Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Places to shoot in the bush near Vancouver, BC

Stave is a terrifying place. We once drove to the top of a small hill, a small mountain if you will and at the top were targets set up in a 360° shooting field.
    Seven point six two by thirty nine full metal jacket

Well thanks for the info to all. I will have to keep digging to find something out there. I guess I'll just take the family out east and try to find something. For what it's worth, I'm just taking the family out for target shooting. If anyone cares to help a guy like me out could you pm me some clues of where I should start my search? there's a lot of possibilities and I don't know where to start.
    What me worry?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Mango View Post
    Well thanks for the info to all. I will have to keep digging to find something out there. I guess I'll just take the family out east and try to find something. For what it's worth, I'm just taking the family out for target shooting. If anyone cares to help a guy like me out could you pm me some clues of where I should start my search? there's a lot of possibilities and I don't know where to start.
    Check out Harrison.

Ok, I'll give that a try first. Thanks.
    What me worry?

CGN Regular
    what part of Vancouver are you in? if you go far enough up mamquam you are allowed to shoot in squamish but have to go past the power station a good ways

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btabin View Post
    Check out Harrison.
    Step one is familiarize yourself with these maps : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...47psAUNV5QDcft

West Harrison is only closed 400m each side of the main road (and only up to a point, go far enough (30km maybe? Check the maps) and you're good to go there too.) All side roads are good to go once you get 400m of the main road. E Harrison has no closures. Skagit/Silver Creek is again 400m from the main road is closed, although two weeks ago me and a buddy tried to go camping up there and the road was closed entirely.

Stave lake, Sylvester Rd (E side of Stave), and Nicomen Mtn (Hawkins Pickle Rd/Norrish Creek FSR) are basically completely closed.

E Harrison gets pretty busy now with shooters because it's the easiest place to go and know you're in the clear.

If you're actually in the city of Vancouver (or North or west van) then Squamish might be a better option, but I'm not familiar with the area as far as places to shoot go.
    Last edited by Suther; 03-03-2020 at 03:49 PM.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    Most bush roads east of Chilliwack are still covered in snow. Skagit had a big washout but most of the roads there don't go much further than the 400M limit before growing in or washing out. Lots of new active logging last year and will probably start up again once the roads are clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    If you're actually in the city of Vancouver (or North or west van) then Squamish might be a better option, but I'm not familiar with the area as far as places to shoot go.
    I am asking regarding this as I live on the North Shore. I had got my PAL in the spring last year... too late for the squamish r and g membership. This year they closed new members due to covid and I do not want to have to wait another year to go out and practice. Can some one recommend a spot or area where I might venture . I don't want to drive all the way to East Harrison.

I'm in the same boat - got my PAL last year, joined Port Coquitlam outdoor range in Feb but only got three visits in before it shut because of COVID.

I've been out to E Harrison - like people say it's pretty busy but you can drive to some spots. I wasn't even in a 4x4, I just took it real slow and hiked a couple of kms in off the main FSR.

I'm looking at another spot on the Sea-To-Sky but it involves 8-10kms in hiking in and out, which is part of the fun for me but I wouldn't take the family.

I use the iHunter app - it also runs in a browser (which I find easier than a phone), then I pay the $12 or whatever it is per year for the private land / crown land / etc overlays. I've checked it against regs and bylaws and it seems pretty accurate - might get you some ideas at least.

For any other newbies who'd be interested in trading any spots we find I'm happy to share as long as it's not on the public forum (I don't care about a post getting busy, I care about someone introducing another round of bylaws). Just drop me a PM, maybe we can trade emails or something if it turns into a group.

Disclaimers - I'm usually on a motorbike (road bike) and I don't mind a bit of a hike, so anything I find might not be you're looking for - but happy to share either way. Have a .22 and a 308 catching dust right now so I'm just looking to do some plinking out to 100m.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollo View Post
    I'm in the same boat - got my PAL last year, joined Port Coquitlam outdoor range in Feb but only got three visits in before it shut because of COVID.

I've been out to E Harrison - like people say it's pretty busy but you can drive to some spots. I wasn't even in a 4x4, I just took it real slow and hiked a couple of kms in off the main FSR.

I'm looking at another spot on the Sea-To-Sky but it involves 8-10kms in hiking in and out, which is part of the fun for me but I wouldn't take the family.

I use the iHunter app - it also runs in a browser (which I find easier than a phone), then I pay the $12 or whatever it is per year for the private land / crown land / etc overlays. I've checked it against regs and bylaws and it seems pretty accurate - might get you some ideas at least.

For any other newbies who'd be interested in trading any spots we find I'm happy to share as long as it's not on the public forum (I don't care about a post getting busy, I care about someone introducing another round of bylaws). Just drop me a PM, maybe we can trade emails or something if it turns into a group.

Disclaimers - I'm usually on a motorbike (road bike) and I don't mind a bit of a hike, so anything I find might not be you're looking for - but happy to share either way. Have a .22 and a 308 catching dust right now so I'm just looking to do some plinking out to 100m.
    My situation is same same, but different. My R/PAL hasn’t even got a file number. My buddy is a member at the Squamish range, but still no guests allowed and membership is closed this year. I joined the Pemberton range, but that’s a lot of driving to ask someone else to come and bring guns. Pita.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast