Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New or Used for first timer ?

Used guns can have problems. New guns can have problems as well. Used or new, buy quality, it wears well, rarely disappoints and will retain decent value over time.

CGN Regular
    I've enjoyed being in the hunting and guns game for a long time. A few years ago, one of my grandsons shot a turkey with the same shotgun I downed my first ducks with. It came to me, via other family, from one of my grandfathers. Of the 3 dozen or so perfectly functional long guns currently in my posession, most were manufactured in the 40s,50s and 60s. A few are over the century mark. Others are a fair bit newer, but I can think of only 3 that I actually purchased new, and even those are getting on in years now. Obviously, my suggestion would be to go with a used firearm. Shopping around and making the final decision on a purchase can be educational, and is certain to be a good bit of fun as well ... enjoy!

CGN Regular
    There is definitely something nice about getting a new gun. And at least for me it was extra special because I won it in a draw that was part of a tournament at my Range (didn't have to win, just had to enter). But most of my guns have been used, and I've found nothing wrong with that either. I purchased a Sig 250, from my range, and a Kriss Vector carbine through the EE, both work excellent and I've never had a complaint.

I think my best suggestion would be to echo the others. There's no need to rush, even with things being a little hectic right now, so you can afford to take some time to shop around and think about what you really want before making a decision on what to purchase. Also, browsing can be quite fun! Even if something is out of your price range, it's still nice to look at a Red '9' Mauser pistol, or the sniper variant M1 that's currently on the EE, because you're not going to see too many of those anymore.
    Never forget that the Canadian Forces Stand on Guard for Thee. Remember to repay that with True Patriot Love
    CCFR Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123