Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the Leupold VX3 Lens

Cleaning the Leupold VX3 Lens

I've posted in the General section of the forum, but someone brought the Korth Group section to my attention, so am re-posting here.

I accidentally got the slightest amount of lubricating oil from a soft rag that I thought was clean. The amount on the lens was minimal, but enough to see the oil streaks when shining a light on it. Since i didn't want to leave oil on the lens, I looked a bit online and saw a number of posts ranging from acetone (wasn't interested), windex (not interested), 70% rubbing alcohol, and isopropyl.

I decided to use a q-tip swap dipped in 99% isopropyl, and it cut the oil very well. I gently wiped down the lens with a kleenex, and then gently cotton swabbed the kleenex dust off. The scope lens looks great.

My concern is that the VX3 has a diamondcoat 2 coating on it. From what I've read online (through google results), Leupold designed the coating to be a bit more sustainable when it comes to less than desirable cleaners. Will isopropyl diminish any of the diamondcoat 2 finish any? I was fairly minimal with application, and it did cut the oil. However, I was having concerns about the lens coating. I've read that the carl zeiss lens wipes use isopropyl alchohol, but am still not sure if that removes any of the diamondcoat 2 coating.

Has anyone else had to clean their riflescope lens with any cleaners, and did they see any damage to the light reflective coatings? I'm hoping I did the right thing here.

I use the Zeiss alcohol based wipes on all of my scopes, including a lot of VX-3's and have never had a problem myself.
    I don't bother with anything else. Maybe Korth can chime in. You may never get an evidence based answer to your question, only anecdotal.
    But I figure if it is safe enough for Zeiss and the Zeiss coatings it is safe enough for Leupold (as misplaced as my confidence may be)

CGN Regular
    Should be safe from my experience. When is doubt leupold has their lifetime warranty. Don’t be afraid to contact them.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Business Member
    Not to worry, the lenses and coatings are safe. Leupold and our tech repair center's use acetone to clean lenses without issue.

KGL

I second the Zeiss wipes they work fantastic

CGN frequent flyer
    where can we buy the Zeiss wipes? any retailers in bc.

believe I got a big box from none other than Jeff Bezos

My buddy just sent me a text 5 minutes ago , he was looking at Nikon Scopes . I told him that I will never buy anything other than Leupold again. Nothing but great experiences with Korth !
    Sorry about Hijacking

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I like to run some steel wool over the lens. Gets everything right off there.

p.s. I'm kidding, please don't do this.

"East of the Rockies, and west of the rest" - Corb Lund
    I've been using this method. Been great so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast