Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Collection of Information

CGN Regular
    ………..
    Last edited by time4t; 05-06-2020 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCreserveMP View Post
    This is one of the points I used when writing to Senators about C-71. The bill requires licensed dealers to keep a ledger of transactions, but doesn't apply any kind of secure storage standard to that data. Like, they should at least demand that it be treated the same as the gov't treats "Protected B" data... or not keep it at all.
    Thanks for writing in to Senators, I was hoping for people who have been spending time defending our sport to chime in.

I didn't start this thread to bash on any business, I was hoping for some clarification as to what the requirement is for purchasing a non-restricted firearm in person. From all the input received, it's pretty obvious the only requirement is to sight a PAL and perhaps call in to verify. Writing down any details of the purchase is not required by law currently.

I would like to give the business the benefit of the doubt that they did not know this, I was produced with a ledger that had a RCMP logo on the front page and repeatedly told it's a requirement of the RCMP to document every sale. The pages in it appeared to be full of individual documented sales, some of which were visible to me when I signed the ledger.

I am hoping the business in question will respond here publicly and immediately stop the practice of creating a unnecessary registry of non-restricted firearms that is not required by law currently, it would be a great gesture to the community they serve to abide by the laws which require them to visually sight a PAL and/or verify thru the RCMP database as described in a previous post.

Alternatively they could delete this thread and we will all know where they stand eventually.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Did you buy in Quebec, i just seen OP’s text about language barrier. I am pretty sure that after Cons ditched the LG registry, Quebec decided to keep their own version of it. Maybe that has changed by now, but perhaps if you bought in Quebec you are now in their provincial registry?

I was at Canadian Tire a month ago. Looking to buy pellets for the kids gun to keep them busy on the target range.

They wanted my drivers license in order to purchase just the pellets as it was "their store policy".

Went to CT next town over. In and out no hassle, no ID.

Def feel they don't need my personal info for something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    I was at Canadian Tire a month ago. Looking to buy pellets for the kids gun to keep them busy on the target range.

They wanted my drivers license in order to purchase just the pellets as it was "their store policy".

Went to CT next town over. In and out no hassle, no ID.

Def feel they don't need my personal info for something like that.
    OP thanks for the info, I will not purchase from them unless they publicly announce they are not requiring additional documentation
    Member of the CCFR

In a perfect world we would not need guns.....this is not a perfect world

I am guessing they keep a ledger, especially with online orders, CC and PAL info tied to the gun they sold you. Wonder if they will require additional info when C-71 comes into full effect. Who knows when they will be handing this info off.
    “I remember watching Bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part was when they killed Bambi's mother because I knew somewhere the hunter’s family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the bad guy”

CGN Ultra frequent flyer squidxm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    I am guessing they keep a ledger, especially with online orders, CC and PAL info tied to the gun they sold you. Wonder if they will require additional info when C-71 comes into full effect. Who knows when they will be handing this info off.
    Old thread.. but essentially this is a a case of a Canadian gun retailer bowing to the Liberals’ BS legislation before it’s actually implemented, and playing ball with the anti’s. Retailers who have been doing this for years should be ashamed of themselves. They are willingly grabbing the razor and saying “here, allow me to make the first few cuts”.

"What do you get for pretending the danger's not real?"
    - Sheep, Pink Floyd

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Midnight Rider's Avatar
    Businesses are free to demand whatever information that they want ; and the consumer is free to walk away , and spend their hard earned cash at less intrusive businesses . As the old song says " these boots are make for walking " .
    " SUPER BIKES RULE.....! " " Speed Costs....How Much Do You Want To Spend ! "

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by hbean View Post
    Most store still keeps a ledger as a store policy, when the Conservative abolished the LGR most business still kept the practice of keeping a ledger as a way to track inventory, the police or the CFO can't see those ledger without a court order.
    That doesn’t make any sense, they can’t track inventory just fine without record info your info like that.

Quote Originally Posted by hbean View Post
    There is nothing illegal about it, Since your PAL doesn't show your address, a driver license is their way of verifying the address you gave is the same as the PAL holder, most shops just use the credit card billing address
    The problem with this logic is that when they check the PAL, the cops can tell them if the shipping address you gave is the correct one.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast