Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Collection of Information

Quote Originally Posted by retiredsaf View Post
    Sounds like a business practice similar to Bass-Pro and Cabela's. Dvr lic to confirm address assigned to the PAL. If you do not want them to have the info don't buy from them.
    This ^^^^

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I have had to submit my DL alongside my PAL for an internet order before. I blacked out all info but my birthdate and photo on my license. I was a bit upset and sent them an email before complying. They stated for new accounts on internet orders they require a DL to make sure the purchaser matches the PAL. This would prevent people from using other's cards for online purchases, so I get it to an extent.

Quote Originally Posted by hbean View Post
    There is nothing illegal about it, Since your PAL doesn't show your address, a driver license is their way of verifying the address you gave is the same as the PAL holder, most shops just use the credit card billing address
    Why would you need to provide your address for an in person purchase?

Shop elsewhere. Canadian Tire, at least in my location, does the same thing. Any ole part time employee could snap a picture of the book and have a list of addresses with firearms. It's sketchy.

Bought a Henry H001 Lever Action 22LR (non restricted) on-line from Cabelas last week. Only had to provide my PAL. Canada Post delivered it to my door in record time too!!!!

I'm quite sure you only had to provide pal only because they had you in their data base

CGN Regular
    The pal is the only ID you need. No point in asking for a second piece of ID. What is this a passport application? I once saw a Canadian tire employee write down the details of a firearm transaction in a giant book, then promptly walked away! Of course he left the book in the open right next to the firearms display. I never purchased a firearm from this location as I didn't want to be included in the easily accessible book of where to steal firearms from.

Sounds like a good way to get yourself robbed. Any loser could swipe the book from the counter and have a priceless log of possible victims.

Quote Originally Posted by hbean View Post
    There is nothing illegal about it, Since your PAL doesn't show your address, a driver license is their way of verifying the address you gave is the same as the PAL holder, most shops just use the credit card billing address
    While you are correct hbean about your PAL not showing your address, everyone should know this.......

I've had a firearms licence for just over 40 years now, when I bought a firearm on-line today from a sponsoring dealer I gave them my PAL # and expiry date. The dealer then punched this info into his computer and voila, he knew my name, my address, my phone number and other pertinent information. So why another dealer would want your DL other than to verify the information that they already have, who knows.

I had no idea that dealers had access to this info so readily. I thought people would like to know this!
    The only government I trust is 45-70 Government!

Quote Originally Posted by retiredsaf View Post
    Sounds like a business practice similar to Bass-Pro and Cabela's. Dvr lic to confirm address assigned to the PAL. If you do not want them to have the info don't buy from them.
    Can’t speak for Bass Pro, but Cabela’s does not need driver’s licenses for firearms. I don’t see any reason why anyone needs a driver’s license if you have a valid PAL.

Quote Originally Posted by kevi View Post
    Sounds like a good way to get yourself robbed. Any loser could swipe the book from the counter and have a priceless log of possible victims.
    This is one of the points I used when writing to Senators about C-71. The bill requires licensed dealers to keep a ledger of transactions, but doesn't apply any kind of secure storage standard to that data. Like, they should at least demand that it be treated the same as the gov't treats "Protected B" data... or not keep it at all.
    "We are not the kind of country where politicians get to tell the police what to do in operational matters" - Trudeau in Munich, February 17 2020...

CF, CCFR, CSSA, NFA, JP, AF&AM

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast