Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road to Wolverine - Just a Simple Farmer

Business Member Rep Wolverine .303's Avatar
    Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384

Road to Wolverine - Just a Simple Farmer

This year we are going to give you a little insight into the many roads that have led to Wolverine for our staff members, along with a little backstory and maybe a tale or two from their early days here in the Valley!

TY ( .303 )

SALES MANAGER

In 2011 I was working in the agriculture industry as a farm hand on a smaller Southwest Manitoba cattle farm. It was a simple life and some days I truly miss it but I had bigger and better things in my sight. I wanted to get my foot in the firearms industry so I went over to Wolverine Supplies, my local firearms dealer and through my application in the ring. I walked into the shop, resume in hand, straight from the corrals so I may have not been the cleanest fellow in the shop, but little did I know that was going to work in my favour.

I did not know the owners from a hole in the ground, I could have done some research but to be honest we were working cows and I simply didn’t have the time to sit in front of a computer researching the business. As I approached the counter I gave a big smile and hello and said I was here to drop of a resume! The gentleman behind the counter looked a tad puzzled, said sure no problem let me grab someone for you. He walked into an office out of sight and soon after a lovely woman emerged from the office with an even bigger smile on her face. She accepted my resume and said currently they are not looking for anyone but if anything was to pop up, she would be in touch. I thanked her for her time and headed back to the farm since I said I was only running to town quickly for an errand and had to get back!

It wasn’t the answer I was hoping for but I had to keep my hopes up that something would come soon. The next day I was in the middle of processing some animals and my phone rings, generally its ignored when we are working however I decided to answer it this go around. It was the same lovely voice I had heard yesterday, asking if I could come in for an interview and if so when. I didn’t even hesitate, I said I could be there in 45 minutes. I hollered at the boss, “ I gotta run!!!!” and I was off.

I gave myself no time to clean up, I raced to Virden and went into the Wolverine Den once again. I was taken back into a larger office, ZULU spears and shields all over the walls, trophies from across the globe littered the room. I thought to myself what did I just walk into!?!? I sat down with who I just learned was one of the owners Pat, who took my resume and gave me the call. John the owner sat across from me with Pat, as well as a towering German fellow named Wolfgang. We chit chatted for some time and I learned that John himself was a farmer born and raised, and still active to this day. I had no sales experience or computer skills, yet they asked if I would like to go into sales and my response was simply, “ That sounds like an excellent plan, I will figure it out I’m sure”

Wolverine gave me a chance and I am forever grateful for it, just because I was a simple farm boy didn’t mean I was a simple person. If anything I had a stronger drive to learn as much as I could and put in 110% like I would with everything else I do. John saw that and signed me on without question that day.

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com
    www.wolverinesupplies.com

CGN Regular
    Cool story. Maybe John just likes the smell of cow ####.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cody c's Avatar
    Sounds like a nice family run business, your competing in the picture there?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Right on man Congratulations. Takes big guts to change jobs and industry altogether, I have been on the same career path since I was 15. Good luck to you and Wolverine in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by cody c View Post
    Sounds like a nice family run business, your competing in the picture there?
    Yes Sir, IPSC Nationals 2019 in QC.

Great story mate. Do they still have the old Bren Machine Gun in the store? I remember my days as CDC Delivery being in awe of the place, it was more of a museum with some great showcases dotted around, and I think that old gentleman pulled me out of the ditch more than once after making deliveries there. peace.
    FEAR is fleeting, REGRET is forever

Quote Originally Posted by Dek68 View Post
    Great story mate. Do they still have the old Bren Machine Gun in the store? I remember my days as CDC Delivery being in awe of the place, it was more of a museum with some great showcases dotted around, and I think that old gentleman pulled me out of the ditch more than once after making deliveries there. peace.
    You mean this one?? Yes she is still here

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    One decision will change your life. I bought a triplex instead of a Camaro when i was 18, i never look back.
    Yep, fixed wing is great but rotary wing is ... GREAT. Life is good. JP.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine .303 View Post
    You mean this one?? Yes she is still here

yeah, that's the baby... thanks for posting it up.
    FEAR is fleeting, REGRET is forever

*** Irrelevant to current thread.. ***

. 303 Wolverine
    Last edited by Wolverine .303; 02-10-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast