Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSA PA-15 20 A2 RIFLE on sale 549.99 regular 879.99USD

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
    For anyone building a Non-restricted Modern Sporter or Macabee SLR.

This is without a doubt the fastest, easiest, and cheapest way to build your rifle.

Just buy this rifle, and swap out the receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurkon View Post
    I'd agree. I have a paid for ATRS receiver that I should receive this spring, and if not for my Colt h-bar (1990, 100 rounds through it) that may be banned, I'd be buying this as a doner rifle.
    Could either of you elaborate a bit for this AR-15 noob?

Is it a straight swap out for the receiver, or is machining involved? What are my options (or your recommendations) for a receiver other than ATRS?

Once built, what, if anything, do I have to do for compliance so that it is N/R?

Thanks for your time.
    CCFR Field Officer

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post

Is it a straight swap out for the receiver, or is machining involved? What are my options (or your recommendations) for a receiver other than ATRS?

Once built, what, if anything, do I have to do for compliance so that it is N/R?

Thanks for your time.
    He is just saying if you want to have an A2 style rifle, buying this complete restricted rifle and transferring the parts over is the cheapest way to do it. There are only 2 NR AR15-style receivers in Canada that are NR, ATRS Modern Sporter and Macabee SLR, as far as I know. You would need to add a 18.5" barrel to your build otherwise it would still be restricted even with the aforementioned receivers. I have heard AR15 barrels need a slight mod to fit MS but not sure. Pretty straight forward. Order a AR15 tech mat and you can learn the rifle systems pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by RedCloud View Post

Thanks for your time.
    Rules to be non-restricted:
    - 18.6” or longer barrel
    - have the magical FRT of the receiver set that deems it so
    * the ONLY 2 (current) non-restricted sets available in Canada that are ‘fully’ AR15 parts interchangeable are the ATRS modern sporter and the Maccabee SLR.
    There is also some other guns (not receiver sets) that do accept *some* AR parts: the Kodiak 180, modern Varmint

The swap is as *easy* as take off the parts from the PSA and put them on the receivers mentioned above. All parts will/should fit (remember, these are proprietary receivers, so sometimes Mil-Spec parts may require some minor modifications... example, taking a tiny bit of material by sanding, etc)... but that would be the tolerances of the set you receive.

However, there are some hard parts of building an AR15 that involve needing the correct tools. With the right tools it’s easy... without them it complicates it or makes it impossible/very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by L86 All Terrain View Post
    He is just saying if you want to have an A2 style rifle, buying this complete restricted rifle and transferring the parts over is the cheapest way to do it. There are only 2 NR AR15-style receivers in Canada that are NR, ATRS Modern Sporter and Macabee SLR, as far as I know. You would need to add a 18.5" barrel to your build otherwise it would still be restricted even with the aforementioned receivers. I have heard AR15 barrels need a slight mod to fit MS but not sure. Pretty straight forward. Order a AR15 tech mat and you can learn the rifle systems pretty quick.
    The modern VARMINT requires a different barrel pin location... but those are bought as compete guns, not received sets.

The modern SPORTER accepts 99% of al AR15 parts.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Thanks for clarifying Chief.

Thanks, guys.
    CCFR Field Officer

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    Thanks for your time.
    The big thing here is that the barrel on this rifle is more than 18.5" long.
    Most AR-15s come with a 16" barrel; Which isn't long enough for a non-restricted build.

delete
    Last edited by JeffMan; 05-01-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12