Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5789101112131415

Thread: Open Letter to Ducks Unlimited

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
    Harper legislation. Sorry but true. While your at it, go up to the first post in this entire thread. Then look up the word “shill”. Then go look in the mirror.
    Is it? That seems inaccurate. Harper's involvement was funding the audit program that already existed.

From an 2014 article on the subject:

The federal government has turned a blind eye to that kind of political action for years, and even formally legitimized it in its 1985 amendments to the Income Tax Act, specifically permitting political activities by charities, subject to specified limits. CRA has recognized that there is significant public benefit to allow charities to speak out, within limits, and has published extensive guidelines on what activities are political, and what are not.

Fundamentally, a charity's purposes and activities must still be charitable, and political activities must be only "ancillary and incidental" to the charitable purposes.

CRA has clarified that up to 10 per cent of the charity's resources can be used for political activities and advocacy provided they do not support a particular political candidate or party, and are:
    "connected with, and subordinate to, the Charity's charitable purposes, and
    based on well-reasoned positions."

The rub is determining when political activities become so significant a part of an organization's activities that they cease to be ancillary and incidental.
    https://rabble.ca/columnists/2014/07...per-government

Here's the policy.

Reference number
    CPS-022

Effective date
    September 2, 2003

This policy statement replaces Information Circular 87-1, Registered Charities – Ancillary and Incidental Political Activities, and provides information for registered charities on political activities and allowable limits under the Income Tax Act (the Act). It also provides a framework that explains how we distinguish between political and charitable activities. In addition, it seeks to clarify the extent to which charities can usefully contribute to the development of public policy under the existing law.

The guidance in this policy statement is based on subsections 149.1(6.1) and 149.1(6.2) of the Act and on general principles of charity law and court decisions that define what is charitable and what is political. This information applies to all registered charities.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ties.html#toc1

The Liberals vowed to change the policy.

On August 15, 2018, the Honourable Diane Lebouthillier, Minister of National Revenue, and the Honourable Bill Morneau, Minister of Finance, issued a joint statement on the Government of Canada’s commitment to clarify the rules governing the political activities of charities. They confirmed the Government would amend the Income Tax Act to implement changes consistent with recommendation no. 3 of the Report of the Consultation Panel on the Political Activities of Charities.

To move forward with its commitment, the Government released draft legislative proposals on September 14, 2018, with a 30-day public consultation period, which would remove the existing quantitative limits on charities’ political activities, while still requiring that charities be operated for exclusively charitable purposes.

Taking into account feedback the Government received from stakeholders in response to the consultation on the draft legislative proposals, the Government has revised its legislative proposals. The information released by the Government on October 25, 2018, proposes new measures which will allow a charity to carry out unlimited “public policy dialogue and development activities” in support of its stated charitable purposes. Consequently, the Canada Revenue Agency will release updated questions and answers and information for charities on the administration of the new rules by the end of the calendar year.
    You can thank Bill C-86 (Budget Implementation Act, 2018, No. 2 - A second Act to implement certain provisions of the budget tabled in Parliament on February 27, 2018 and other measures). https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-86/

On Thursday December 13, 2018, Bill C-86 received Royal Assent. Within this Bill, there are several changes to the Income Tax Act related to charities, especially with regards to political activities. The change allows Canadian registered charities to conduct public policy dialogue and development activities (PPADA) connected to the legal purpose of the charity as long as they are not directly or indirectly partisan. We are awaiting guidance from CRA on how they will interpret the new provisions on political activities. Also the CWP decision will probably one day end up in the Supreme Court of Canada and perhaps they will have a thing or two to say about political activities and how purposes and activities relate to registered charity status.
    https://www.canadiancharitylaw.ca/bl..._royal_assent/

* * * Edit * * *

I dug a little more. I believe you were referring to the Harper era budget omnibus Bill C-38 (Jobs, Growth and Long-term Prosperity Act). Now I see what you're saying.

Here's a snip of an article from 2014 on the subject.

We provide a brief summary of the current legislative provisions, the proposed changes, and the impact of the changes on charitable foundations and organizations.

Current situation

As currently defined in the ITA, charitable purposes include the disbursement of funds to qualified donees, usually other charities.

Charities are permitted to disburse funds as a gift to other qualified donees.

If some of the gifted money is used by the recipient/qualified donee for political purposes, that does not need to be accounted for in the political activities of the granting charity. Only the recipient of the funds must account for its political activities with the use of those funds. Under current guidance and court decisions, the accepted rule is that charities can conduct up to 10 per cent of their activities for political purposes, if those activities are ancillary and incidental (subordinate) to the charitable purpose.

Proposed changes

Bill C‑38 proposes to change the definition of "charitable purpose," to exclude disbursement of funds to a qualified donee where the gift funds a political activity of that qualified donee.

Bill C‑38 will also amend the ITA to introduce a legislative framework in relation to political activities. The definition will read as follows:

'political activity' includes the making of a gift to a qualified donee if it can reasonably be considered that a purpose of the gift is to support the political activities of the qualified donee.

Thus, the making of a gift to a qualified donee, where the gift is for a political activity, is not a charitable purpose.

The definition for "political activity" only requires that a purpose of the gift is to support political activities, and not that the entire gift be used for political activities. Even if only a part of the gift were used by the qualified donee for the purpose of political activities, the entire gift would be considered a political activity for the donor charity.
    https://rabble.ca/columnists/2012/09/changes-income-tax-act-will-restrict-charities-political-activities
    Last edited by awndray; 02-07-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Looks like the petition was started by an individual from Medicine Hat, Alberta.

I’m not sure where the political association would come from? Other than some political parties agreeing that the libs are over stepping their authority by not following proper political process and circumvent proper investigation and debate to strip vetted legal ownership of property. Something that they, the libs. promised to Canada in their first election campaign, fact based not emotionally based policy! They have yet to offer any real evidence that this will make Toronto any safer! Maybe they could quote the success of the long gun registry! If we could get more people who are concerned about their rights and freedoms not just Firearms owners and explain to the people how this is going to cost the Canadian taxpayer probably in the billions of dollars!

Justin is chasing a seat on the UN council and his association with tides and the united nation plan of disarmament should concern all free citizens of the globe but that is a bigger issue at play then what needs to be mentioned here! But it is indeed at play!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax148 View Post
    Looks like the petition was started by an individual from Medicine Hat, Alberta.

I’m not sure where the political association would come from? Other than some political parties agreeing that the libs are over stepping their authority by not following proper political process and circumvent proper investigation and debate to strip vetted legal ownership of property. Something that they, the libs. promised to Canada in their first election campaign, fact based not emotionally based policy! They have yet to offer any real evidence that this will make Toronto any safer! Maybe they could quote the success of the long gun registry! If we could get more people who are concerned about their rights and freedoms not just Firearms owners and explain to the people how this is going to cost the Canadian taxpayer probably in the billions of dollars!

Justin is chasing a seat on the UN council and his association with tides and the united nation plan of disarmament should concern all free citizens of the globe but that is a bigger issue at play then what needs to be mentioned here! But it is indeed at play!
    He’s a Conservative MP

CGN frequent flyer
    Bradley Manysiak is not an MP. The Conservative MP, Motz, is the sponsor.

Just sent off an email to the Manitoba Wildlife Federation requesting if they would be able to post the petition on their site or email members as they have been supporting the firearms community.

MWF articles

http://mwf.mb.ca/2019/12/07/gun-violence-press-release/

http://mwf.mb.ca/2018/11/01/firearm-ban-input/

Good day Sir or Madam, I am contacting you today in regards to the Lieberal forced firearm ban by way of OIC. I have recently come across several of your articles and I am honored to have you in the corner of the firearms community, as one of the few Wildlife organizations championing for this cause. I have also shared your articles on Canadiangunnutz (CGN) forum for all too see your support and efforts. I would like to ask you today if you would be willing and able to post an article or email your members in regards to petition E-2341 set in motion by MP Glen Motz of Alberta. I am very appreciative of your efforts on this matter, and hope if you are able to pass this along.

Please take a moment to sign and share this important petition regarding the impending lieberal gun ban. There are no age restrictions, Thank you, all the best. Pew, pew

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/P...etition=e-2341

Please check your email/spam/junk to confirm signing of petition.

Your signature doesn't count if you don't confirm the email by clicking the link in it.

Thanking you in advance for your time and consideration .

##### #########
    #### ### # # ##### ###
    #######, #######,######
    ### ###
    ##########
    LEST WE FORGET
    I Will Not Seal My Fate Without a Fight, If You See Me Running, I Run To The Front.
    Member of NFA CCFR CSSA NRA DTOM CATI LEFTY MAFIA

Quote Originally Posted by 1ABNDT View Post
    Just sent off an email to the Manitoba Wildlife Federation requesting if they would be able to post the petition on their site or email members as they have been supporting the firearms community.
    They already have more than once included it in email including just the other day

Quote Originally Posted by randas View Post
    They already have more than once included it in email including just the other day

Ty Randas, for the 411.
    LEST WE FORGET
    I Will Not Seal My Fate Without a Fight, If You See Me Running, I Run To The Front.

There’s a Ducks Unlimited in the US too right? Surely the fact that the organization is about migratory animals that fly between the US and Canada there must be some kind of link and/or international collaboration between the two? Can Canadian businesses and/or Canadian Firearms Orgs not touch base with American ones to cause some pressure? I know we’re talking about Canadian laws, but business entities as well as charitable groups are quite international these days.
    Cheers,

Kyle

Is there a special hidden “self destruct” device in the guns these guys are selling you. It sure looks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
    Is there a special hidden “self destruct” device in the guns these guys are selling you. It sure looks that way.
    You might as well go buy a plastic kiddy pool and fill it with water, because that's all you will have when DU is done buying up all the land and turning into conservation habitat with "no hunting" allowed signs posted.
    LEST WE FORGET