Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1886 Steyr Kropatschek collection almost finished

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Craig0ry's Avatar
    I don’t know much about these guns, but Iam absolutely in love with the look of that carbine. Being a tubular magazine I guess pointed bullets are out of the question, so would they fire 8x56r styer? Forgive my ignorance, I live milsurps and milsurp ammo but don’t know much about these.
    I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. - Burt Gummer

Do you have more info on this?

I have one of these and for 2 years now have been trying to find out more about the stud on the side and coming up blank. Please tell me you have some info on them or where I could look to find more.

Quote Originally Posted by Horilka View Post
    You are very optimistic in regards of "collection almost finished". Apart of infantry carbine there was artillery carbine and then cavalry carbine. And there was cavalry carbine converted from artillery. Like this one. Those babies are extremely hard to find.

**Image and video linking functions will be enabled after you have contributed more to the forum**

Quote Originally Posted by Craig0ry View Post
    I don’t know much about these guns, but Iam absolutely in love with the look of that carbine. Being a tubular magazine I guess pointed bullets are out of the question, so would they fire 8x56r styer? Forgive my ignorance, I live milsurps and milsurp ammo but don’t know much about these.
    Nope, 8x56R Austrian is not the same as 8x56R Kropatschek.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazghull View Post
    I have one of these and for 2 years now have been trying to find out more about the stud on the side and coming up blank. Please tell me you have some info on them or where I could look to find more.
    I believe it's the inversion of a saddle-ring. The stud rides in a ring on the saddle, as opposed to a ring on the rifle riding on a stud on the saddle.

For mounted troops around the turn of the 20th century, the saddle ring carbines were quite common. Some rifles would instead use a scabbard on the saddle for storage, like the martini-metford and LEC rifles.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Why not just buy a Lee .338 mold and size it down? Read an article about a fellow doing that with a 8x56R Hungarian which is not the same but shares the same groove size.Clover leaves at 50 yards.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer pcvando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Horilka View Post
    You are very optimistic in regards of "collection almost finished". Apart of infantry carbine there was artillery carbine and then cavalry carbine. And there was cavalry carbine converted from artillery. Like this one. Those babies are extremely hard to find.

There is also the "Financial guard" carbine

Quote Originally Posted by mbogo3 View Post
    Why not just buy a Lee .338 mold and size it down? Read an article about a fellow doing that with a 8x56R Hungarian which is not the same but shares the same groove size.Clover leaves at 50 yards.
    This is a good option, assuming the mold drops at bit heavier than the 220gr advertised. I'm using the Lee 329-205 mold which drops at 214gr.

I just found this thread, any updates on the Kropatschek store display ? I have the colonial model and I just got back from the range with her with plenty more trips in mind. These rifles are extremely well built for their time.
    Get Psyched !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12