18.5-inch tube...the muzzle blast (guesstimate) of the longer tube...a weight that exceeds either one of those options (the brake is a Stinger and it's a heavy hunk of steel to hang on this relatively lightweight rifle)...and the weight is poorly balanced to boot.

All these negatives will probably be even more evident with a 10- or 12-inch barrel. In exchange for these concessions, I am getting...what, exactly? Oh, yeah, it's cool. Or, at least, it will look kinda cool if I put it into a chassis like the Remington factory offering. It better look pretty dang cool considering all the negatives piling up here, and maybe some folks will think the cool is enough. Personally, I am an admirer of guns that are shot just for the fun of shooting, but I just don't think that a porky, ballistically-challenged, loud-mouthed little rifle can ever look cool enough to be worth building/owning. Much better to have a buddy do the work and spend the money, so that I can quickly scratch the itch and then move on without commitment.
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to buy it, say "I'll take it".
    If you want to make an offer, say "I'll take it for $X".
    If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

Any updates?

Expired Industry Member
    Looks like we should start to see these late summer/fall

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Camp Cook's Avatar
    Guess its time to get off my butt and start selling a few rifles/barrels so I can afford to buy one of these short guns...

I'm in for one in 308 Win I want it specifically for hunting though should make an awesome think bush Blacktail hunting combo bonus is I just recently purchased a used Leupold compact 3-9x33mm scope that will be perfect for it.Just wish it was available in 6.8SPC to go with my 22" barreled Rem 700 LTR in 6.8spc.
    <")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

Quote Originally Posted by ImMatt View Post
    Where can you purchase just a Tikka receiver/action?