CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Sterling SAI 102 launch - intro sale (held over)

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Here is the FRT... and NO... NEA does not make them for us. NEA is not even an active manufacturing shop anymore.

JR

Page 1
    Name:  STERLING ARMS FRT (1).jpg
Views: 388
Size:  78.1 KB

Page 2
    Name:  STERLING ARMS FRT (2).jpg
Views: 382
Size:  60.1 KB

Page 3
    Name:  STERLING ARMS FRT (3).jpg
Views: 381
Size:  24.2 KB
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

The problem with the Ejection Port Door is that the radius of the corners of the Port Door recess machined into the Upper Receiver are out of spec. The corners of the Port Door do not correctly mate to the machined recess that is supposed to receive them, so the Port Doors do not close flush with the Upper. As a result of the poor fit and closure, the detent on the Door doesn't engage the Upper Receiver to keep the Door closed. The Port Door Detent is NOT adjustable on the metal Door that I was sent. It would be much easier to trim a Polymer Port Door to fit the corner radius of the recess in the Upper Receiver.

A second issue with my Builder's Kit is that I was sent a 6.5 CM Barrel instead of the.308 kit that was ordered. While 6.5 CM is the new sexy calibre for AR10 rifles, I wanted .308 for a reason and will now have to return the 6.5CM Barrel resulting in a Canada Post round-trip build delay. Sigh....

Third, we have the Barrel tolerance issue. While I appreciate the reassurance that all will be well with outsized tolerances between the Barrel Extension and Upper Receiver, I am not so confident that this arrangement will result in the same potential accuracy as a snug-fitting barrel. Having to make and use Soda Can shims to get a snug Barrel fit is pretty hokey by my reckoning. That tells me that something (or some things) is/are out of spec from the factory - either Sterling, IBI, or a combination of both.

Finally, there is the permanence of the Bolt Catch Pin. It does not appear to be a screw-in Pin, as there are no threads in the Pin Hole. However, due to the design of the Lower Receiver there is no way to punch out a Bolt Catch Roll-Pin once installed. WTF? This is a design oversight.

All of this in the first 20 minutes after unboxing makes me understandably nervous about being an early adopter of this platform. I am very interested in what TSE has to say about these and any other issues that arise!
    Mark C

I just re-read my post above and realized that all I've done is trash-talk the new arrival without saying anything positive. That was not my intent, so here are the positives as I see them:

a. Excellent machined surfaces and Anodizing - very clean and even, inside and out! I really like the lack of logos, etc on the Magazine Housing - a very clean look!

b. Perfect fit between billet Upper and Lower Receivers, with correct alignment of contours and surfaces.

c. Nice Handguard design and Upper Receiver fitment.

d. Excellent protective packaging.

e. Super quick response by TSE to my web-site message. They called 5 minutes ago and sorted out the Barrel error as well as my confusion regarding the Ejection Port Doors. A new .308 Barrel will be enroute to me today, avoiding half of the delay associated with the replacement. TSE is also providing Return Postage for the 6.5 CM Barrel. As for the Ejection Port Door, the metal Door that I received is out of spec and should not have been shipped. The Strike Industries Polymer Port Door that is enroute from the manufacturer is the correct Door and will be mailed out to all Sterling purchasers when they arrive at TSE.
    Mark C

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    The problem with the Ejection Port Door is that the radius of the corners of the Port Door recess machined into the Upper Receiver are out of spec. The corners of the Port Door do not correctly mate to the machined recess that is supposed to receive them, so the Port Doors do not close flush with the Upper. As a result of the poor fit and closure, the detent on the Door doesn't engage the Upper Receiver to keep the Door closed. The Port Door Detent is NOT adjustable on the metal Door that I was sent. It would be much easier to trim a Polymer Port Door to fit the corner radius of the recess in the Upper Receiver.

A second issue with my Builder's Kit is that I was sent a 6.5 CM Barrel instead of the.308 kit that was ordered. While 6.5 CM is the new sexy calibre for AR10 rifles, I wanted .308 for a reason and will now have to return the 6.5CM Barrel resulting in a Canada Post round-trip build delay. Sigh....

Third, we have the Barrel tolerance issue. While I appreciate the reassurance that all will be well with outsized tolerances between the Barrel Extension and Upper Receiver, I am not so confident that this arrangement will result in the same potential accuracy as a snug-fitting barrel. Having to make and use Soda Can shims to get a snug Barrel fit is pretty hokey by my reckoning. That tells me that something (or some things) is/are out of spec from the factory - either Sterling, IBI, or a combination of both.

Finally, there is the permanence of the Bolt Catch Pin. It does not appear to be a screw-in Pin, as there are no threads in the Pin Hole. However, due to the design of the Lower Receiver there is no way to punch out a Bolt Catch Roll-Pin once installed. WTF? This is a design oversight.

All of this in the first 20 minutes after unboxing makes me understandably nervous about being an early adopter of this platform. I am very interested in what TSE has to say about these and any other issues that arise!
    Mark,

Firstly: The barrel will of course be sorted and at our cost. I'll have them put a new barrel in the mail today, that way you can use the same tube to ship the wrong one back. I'll have them put a return label inside the tube as well.

1) Did you get a metal dust cover? If so, this was a packer's mistake. Everyone should be getting a Strike Industries dust cover. I condemned all the metal ones as they did not fit the AR10 Gen I dust cover opening. We expect them to start rolling into us over the next few weeks. Everything that went out should have had a checklist in it as a few pins were outstanding, like the gas block retaining pins; they arrived yesterday.

2) I just went back and put 15 barrels into 15 different uppers and while there is some wiggle, I didn't find it more than any other AR I've played with and it was pretty consistent. Though It was by "feel", not with any micrometer test equipment.

3) Yes.... I wished I caught the Bolt catch pin design. It's again, Gen 1 DPMS. A screw would be far better, but we're stuck with it at this point.

I want everyone to be happy with this project, so ask as many questions and I'll do what I can to make everyone content, all the while giving the government the middle finger, with more NR options.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    The detente and plunger on the Strike Industries is adjustable. I don't have any left or I'd do a quick video to show you how to do it.
    Detent is definitely adjustable, thanks for the heads up. Push down on detent ball with a flathead and turn.

I've got a stupid question;
    The cut out for the charging handle tabs, circular.
    The Geissele charging handle tab I got is squared. Worked in my Stag, but not here.
    Looks like the cut out is smaller. Stag cut out is round as well.
    So, what charging handle do I need to get for this?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mumbles Marble Mouth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1newgunnut View Post
    That's fine. Wife wouldn't appreciate me bolting a vice grip to the kitchen table is all.
    C-clamps work great to put a bench vice temporary on a table. I did that for years in a marine shop because I needed the vice to be removable when I didn’t need it. Held 90HP outboard legs in that vice with two c-clamps and one clamp style vicegrip holding it to the bench.
    五六式

Quote Originally Posted by DOOK View Post
    I've got a stupid question;
    The cut out for the charging handle tabs, circular.
    The Geissele charging handle tab I got is squared. Worked in my Stag, but not here.
    Looks like the cut out is smaller. Stag cut out is round as well.
    So, what charging handle do I need to get for this?
    Same problem with mine. I got a Raptor handle. I just filled down the tabs a little bit until it fit. I wish I didn't have to do that though..

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    We should have all of the individual parts and pieces for sale on teh web within a week:

We will be selling stripped uppers, built uppers, gas blocks, muzzle devices, LPKs and other various bits and pieces very soon.

JR
    You shoulda posted that originally ;-). I've got $200 USD of small parts coming from Brownells already.

Btw, I'm going to see if I can solder a extension onto a drill bit and a 6-32 tap to thread the bolt catch hole for a threaded pin. I didn't realize that my parts kit doesn't have the threaded pin but I will try make my own on the lathe. That's a small piece for me to machine :-).
    ***** FREE THE WEST *****

Does anyone know where to find the Tension Screw (preferably with the Rubber Top) that goes in the Rear of the Lower Receiver to push against the Upper Receiver and eliminate Upper/Lower Receiver slop? I reckon that the Screw must be compatible with the Aero Precision Tension Screws provided with eiach of their Lower Receivers....
    Mark C