Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VX5 HD 3-15, shift in point of aim?

CGN Regular

VX5 HD 3-15, shift in point of aim?

Appears to me, the point of aim moves 4'' NW after I change the magnification from 9 to 15.

test procedure:

first 3 round group, scope magnification set at 9. group size: 0.5''
    second 3 round group, scope magnification set at 15. first shot landed 4'' NW, then the last two shots landed at the same position as first group.

what's the cause of this issue? Is further testing required?

Quote Originally Posted by xingyc View Post
    Appears to me, the point of aim moves 4'' NW after I change the magnification from 9 to 15.

test procedure:

second 3 round group, scope magnification set at 15. first shot landed 4'' NW, then the last two shots landed at the same position as first group.

Sounds to me like you just had one flyer and pulled that one shot that went NW 4".
    Did you try this more than just once? If you did, what were the results?

test procedure:

Have you tried to tried to do this multiple times or just the one? If it keeps repeating, then it would be questionable.

Some things you may want to include...

Firearm, Mount/Rings, Ammunition, Range, Conditions...

Is the scope still attached tightly on all points? Lord knows I've been chasing issues long until I noticed the scope was moving around when shooting (but firmly attached enough when not)

I almost don't want to add this one, but did you flinch?

Did you change your initial 2nd group shot shouldering/cheek position?

Best of luck finding a solution and great groupings, btw!

CGN Regular
    Due to the muddy weather, I did the test in the backyard, I noticed the change in Point of Impact after 30-40 shots. It's Saturday, I don't want to irritate the neighbors. So I just did the test once.

Distance to the target: 135 yards
    Shooting position: prone
    Firearm: Tikka T3 with Tikka TAC stock, 270 WIN
    Ring: Warne 30mm Mountain Tech, 7075 Al
    Base: Leupold 7075 Al one piece base
    Ammunition: Own hand load. H4831SC: 55.9Gr. New Hornady Brass, resized, washed, trimmed, flash hole debured. 150Gr SST (Hornady). Avg speed of 5 rounds: 2711, ES: 25, SD: ~10
    Temp: 2 Celsius
    Wind: ~5km/h or lower (gestimation)

The rings are tight, can't check the base due to scope position. but will check before next test.
    I did not pull the shot.
    This has happened before, I had to adjust the scope zero. Now rezeroed.
    The probability of pulling a flyer right after adjust the scope is quite low. I think it's like having two O2 sensor going bad on your car.

Anyone had same issue before?

Due to the muddy weather, I did the test in the backyard, I noticed the change in Point of Impact after 30-40 shots. It's Saturday, I don't want to irritate the neighbors. So I just did the test once.

Distance to the target: 135 yards
    Shooting position: prone
    Firearm: Tikka T3 with Tikka TAC stock, 270 WIN
    Ring: Warne 30mm Mountain Tech, 7075 Al
    Base: Leupold 7075 Al one piece base
    Ammunition: Own hand load. H4831SC: 55.9Gr. New Hornady Brass, resized, washed, trimmed, flash hole debured. 150Gr SST (Hornady). Avg speed of 5 rounds: 2711, ES: 25, SD: ~10
    Temp: 2 Celsius
    Wind: ~5km/h or lower (gestimation)

The rings are tight, can't check the base due to scope position. but will check before next test.
    I did not pull the shot.
    This has happened before, I had to adjust the scope zero. Now rezeroed.
    The probability of pulling a flyer right after adjust the scope is quite low. I think it's like having two O2 sensor going bad on your car.

Anyone had same issue before?
    Why would the probability of pulling a flyer be quite low "right after" an adjustment?
    IMHO I would think the probability would be exactly the same as any other time you take a shot. Flyers happen randomly anytime, that's why its a flyer.
    As this has only happened once and you don't want to PO the neighbors I would wait for a nicer day and just try again in better conditions and see if it happens again. IMHO you don't have enough info to properly diagnose the problem at this point. More shooting will give you more info to find out what the problem really is.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Recce21's Avatar

test procedure:

POI shifts due to reticle misalignment inside the system doesn't work like that. You wouldn't have one round shoot off target and then return back. Pulled shots happen most often after equipment adjustments, not less often.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Big JD-From the hills's Avatar
    Yeah would definitely suspect the mount with the wandering zero thing.

CGN Regular
    thanks guys, I really hope it is my shooting or the fresh brass.
    I really don't want to waste money and time sending the scope to Korth as bear season approaches. I will do a thorough test, see if the issue is repeatable.
    although I forgot to put on gloves and beanie, and my finger was numb at the end. But I'm certain I didn't pull the shot 4'' off.

What are your rings torqued to. Never excede factory recommendations as if you are pinching any part of that erector tube due to over tightening rings you will get issues like that

thanks guys, I really hope it is my shooting or the fresh brass.
    I really don't want to waste money and time sending the scope to Korth as bear season approaches. I will do a thorough test, see if the issue is repeatable.
    although I forgot to put on gloves and beanie, and my finger was numb at the end. But I'm certain I didn't pull the shot 4'' off.
    Either way you won't be disappointed if you have to deal with Korth. Speaking from experience they were were super helpful, cut some custom turrets for my Dad, and repaired an old optic we had problems with - in barely a couple weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast