Thread: XL Mags

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sinasta's Avatar

XL Mags

Any chance of making 10 round mags that have a full size body?

Good call.
    Last edited by vultr; 04-29-2020 at 11:08 PM.
    "A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon, or...or an alligator."

CCFR/NFA Member

+ one on the full size magazines.

Also, not sure if its been mentioned before but, 7.62x39 and 308?

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinasta View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the thought and feedback. Unfortunately we keep covering this and keep getting this request, so I am going to cover it in a lot more detail here.

The way that the Cross Mags are designed, in order to do this right, the MSRP on an extension would exceed the cost of just another magazine. The reason for this is that an injection molded extension would require at least 3 molded parts. We'd have to design 3 new parts, and 3 new molds, which will cost 6 figures, to then only sell a tiny amount of product. The economics would result in the extensions having to cost well over $60 each, and it is unlikely you would even be able to do it that cheap for how small the market is.

This is where 3d printing is nice, for doing very low volumes, or for making features that can't be molded. You could print a single piece extension, where you can't do that with molding.

The downside to printing a mag extension is the weakness. A 3d printed extension for a Cross Mag is going to break very easily in any sort of competitive use, whereas running coupled Cross Mags will be able to sustain thousands of drops (if the mags are empty), and you'll be able to jump on the mags, run them over, etc. Of course you would have the added benefit of having a second fully functional mag is you ever felt like using it.

If you want to fairly compare 3d printing vs second mag,

Cross mags are $54.95 for a set with integrated couplers. This works out to actually $27.50 /mag.

A GS extension for a MFT magazine (same basic design required for a Cross Mag) is $23.00.

So you would be saving $4.50 for something that is substantially less robust, and can't be used as another magazine...

Then factor in a second order, and a second shipping cost, it might actually be more expensive to buy the extension.

We encourage people to run the second mag as your extension to achieve a full size body. It's designed to be durable and given the above it just makes sense.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vultr View Post
    Or coupling 10 rounders for the XCR-M pistol.

Edit: .308 mags
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassLightning View Post
    + one on the full size magazines.

Also, not sure if its been mentioned before but, 7.62x39 and 308?
    Yes, also covered. 7.62x39mm and .308 mags will be available. We will make them. I cannot say how soon they will be produced or available.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinasta View Post
    I am sorry Sinasta, I saw "full size body" and immediately jumped into addressing people asking for a magazine extension to make a "full size body"

Re reading here, I think you are asking about a full profile, single mag, with a 10 round capacity - ie a 1 piece, full length mag.

There has been talk, and we have an idea for this kind of product, however with what we currently have in the pipe, it is going to be at least 2 years before we can move in this kind of direction.

Good idea. It's valid. Thanks for the input!

10 round pistol magazines in 20 and 30 round lengths in 223 308 and x39 are what people are buying tons of. I still have my ATRS 10 rounders that I bought long ago they are like 20 round magazine length. My favorite mags too bad you cant get them anymore. The firearms community would love a Canadian sourced pistol magazine !

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sinasta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross Industries View Post
    I am sorry Sinasta, I saw "full size body" and immediately jumped into addressing people asking for a magazine extension to make a "full size body"

Re reading here, I think you are asking about a full profile, single mag, with a 10 round capacity - ie a 1 piece, full length mag.

There has been talk, and we have an idea for this kind of product, however with what we currently have in the pipe, it is going to be at least 2 years before we can move in this kind of direction.

Good idea. It's valid. Thanks for the input!
    Yeah I am talking about a full profile 10 round mag. One single full body.