Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New or Used for first timer ?

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmcc View Post
    a well maintained firearm can easily last 100 years.

There is no "need" to buy new
    you buy new because you "want" new
    Absolutely agree. I just look at my firearms, some made in the 30’s and 40’s and they are as good as new (and well made).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas59 View Post
    Absolutely agree. I just look at my firearms, some made in the 30’s and 40’s and they are as good as new (and well made).
    many years ago, the first gun i ever shot was my grandmothers 22lr made in the early 1940's

that exact same gun was the fist gun my oldest child shot a few yrs ago

There is good chance it will be first gun my yet to be conceived grandchildren shoot

It will be close to 100yrs old by then
    The best time to buy a gun was 40 years ago, the second best time is today.

I would go with used at first, at least until you can figure out what is going to work well for you. IE learning how the gun handles, feels in your grip, shoulder comfort, your sight and pull length, gun length and weight, plus the game your after is this gun appropriate? Last but not least do you feel confident of your safe handling of the gun?

One special note for you Rob, just be safe and always remember there are NOT any deer out there wearing camo!
    A salute to our troops as I was an active reservist!

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    2 major questions for you and only you can answer.

Do you have enough knowledge or experience to know by looking at a rifle is a good 1 or not?
    What is your trust level when it comes to purchasing used? There are many so no trustworthy guys dumping guns that have issues, yet they claim they function perfectly and all are tack drivers.

There are many used guns out there that are in great condition and will last a lifetime and there are also many bubba specials. It all comes down to buyer beware.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    2 major questions for you and only you can answer.

Do you have enough knowledge or experience to know by looking at a rifle is a good 1 or not?
    What is your trust level when it comes to purchasing used? There are many so no trustworthy guys dumping guns that have issues, yet they claim they function perfectly and all are tack drivers.

There are many used guns out there that are in great condition and will last a lifetime and there are also many bubba specials. It all comes down to buyer beware.
    what are your thoughts on used but from a larger retailer?
    The best time to buy a gun was 40 years ago, the second best time is today.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmcc View Post
    what are your thoughts on used but from a larger retailer?
    I can't speak for all obviously but most legit retailers should stand behind their sales. Before starting ATRS every firearms store I ever worked at checked over the used stuff prior to offering it for sale.
    Consignments can be a different situation, but guns the store has purchased or taken on trade I would hope have seen some scrutiny prior to being offered for sale..
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Rifles are not like bicycles. They do not wear out unless they have been badly abused.

By a used rifle from a local gun shop Start to establish a relationship with your local guys. This will pay off in the long run.
    “It is not inequality which is the real misfortune, it is dependence.”
    ― Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by sillymike View Post
    i'd be tempted to tell you to scoot over to tradeex (a site sponsor, and anthony is a great guy to deal with) and see if anything strike your fancy.
    - he's got plenty a nice used hunting rifle and shotgun, brought over from europe

there are many ways to go about it, depending on your interest and if you want to hunt with scope or sights.
    - you could go milsurp. There's nothing wrong with felling a deer with a k31 or a nagant.
    - with the current crisis, there will most likely be some interesting sales. Either by stores or individuals
    thanks man~!
    Ergo Sum Qui Sum...

I'd look at the Husqvarna rifles at Tradex.

Super quality rifles. You'd have to make up your mind on calibre. Ask questions here first.
    Weller soldering gun
    Hot glue gun
    Powershot forward action staple and nail gun
    Super Soaker

CGN Regular
    It's incredibly likely that you will end up with at least one .22 before all is said and done, so I'd suggest starting there. That way you can "get shooting" for a low financial barrier to entry. Also, if this doesn't pan out as a hobby long term, you've invested little (into a very resellable firearm). And if you do catch the bug, .22 ammo is cheap.

My thoughts:

Buy a .22
    Specifically, a Tikka T1x or CZ 457 synthetic heavy barrel varmint. At around $700, these ain't cheap, but they will retain value quite well...because someone will buy it from you if you don't want it...and do exactly what you'd probably do next:

Customize it.
    You'll check out Boyds stocks...maybe a KRG Bravo...scopes....bipod.... and quickly realize that bicycle and rifle customization are equally expensive!

Then buy the hunting rifle
    After a few thousand .22 rounds down-range, and months of talking to fellow hobbyists, you'll have a far better idea of what to look for in a hunting rifle, and find the right mix of calibre, weight, cost and flexibility.

And worst case scenario you sell your Tikka/CZ to someone for a $100 loss.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast