Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Collection of Information

Folks, this OP is 2 years old now. Like it or not, retailers need to record your address in their sales logs (this may be different in some provinces - it seems to up to the regional CFO). I'm sure that sales clerk did not record the Driver's License number anywhere. Either way, it's your choice - buy it, don't buy it, keep whining about it, get your cousin to buy it for you, etc. etc. I'm afraid I don't really see the issue here - they know who bought the firearm from your PAL number - recording your address really doesn't give them any more information about you that they didn't already have. And you DO NOT need a driver's license to buy a firearm. If the OP didn't have one, I'm sure that clerk would have just asked him for another piece of ID with his address on it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer squidxm's Avatar
    Rangeview has been doing this for years. A few other vendors (as is this one) are following suit. Some claim they need to (which is not true) and some claim they are protecting against fraud (as some do it for expensive non-firearm purchases like scopes). As already mentioned, if you dont like it shop elsewhere... send them a message.

There is NO reason a vendor should be collecting and storing photos of PALs and Driver's Licenses, but their store their policy..

"What do you get for pretending the danger's not real?"
    - Sheep, Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by .30/06 FTW View Post
    100% disagree. The more information that’s collected the greater the risk if it gets compromised. If it doesn’t need to be collected, it shouldn’t be.
    What? Ya worried someone is going to know your address? Phone number? Got news for ya....search the internet buddy...it is already there!!!

Possibly as a second form of ID to confirm your informational matches your pal. If you have a matching DL that has the same information as your pal, it’s less likely your pal is fake. That would be my guess.

Uber Super GunNutz
    And is absolutely no point to try and argue the issue with "city people" - we do not get home delivered mail out here. Manitoba has a law that requires your home location on your driver licence - so IS NOT MY MAILING ADDRESS on my driver license - seems to be mind boggling to some clerks and some sellers on CGN - my driver license does not help you one iota to confirm a damn thing!

Some how, Miramichi RCMP can mail to me when time to renew my RPAL - they mail to my MAILING ADDRESS. Revenue Canada and others have figured out the same. Vendors that I no longer deal with have not.

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by hbean View Post
    There is nothing illegal about it, Since your PAL doesn't show your address, a driver license is their way of verifying the address you gave is the same as the PAL holder, most shops just use the credit card billing address

Why the heck would store need your address if they have your PAL?????

Quote Originally Posted by Potashminer View Post
    And is absolutely no point to try and argue the issue with "city people" - we do not get home delivered mail out here. Manitoba has a law that requires your home location on your driver licence - so IS NOT MY MAILING ADDRESS on my driver license - seems to be mind boggling to some clerks and some sellers on CGN - my driver license does not help you one iota to confirm a damn thing!

Some how, Miramichi RCMP can mail to me when time to renew my RPAL - they mail to my MAILING ADDRESS. Revenue Canada and others have figured out the same. Vendors that I no longer deal with have not.
    Between the two pieces of ID, other information is shared such as your birth date, photograph, eye color, and full name. To me, if all that matches, that helps to confirm if the pal is legit or not

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by sjstrey View Post
    Folks, this OP is 2 years old now. Like it or not, retailers need to record your address in their sales logs (this may be different in some provinces - it seems to up to the regional CFO). I'm sure that sales clerk did not record the Driver's License number anywhere. Either way, it's your choice - buy it, don't buy it, keep whining about it, get your cousin to buy it for you, etc. etc. I'm afraid I don't really see the issue here - they know who bought the firearm from your PAL number - recording your address really doesn't give them any more information about you that they didn't already have. And you DO NOT need a driver's license to buy a firearm. If the OP didn't have one, I'm sure that clerk would have just asked him for another piece of ID with his address on it.
    I see a problem with it: Overreach. The PAL has your photograph. The gun store owners go extra mile to please government. All the big stores do. Some of the smaller ones too.

Uber Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchrestJohn View Post
    I see a problem with it: Overreach. The PAL has your photograph. The gun store owners go extra mile to please government. All the big stores do. Some of the smaller ones too.
    And then what do YOU do when buyer has a PAL without a picture? Many hundreds issued as such - religious exemption, etc. So far as I am concerned, PAL is pretty primitive - does not even have your signature, no security features - go to Cuba - Canadian passport is all you need in and all that you need back into Canada - no D. L.. no nothing else - then look at your PAL and look at your passport - how are they different?? Despite some CGN user suggestion, PAL is about a "joke" - is NOT secure, is NOT unique, is EASILY faked. What the Feds want us to use - as if it was important - I did not make those rules.

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookiegun View Post
    What? Ya worried someone is going to know your address? Phone number? Got news for ya....search the internet buddy...it is already there!!!
    Thats not the point, but if you want you can give the store you naked picture, it's probably on the internet already

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast