Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garrison Petawawa PR1 18-19 Apr 2020 Register here!

Quote Originally Posted by GundamZero View Post
    Its a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 topped with a Nikon FX1000 6-24 that I got on sale.
    Perfect. What I shoot, just with the Vortex PST 6x25. MOA or MIL? One day, at my local range, at 100yds on the 2nd shot, I spent 5 min looking for it on the paper, no joy. Took my 3rd shot, another 5mins looking no joy. At that point I was checking my mounts, putting a laser in the barrel to see if I had pooched the zeroing, everything was good. Walked down to the target, saw 3 shoulders in the same hole.
    One event, I used Barney's Barret with its Schmitt & Bender package, with factory match ammo, so close to $9K package; I shot no better than with the RPR. Get a good bi-pod, doesn't have to be an Atlas, but spend more than a $50 special. I use the newer Magpul bipod.
    Also, a drag bag which is also your shooting mat works well, especially since 100 and 200 m shooting points tend to not have grass as they are worn down to the sand. PM me if you are interested in any other info, from which you can use as a starting point with the RPR.
    Cheers
    Andy

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRSA311 View Post
    Barney; is this advertised on facebook?
    I know a new shooter in the Ottawa area that could really make use of day one!
    SRSA311
    I do have Facebook presence as Tactical Teacher, but that’s more like a BLOG for Mental Management targeted for the experienced shooters who have all the fundamental mechanics dialed down.

Mental Management is a larger study to get you on the podium and STAY / Remain there for as long as you can. My mentor for MM is/was/forever will be Keith and Linda of Milcun dot COM, or the Milcun Marksmanship Complex in the Halliburton/Minden/Kinmount area.

It’s one thing to shoot really well, but a whole different game to get on the podium and stay there. Just ask any Queens Medal(ist) Winner in the CAF (remember, I’m ex-military), so all my competitive background stems from the Service Conditions world of shooting; which is very unlike any other civilian shooting game!!

SRSA3001; just direct your Ottawa shooter to my business forum (or me, right here) and we can get him shooting (lots and faster) right away, with NO ShztShow as you guys can/will/may attest.

Now for that coronavirus lockdown/self isolation; that’s another issue we have to contend with.

IPPA162:

I got that Air Force joke... ha ha ha.

Thanks for the kind words. People out there don’t get it.... A beginner course for a few days is very, very expensive and prohibitive to most rookie shooters. So with the Kindness of Morgan (chalkriver3) and Range Control and Base Operations and PSP , I get many chances to offer you starting shooters these weekends to get out and shoot. Of course you won’t be an expert overnight, but you will get a pile of trigger time and stress while shooting come Sunday morning at the formal match proceedings. And you will get a tonne of experience. Each weekend only makes you stronger and wiser having made a few mistakes and recovered along the way.

I want you to make mistake (hey, I’m a teacher and professional educator) and reassess how you are gonna improve things. That’s the whole idea of the learning curve. It’s kinda like structuring your learning environment so that some fumbles are encountered along the way as we walk (metaphorically, on the Saturday) and then run (on the Sunday, Match proceedings).

Everybody learns something by experience and NO Experience is wasted. Even if fate craps on you... where’s Junior37C?? Who ate burritos with us on Friday night. Discovered he left his rifle home in London, ON. Then drove home, yeah, all the way back to London, grabbed his rifle, then drove back to Petawawa for Saturday evening. He had a steak with us Saturday night.

The following Sunday morning his extractor crapped out (think: Before Civil Litigation) and I won’t reveal which brand of rifle it was.....

Then we cleared his rifle at the 200m mound where we were conducting the 200m Save the Hostage Stage, and he drove home at 1100 that Sunday morning. He posted a lengthy “lessons learned” debrief here on one of my match threads.

I awarded him the “Mercy Prize” given to THE shooter most deserving each weekend match. He won a free match entry for the coming 2020 season. I have gained a new found respect for this shooter because lesser shooters woulda stayed home and wallowed in their misfortune. That’s character.....

And character is the major currency that gets you and keeps you in the SF units. How do you buy / acquire/ accumulate/ groom character?

I will share these answers with you in Garrison Petawawa when I see you for Burritos and / or Steak at Danny’s Steak House. Speaking of Character, I just had breakfast and hosted Callsign22 here in Georgian Bay a couple of weekends ago. He’s looking forward to shooting a few (yes, he can actually show up and shoot now) weekends with us. He loves just showing up and shooting as a DUDE, instead of always running around and teaching this craft across the country and in hot/sandy locations.

Enjoy the learning journey

Cheers, Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 03-22-2020 at 11:29 AM.

lol, still here buddy. Can't make April tho, hope to see you all in May if the garrison is open.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer MartyK2500's Avatar
    I have been wanting to sign up for PR1 but this Covid situation got me busy (and a little paranoid) at the moment.
    Hoping things get to the new normal by PR2 or PR3!

Do you need one of those calibers specifically or can it be anything in between? For example could you bring a 300wm to the event?
    “I felt a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unexpected View Post
    Do you need one of those calibers specifically or can it be anything in between? For example could you bring a 300wm to the event?
    You have to use ONLY these calibers (.308, .223, .338 LM, .303). Life being what it is with Range Control, we are shooting out to 600m and a .308 will serve you well, so will the tighter twist .223 combinations (ammo of 68 gr/ 69 gr) with tight twist barrel.

Now the Coronavirus being what it is, we are still on holding pattern so don’t be in a hurry to sign up for the 18-19 April weekend. PSP (personnel support program) has canned/axed/cancelled all activities for the time being. My booking for Transient Quarters was cancelled too. Right now it’s best to focus on reloading and staying safe at home unless you are an essential worker.

Please be safe everyone. Better yet, work out at home. Many , many online work outs on the Internet/YouTube for free. I’m getting in my 7000 steps per day and focusing on core exercises.

Now about those caliber restrictions; don’t get ChalkRiver2.1 started.....

Cheers, Barney

Business Member
    Well, we are here on the weekend of our supposed first clinic and match of the season. I’m supposed to be chowing down at Quesada Burrito with you fine folks at THIS time. Sadly and regretfully, none of us can be there for this event.

With PSP cancelling all recreational activities until further notice, we will just have to dry fire and practice your routines....

Yup, I am upset along with a whole host of other emotions but like my business motto; Adversity into Advantage, I see an opportunity to start this conversation.

You realize that it took a freaking pandemic to shut down my first ever PR weekend/clinic/match??? Not bad for starters....

I’m hoping at this time all of your families are home and safe and financially (well kinda, in these times) getting along. After all perspective is needed everytime one is enduring the shzt sandwich as we Infanteers call it. We Religion Teachers would rather say, “Whenever you think you got it bad, piles of other people have it way worse.”

Through the Adversity, pull out all the learning lessons (good , bad, or indifferent) and add that to your quiver of tools for the future “shzt sandwiches”. And that’s the Advantage I’m looking forward to glean (picking my verbs carefully here) from this crappy experience.

You know this part is coming (and It’s how I’m gonna end with this....)

I’m grateful for this community, without you guys, I have nothing....

I’m thankful for Morgan and the Petawawa GC, their support is priceless!

I’m thankful for the chance to serve and be of service.... for this I am most humbled. Thanks to all of you.

Now let’s see what the month of May (30-31 May) PR2 brings us.......

Be safe out there, stay home, stay isolated and prepare your brass accordingly!!

Cheers, Barney

I probably brought you those sandwich ingredients in Wainwright in the middle of the night Delta Papas.
    I had heart surgery in Feb, EI has my disability claim on hold and I can't get a hold of them. Six million in the queue. My chassis is still in transit but you're right there are those who have it much much worse.
    Cheers Barny, for the nice refreshing post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Fully aware I'm Living the Dream.

Barney,
    ACK your comments re Adversity - both on a personal and professional level.
    My brother (a black beret of the armour corps variety) always said the following: "It is what it is and it never shall be what it should be."
    Your courses will resume at some point and that is the shining light at the end of the tunnel for the "students of Barney".
    Thanks for your dedication and professionalism and a shout-out to Morgan for his outstanding support and club leadership.
    BZ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12