Thread: GSG-16 unspent round ejection question

GSG-16 unspent round ejection question

I originally posted this in the rimfire section but didn't get any real responses with GSG-16 users.

Just wondering if anyone else that owns a GSG-16 has the same issue I do. If I have to remove an unspent round and unload my firearm the cartridge will only pull out far enough that it ends up resting on the next round on top the the magazine. I was expecting it eject out the side like an empty casing does. Does it with multiple ammo types. Its like the extraction claw doesn't have enough traction to fully pull the round out far enough to be ejected from the side. I guess if I remove the mag before I pull the action back it will plop out the bottom of the rifle. Can any of you other GSG-16 owners tell me if this is normal behavior for this firearm. Doesn't seem right to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyjimjim View Post
    I originally posted this in the rimfire section but didn't get any real responses with GSG-16 users.

Just wondering if anyone else that owns a GSG-16 has the same issue I do. If I have to remove an unspent round and unload my firearm the cartridge will only pull out far enough that it ends up resting on the next round on top the the magazine. I was expecting it eject out the side like an empty casing does. Does it with multiple ammo types. Its like the extraction claw doesn't have enough traction to fully pull the round out far enough to be ejected from the side. I guess if I remove the mag before I pull the action back it will plop out the bottom of the rifle. Can any of you other GSG-16 owners tell me if this is normal behavior for this firearm. Doesn't seem right to me...
    The GSG-16 is blowback operated like a Ruger 10-22. My 10-22 will operate without an extractor while firing. However it will not manually extract without the extractor.

I would recommend checking that your ejector is in place, and that the chamber is clean - a dirty chamber is often the cause of ejection issues with spend .22 brass. A strong extractor doesn't hurt tho.

Manually cycling my GSG-16 often leads to soft extraction while shooting it doesn't.

Thanks for the response

Ejector is in place and chamber is clean. The extractor claw is also in place, is clean and appears to operate with proper spring tension and feedback. No problem ejecting when it blows back when firing. It feeds and ejects spent casings flawless to tell you the truth. I do not think the extractor claw even plays a role in ejecting an empty casing due to the blowback force and it hitting the ejector. Was just curious about the manual extraction operation. Sounds like it may be the "normal" operation of the gsg-16? I have been having some issues with communication with BLsolutions so wanted to hear back from fellow owners before I ship this thing away and not hearing back from them or see this rifle for a few months. Heck I would be happy with them just swapping the bolt assembly but they want the rifle and I'm a little hesitant.

CGN Regular
    Thanks for the response

Ejector is in place and chamber is clean. The extractor claw is also in place, is clean and appears to operate with proper spring tension and feedback. No problem ejecting when it blows back when firing. It feeds and ejects spent casings flawless to tell you the truth. I do not think the extractor claw even plays a role in ejecting an empty casing due to the blowback force and it hitting the ejector. Was just curious about the manual extraction operation. Sounds like it may be the "normal" operation of the gsg-16? I have been having some issues with communication with BLsolutions so wanted to hear back from fellow owners before I ship this thing away and not hearing back from them or see this rifle for a few months. Heck I would be happy with them just swapping the bolt assembly but they want the rifle and I'm a little hesitant.
    Why would you be a "little hesitant" to send the rifle back to them?
    Free the West

Thanks for the response.

I had a 10/22 that did what you describe... it worked perfectly, but when trying to extract a live round from the chamber the extractor would "skip" over the cartridge rim.

Now, with that said, I was also shooting some extra "waxxy" ammunition (CCI Velocitors if I recall). I chalked it up to sticky lube in a tight chamber that would overpower the extractor/extractor spring. I wouldn't worry about it.

You stated it works flawlessly under normal shooting conditions. That's all that matters.

.22lr's are a different animal... if it was a centerfire "anything" that wouldn't extract a live round, then I'd be concerned.

So tonight i mounted my 9" barrel. Then I had a ton of issues. It would eject but not pick up a new round. It ended up being one of the return springs for the bolt. It gets pinched between the bolt and bolt housing, and will allow the bolt to travel enough to extract but not far enough to pick up a new round. I fixed it by dremaling a 'feed ramp' for the spring.

Ill get some pictures up later this week. Works great now. The 9" barrel is badass.
    -SideBurnz-

Taking mine to the range today for some plinking.....will test to see how it behaves.
    "Never trust a government that doesn't trust its own citizens with guns...."