Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WS-MCR and the FRT

Quote Originally Posted by QYV View Post
    Without an FRT what governs the formal identification of a firearm? To put it another way, what would stop me from just "changing the name" of a firearm from WS-MCR to anything I want? Is the name required to be permanently affixed to the receiver by the manufacturer like a serial number? Does the name of a firearm even matter?
    Only the serial number is protected by law.

The name only matters when the powers that be want to use it to mess with you, or it's listed in SOR/98-462.

You can classify it without a name, based on the criteria listed in the criminal code and by comparing distinguishing mechanical characteristics against those models listed in SOR/98-462.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    You raise some very good questions? I am not a Lawyer so I will decline from answering them, I am sure some others will offer their opinion.
    Does an FRT formally ID a firearm? That is a very good question, by what authority? The FRT is only that, a Referance table! Not a legal document. I wish it was, then we would have enforceable standards, time lines, accountability and a formal appeal process.
    Yea, that is what I am wondering as well. FRT's do contain an identifying description of a firearm, defacto it can be used to identify firearms, but can it be considered to do so definitively?

As I remember things, and I must warn you my memory is not as good as it once was, it is a criminal offense to deface a serial number but I don't think there is any mention about changing a manufactures name. To correctly ID any firearm you need make, model and serial number.
    . The make and manufacture may differ ie Make is Colt but Manufacture could be Remington or Ithaca, with a 1911A1 change the slide and you may have changed the manufacture but not the serial number. Could the FRT correctly ID such a gun? All I can say with certainty is this is a real can of worms, with a lot of incorrect advice offered.
    Yes, exactly. If the identifying marks (outside of serial numbers, of course) are no longer visible on a firearm because of parts swaps or refinishing, is that firearm still the same as identified in the FRT? Is it even possible to identify a firearm "by name" legally?!

If half the people here can not understand this, how do you expect our MP's to? Or even the average LE officer?
    This is the real concern.
    The hottest thing since wheels on a bucket

Quote Originally Posted by arketh View Post
    Only the serial number is protected by law.

The name only matters when the powers that be want to use it to mess with you, or it's listed in SOR/98-462.

You can classify it without a name, based on the criteria listed in the criminal code and by comparing distinguishing mechanical characteristics against those models listed in SOR/98-462.
    Yea, and this is where you run into the "variant or modified version of it" language that makes the whole process of identifying a firearm frustratingly subjective.
    The hottest thing since wheels on a bucket

Each pattern of firearm can be broken down to fundamental mechanical characteristics that make that pattern unique, and I'm sure somewhere in the bowels of the RCMP firearms lab there's a collection of documentation that lists those for each pattern of firearm that they've examined, and probably some form of pattern room as well.

The FRT is just the "for dummies" version of it, using the most clear features and probably in most cases it's more than enough for the situations that call for it.

Yes, "variant or modified version of it" is weasel words and can (and has) been misused. But it does have a purpose, to help clarify the intent of the law as to meaning that they are referring to a pattern of firearms, rather than a specific named model. Could it have been worded better? Certainly, but that would have required better understanding on the part of those making the regulations at that time. Be glad that they didn't phrase it "or similar design" where one could stretch that to cover almost anything with a shared feature.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by QYV View Post
    Without an FRT what governs the formal identification of a firearm? To put it another way, what would stop me from just "changing the name" of a firearm from WS-MCR to anything I want? Is the name required to be permanently affixed to the receiver by the manufacturer like a serial number? Does the name of a firearm even matter?
    The Firearms Act decides how a firearm is classified, not the FRT table. If tomorrow morning, someone in charge of the FRT decided to classify the 10-22 rifle as a restricted firearm in the table, it would still be NR. Same if the AR or some pistol was somehow described as NR in the FRT, it would still be restricted. It might be a mess, but the law is the law, and the FRT is not the law, it is a reference table (that's what RT stands for). The name of a firearm is merely a convenient way to describe it when exchanging with other people, it has no bearing whatsoever on its classification. So you can call your SKS a corolla and call your 1911 a Porsche 911 if you want, and nobody will care (it might get confusing though), but more importantly, your SKS will still be a NR firearm and your 1911 will still be a restricted firearm.

Your responsibility as a firearm owner is not to know how your firearm is classified in the FRT. Actually, simple honest firearm owners don't have access to the FRT, so asking them to know the entry of any firearm is impossible. Your responsibility is to know which of your firearm is NR, R or P based on the firearms act, and follow the law regarding those specific firearms.

Keep in mind this is all a matter of law, not a matter of firearms. In this case I believe Bill Etter is right, but his opinion on the subject bears as much weight as that of any unknown netizen. He is a "Firearms Technologist" giving a legal opinion. This is worth as much as your doctor's legal opinion or your lawyer's medical opinion. Your best bet is to read the firearms act and the criminal code, from beginning to end. You will then be leaps ahead of 99% of MPs, MLAs and LEO on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyQC View Post
    The Firearms Act decides how a firearm is classified
    Actually it's the criminal code that defines how a firearm is classified, Section 84 (1) in conjunction with regulations prescribing the classifications of certain firearms, notably SOR/98-462 and SOR/98-464.

The FRT ends up bearing weight in the end because organisations like the CBSA use it, and the RCMP will use the information it to recommend charges, which means that the courts in the end recognise it as a valid resource, and that the RCMP know what they're doing when they make entries.

Not to worry, soon they will all be classified as military style assault rifles for ease of Just. & B.B. getting their small minds to wrap around it and they won’t have to change any wording in their pre written speeches or infomercials to tell the sheep how scary they are and must be surrendered! For fair compensation of course! Unless they will grandfather them to the safe for the rest of your life?

Uber Super GunNutz
    It will be interesting to see what does happen with the firearms prohibitions, etc. Methinks Brother Justin and Billy Club Blair likely have a few other things on their plates, like lawless hooligans shutting down the entire transportation network of this country, Coronavirus, etc. Perhaps gun control will for now be seen as an issue they just had better leave alone.

Ed
    Member CSSA, NFA, CCFR

"Conversation just kinda dried up, ma'am"
    John Wayne, "The Undefeated"

delete
    Last edited by JeffMan; 05-01-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boltaction View Post
    It will be interesting to see what does happen with the firearms prohibitions, etc. Methinks Brother Justin and Billy Club Blair likely have a few other things on their plates, like lawless hooligans shutting down the entire transportation network of this country, Coronavirus, etc. Perhaps gun control will for now be seen as an issue they just had better leave alone.

Ed
    They already said those prohibitions will come after the spring budget.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12