Thread: SHOT SHOW 2020: New Competition Shotgun and Long Range Hunting Rifle from Mossberg

Snow-White Le Mod

SHOT SHOW 2020: New Competition Shotgun and Long Range Hunting Rifle from Mossberg

The BIG news from Mossberg without a doubt at SHOT SHOW was their new "JM 940 Pro" semi auto shotgun.

"JM", for "Jerry Miculek". I think the big news actually isn't the introduction of the new model but rather that they scored big with getting Mr. Miculek to stand behind the shotgun! (Meeting him and his family was quite a highlight of my week at the show...)

Fremen and I had the chance to try the shotgun at Range Day. Fremen has humongous cheek bones. The gun beat the sh... out of his face. My face, being differently proportioned, didn't suffer.

I am not a competition shooter, but I can appreciate the pertinence of features such as enlarge controls, beveled loading port, and so forth.

What I was mostly wondering about though was Mossberg's claim that this gun is "Cleaner-Running. The redesigned 940 gas system allows faster, more reliable cycling at much greater cleaning intervals— up to 1500 rounds."

About this, I can say that, should Range Day serve as proof, the two guns available at Mossberg's table went through a MOUNTAIN of shells. The ground was litterally filled, with empties. Fremen and I stopped there at the very end of the day, they were almost out of ammo and they had brought tons. Guns ran perfectly.

Name:  20200121_173512_resized_1.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  115.8 KB
    Name:  20200121_173532_resized_1.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  115.6 KB

The other new gun I noticed at Mossberg's booth is a new model to their Patriot lineup. Yup, we're talking "budget" or "entry level" category here, but still, given how popular entry-level bolt action rifles are, I took a close look. The Long Range Hunter. Fluted, threaded barrel, extra-high comb, scope rail. Available in in 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 Winchester, 6.5 PRC, and .300 Winchester Magnum (if my quickly-jotted-down notes are to be trusted).

Name:  20200121_173749_resized_1.jpg
Size:  66.1 KB
    I like to refurb Lee Enfields!

CSSA, CCFR member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Auggie Doggie's Avatar
    A 24" barrel is AWFULLY long for my tastes. I much prefer 18" or 20".

Auggie D.
    You CAN get blood from a stone...... IF you throw it hard enough.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer philhut's Avatar
    Mossberg makes some nice stuff. picked up 3 barrel 535 a couple years ago and I am very impressed with performance from that gun with so many options and versatility for so little. Also their AR MMR is one heck of an AR package that surprised the heck out of me with accuracy and quality of build (the price is now 3-400 more than I paid for it a year ago, saying a lot). I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Mossberg again.

I really like the looks of the grey stocked one in the rack !! Any mention of MSRP on those rifles Lou ??...Thanks
    If you take your kids hunting, you Won't have to go hunting for your kids!!!!

My friends..yes. My dog...maybe. My gun....NEVER !!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by louthepou View Post
    The BIG news from Mossberg without a doubt at SHOT SHOW was their new "JM 940 Pro" semi auto shotgun.

"JM", for "Jerry Miculek". I think the big news actually isn't the introduction of the new model but rather that they scored big with getting Mr. Miculek to stand behind the shotgun! (Meeting him and his family was quite a highlight of my week at the show...)

Fremen and I had the chance to try the shotgun at Range Day. Fremen has humongous cheek bones. The gun beat the sh... out of his face. My face, being differently proportioned, didn't suffer.

I am not a competition shooter, but I can appreciate the pertinence of features such as enlarge controls, beveled loading port, and so forth.

What I was mostly wondering about though was Mossberg's claim that this gun is "Cleaner-Running. The redesigned 940 gas system allows faster, more reliable cycling at much greater cleaning intervals— up to 1500 rounds."

About this, I can say that, should Range Day serve as proof, the two guns available at Mossberg's table went through a MOUNTAIN of shells. The ground was litterally filled, with empties. Fremen and I stopped there at the very end of the day, they were almost out of ammo and they had brought tons. Guns ran perfectly.

Name:  20200121_173512_resized_1.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  115.8 KB
    Name:  20200121_173532_resized_1.jpg
Size:  115.6 KB

The other new gun I noticed at Mossberg's booth is a new model to their Patriot lineup. Yup, we're talking "budget" or "entry level" category here, but still, given how popular entry-level bolt action rifles are, I took a close look. The Long Range Hunter. Fluted, threaded barrel, extra-high comb, scope rail. Available in in 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 Winchester, 6.5 PRC, and .300 Winchester Magnum (if my quickly-jotted-down notes are to be trusted).

Name:  20200121_173749_resized_1.jpg
Size:  66.1 KB
    Different magazine extension length for Canada or will there just be a plug inside?
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!