CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: FTP Optics Alpha 3 vs SRO

  1. #1
    Business Member Fast Toys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,444

    FTP Optics Alpha 3 vs SRO

    I have a few people ask how the Alpha 3 compares to the SRO. Here is a quick summary:

    SRO

    Window is round/egg shaped and measures 0.98 x 0.89 inches

    SRO weighs 1.6 ounces

    SRO features 8 brightness levels with 3-8 for daylight use and 1-2 for night vision gear

    Battery = CR2032 with top loading battery

    Dot Sizes = 1, 2.5 or 5 MOA dot

    Motion sensor = not available

    Footprint for mount = Same as RMR

    Warranty = 5 years from date of manufacture

    Retail Price = $ 988.00 with street price of 850-860 CAD


    FTP Optics Alpha 3

    Window is tombstone shaped with window measuring 1.02 x .85 inches

    FTP Alpha 3 weighs 1.46 ounces

    FTP Alpha 3 features ten illumination levels optimized for daylight use

    Battery = CR2032 with side loading battery tray

    Dot Sizes = 6 or 8 MOA dot

    Motion sensor = Yes. Dot will turn off after period of inactivity and then turn back on at same illumination level when motion it detected

    Footprint for mount = Same as RTS-2 and Sig Max (please note RTS-2 mounts with blast shield will need to be clearanced)

    Warranty = 30 months from date of purchase

    Retail Price = $ 499.99


    While the SRO is a good sight, it is not optimized for competition use. The dot sizes are much smaller and not ideal for pistol shooting in bright sunlight. Illumination levels are wasted to accommodate operators with night vision settings. The FTP dot is brighter at peak illumination levels and offers more illumination levels. The bezel of the lens on the SRO is thick and will add more protection if dropped but obscures the target more as a compromise. The glass is egg/round shaped while the FTP version is optimized to track the dot under recoil in the upper portion of the lens. The dot sizes on the SRO are not optimal for pistol competition shooting. The SRO is heavier and the price point is much higher. The FTP Optic has a motion sensor to extend battery and diode life while the SRO does not.


    I hope that helps!
    Fast Toys Shooting Sports
    www.FASTTOYS.ca
    877.955.4896

    Your source for CED, DAA, CamPro, Heavy Grips, CamPro, Shell Sorter, Dillon & More

    Competition pistol shooting courses are available, contact us for details for your club.

    Join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/ftpshootingsports

    Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for all our latest shooting videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/fasttoys2

  2. #2
    Newbie Shinku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    12
    Good info thank you.

    Could you also please compare the FTP OA3 to the Viper/Venom/Razor red dot lines that come with Lifetime Warranty?

  3. #3
    Business Member Fast Toys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinku View Post
    Good info thank you.

    Could you also please compare the FTP OA3 to the Viper/Venom/Razor red dot lines that come with Lifetime Warranty?
    To be honest, I don't know of any high level competition shooters that use any of those red dots. The windows are smaller and the Venom is a 3 MOA and the Viper is a 6 MOA. The dot on them doesn't look that great IMHO. The main advantage would be price point and the warranty. The running joke with the Vortex red dots is you need to buy two so you have one to use while you send the other one back for warranty. If you are not doing competitions, I am sure they are just fine for target shooting.
    Fast Toys Shooting Sports
    www.FASTTOYS.ca
    877.955.4896

    Your source for CED, DAA, CamPro, Heavy Grips, CamPro, Shell Sorter, Dillon & More

    Competition pistol shooting courses are available, contact us for details for your club.

    Join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/ftpshootingsports

    Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for all our latest shooting videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/fasttoys2

  4. #4
    CGN frequent flyer gadget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Toys View Post
    I have a few people ask how the Alpha 3 compares to the SRO. Here is a quick summary:

    SRO

    Window is round/egg shaped and measures 0.98 x 0.89 inches

    SRO weighs 1.6 ounces

    SRO features 8 brightness levels with 3-8 for daylight use and 1-2 for night vision gear

    Battery = CR2032 with top loading battery

    Dot Sizes = 1, 2.5 or 5 MOA dot

    Motion sensor = not available

    Footprint for mount = Same as RMR

    Warranty = 5 years from date of manufacture

    Retail Price = $ 988.00 with street price of 850-860 CAD


    FTP Optics Alpha 3

    Window is tombstone shaped with window measuring 1.02 x .85 inches

    FTP Alpha 3 weighs 1.46 ounces

    FTP Alpha 3 features ten illumination levels optimized for daylight use

    Battery = CR2032 with side loading battery tray

    Dot Sizes = 6 or 8 MOA dot

    Motion sensor = Yes. Dot will turn off after period of inactivity and then turn back on at same illumination level when motion it detected

    Footprint for mount = Same as RTS-2 and Sig Max (please note RTS-2 mounts with blast shield will need to be clearanced)

    Warranty = 30 months from date of purchase

    Retail Price = $ 499.99


    While the SRO is a good sight, it is not optimized for competition use. The dot sizes are much smaller and not ideal for pistol shooting in bright sunlight. Illumination levels are wasted to accommodate operators with night vision settings. The FTP dot is brighter at peak illumination levels and offers more illumination levels. The bezel of the lens on the SRO is thick and will add more protection if dropped but obscures the target more as a compromise. The glass is egg/round shaped while the FTP version is optimized to track the dot under recoil in the upper portion of the lens. The dot sizes on the SRO are not optimal for pistol competition shooting. The SRO is heavier and the price point is much higher. The FTP Optic has a motion sensor to extend battery and diode life while the SRO does not.


    I hope that helps!
    Going to point out that the Walther guy won optics division at the nationals with the SRO

    gadget
    War Is Never Undertaken by an Ideal State, Except in Defence of its Honour, or its Safety

  5. #5
    CGN Ultra frequent flyer mebiuspower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Morontario
    Posts
    6,254
    So much for "not optimized for competition use".

    "Some of the best optical lenses in the world come from..... The Phillipines.." -MP

  6. #6
    Business Member Fast Toys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,444
    A great shooter could win with Chinese knock off optic from Ebay. That doesn't mean it is the best optic for the job. Compromises are made to in the red dot industry to appeal to the widest range of audiences and sales from competition shooters are VERY small compared to LEO's, military, operators and target shooters. We took the opposite approach and specifically made our optic to suit competition shooters without the compromises. But hey, what do I know?
    Fast Toys Shooting Sports
    www.FASTTOYS.ca
    877.955.4896

    Your source for CED, DAA, CamPro, Heavy Grips, CamPro, Shell Sorter, Dillon & More

    Competition pistol shooting courses are available, contact us for details for your club.

    Join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/ftpshootingsports

    Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for all our latest shooting videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/fasttoys2

  7. #7
    CGN Regular B..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    208
    Great review by:
    TheHumbleMarksman

    FTP Optics Alpha 3 - Basically a Sig Sauer Romeo 3 Max for about half the price

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mihxM-V7V_U

  8. #8
    Business Member Fast Toys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by B.. View Post
    Great review by:
    TheHumbleMarksman

    FTP Optics Alpha 3 - Basically a Sig Sauer Romeo 3 Max for about half the price

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mihxM-V7V_U
    Thanks for posting that. We were not aware the review was available
    Fast Toys Shooting Sports
    www.FASTTOYS.ca
    877.955.4896

    Your source for CED, DAA, CamPro, Heavy Grips, CamPro, Shell Sorter, Dillon & More

    Competition pistol shooting courses are available, contact us for details for your club.

    Join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/ftpshootingsports

    Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for all our latest shooting videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/fasttoys2

  9. #9
    CGN Regular shadowstang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    somewhere in the middle
    Posts
    196
    I've seen quite a few local shooters use the Alpha dots for the last year or so and nothing but good things to be said.

  10. #10
    CGN Regular MOBILE 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    windsor
    Posts
    372
    Do you have a time frame in March when the 8moa dot will be back in stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •