Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: M+M M10x-DMR Short Handguard Black 7.62x39 18.6in Non-Restricted

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by saskcop View Post
    Been just sitting back watching prices go up one, two and even three times on the same model of gun at the same retailer. Price gouging.
    Thats free market for you. IIWII.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CobraGT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neoconfection View Post
    I have had one for over a year with about 1500-2000rds down the pipe.

Short answer: I've never encountered a gun with a more stark contrast between build quality and performance. It's a $2k gun that performs like a below-average SKS.

The build quality of this gun is incredible. The two-stage trigger is fantastic, the fit and finish is flawless, the gun has no wobble or give anywhere, the takedown and disassembly is a breeze, and the three-position gas system adjusts very easily. The top rail is nice and low to bore and is long enough that you can meaningfully use iron sights.

Unfortunately, that's where the praise ends. Before you read what I have to say and come back and say I'm a carpenter blaming his tools, I take extremely good care of my guns and properly clean and lubricate them. I also tested the ammo in a benchrest so we can't blame my ####ty marksmanship (which it's not).

The gun is brutally inaccurate and very picky on ammo. I dipped into my hidden stash of Czech 7.62x39 and it provided the best accuracy and performance - 3MOA and reliable cycling.

Of ammo that is actually obtainable nowadays, Chinese corrosive is next best. 3-4MOA and cycles fairly reliably. Barnaul (being hotter than Hell) cycles all the time but prints 4-5MOA.

That assumes, of course that the gun doesn't slamfire, which it does more than any other gun I've owned or used. It'll happen rarely with surplus/steel case. However, brass case with soft primers is unsafe to use because it slamfires so often. PMC stuff frequently doubles. Gecko has 2-3rd bursts. Of course, it cycles none of these reliably. You never know if you'll have a day of flawless performance or a day of scaring the #### out of the ROs when you're firing your full-auto-by-accident M10X. I am not the only owner with this problem.

Next is the mag pickiness. I have 10 AK mags for this gun (1 Romanian steel mag and 9 Magpul mags of various gens). Some rock into place no problem. Others will only lock if you hold the bolt open, which you have to do manually since it's like an AK. Some of them will feed fine. Some of them won't feed the next round. It's always a surprise.

And last, but not least, is my favourite feature: the disappearing bolt handle. The bolt handle connects the bolt carrier with the gas system so it's kind of hard to shoot without it. In another example of thoughtful design but poor execution, the bolt handle is removable and can be flipped from one side to the other with just a push and a 90 degree turn of a knob on the handle. Something that's so easy to do intentionally becomes just as easy to do unintentionally and the gun self-disassembles. The dreaded "chunk" of the bolt hitting the rear of the receiver and staying there lets me know that bolt handle has worked its way out of place and been launched somewhere within a 30ft, 360 degree ring. There is no predictability on where it will go. I've found it 30ft behind me at 4'o'clock and 5ft from me at 11. This has happened when it was -20C and +30C - temperature has no bearing on it.

TL;DR - if you want to blast ammo and use AK mags, this gun is great. Otherwise, don't buy it.

Wow, yikes, I had thought about buying one as I have a few extra AK mags laying around, but while the accuracy isn't a deal breaker for me, as I was seeing it as a close-range pop-can blaster, the other issues absolutely are. I can't stand unreliable or unpredictable guns. Glad I read this.
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intelligor illis
    EE Ads: Insurance is NOT included on any agreed "shipped" price!
    I take no responsibility for an EE item once it has been shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by neoconfection View Post
    I have had one for over a year with about 1500-2000rds down the pipe.

Short answer: I've never encountered a gun with a more stark contrast between build quality and performance. It's a $2k gun that performs like a below-average SKS.

The build quality of this gun is incredible. The two-stage trigger is fantastic, the fit and finish is flawless, the gun has no wobble or give anywhere, the takedown and disassembly is a breeze, and the three-position gas system adjusts very easily. The top rail is nice and low to bore and is long enough that you can meaningfully use iron sights.

Unfortunately, that's where the praise ends. Before you read what I have to say and come back and say I'm a carpenter blaming his tools, I take extremely good care of my guns and properly clean and lubricate them. I also tested the ammo in a benchrest so we can't blame my ####ty marksmanship (which it's not).

The gun is brutally inaccurate and very picky on ammo. I dipped into my hidden stash of Czech 7.62x39 and it provided the best accuracy and performance - 3MOA and reliable cycling.

Of ammo that is actually obtainable nowadays, Chinese corrosive is next best. 3-4MOA and cycles fairly reliably. Barnaul (being hotter than Hell) cycles all the time but prints 4-5MOA.

That assumes, of course that the gun doesn't slamfire, which it does more than any other gun I've owned or used. It'll happen rarely with surplus/steel case. However, brass case with soft primers is unsafe to use because it slamfires so often. PMC stuff frequently doubles. Gecko has 2-3rd bursts. Of course, it cycles none of these reliably. You never know if you'll have a day of flawless performance or a day of scaring the #### out of the ROs when you're firing your full-auto-by-accident M10X. I am not the only owner with this problem.

Next is the mag pickiness. I have 10 AK mags for this gun (1 Romanian steel mag and 9 Magpul mags of various gens). Some rock into place no problem. Others will only lock if you hold the bolt open, which you have to do manually since it's like an AK. Some of them will feed fine. Some of them won't feed the next round. It's always a surprise.

And last, but not least, is my favourite feature: the disappearing bolt handle. The bolt handle connects the bolt carrier with the gas system so it's kind of hard to shoot without it. In another example of thoughtful design but poor execution, the bolt handle is removable and can be flipped from one side to the other with just a push and a 90 degree turn of a knob on the handle. Something that's so easy to do intentionally becomes just as easy to do unintentionally and the gun self-disassembles. The dreaded "chunk" of the bolt hitting the rear of the receiver and staying there lets me know that bolt handle has worked its way out of place and been launched somewhere within a 30ft, 360 degree ring. There is no predictability on where it will go. I've found it 30ft behind me at 4'o'clock and 5ft from me at 11. This has happened when it was -20C and +30C - temperature has no bearing on it.

TL;DR - if you want to blast ammo and use AK mags, this gun is great. Otherwise, don't buy it.

From personal experience with two separate rifles I can say this short review is exactly accurate and mirrors my feelings precisely towards the rifle. I've experienced all issues as explained plus a couple more.

With some of the dominion arms / Canada ammo rounds it would often get a stuck casing in the chamber when it was running hot. It did it from brand new and also after intense cleaning sessions where I know there was no residue in the chamber to begin with. It would only take 40 - 50 rounds to bring out this problem. Sometimes the casing would stick so hard, I'd give up removing it at the range.

It also wouldn't accept several different types of quick detach clips that I tried including Magpul. The qd slot in the handguard would allow it to pull back out under tension and the one in the stock area was too tight to even insert.

I've also found through reading online I'm far from alone in experiencing these two additional issues as well as the others described.

I really wanted the rifle to work out but too many issues to overlook for me. I was hoping they made some big changes to the short handguard model but it doesn't sound like it. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone's experience with the newer ones vary.
    Last edited by kilo3niner; 05-12-2020 at 03:00 PM.

No problem, happy to help. I also find the gun a bit unwieldy because it's heavier than other 7.62 semis on the market (7.5lbs with a 1-4x Burris) and is rather front-heavy with the long, medium-profile barrel.

As much as I trash it, I want to make it clear that I really enjoy the gun, warts and all. It's really fun to shoot when it's working well. Had I known all of this before I bought it, I would have purchased something else.

Quote Originally Posted by kilo3niner View Post
    From personal experience with two separate rifles I can say this short review is exactly accurate and mirrors my feelings precisely towards the rifle. I've experienced all issues as explained plus a couple more.

With some of the dominion arms / Canada ammo rounds it would often get a stuck casing in the chamber when it was running hot. It did it from brand new and also after intense cleaning sessions where I know there was no residue in the chamber to begin with. It would only take 40 - 50 rounds to bring out this problem. Sometimes the casing would stick so hard, I'd give up removing it at the range.

It also wouldn't accept several different types of quick detach clips that I tried including Magpul. The qd slot in the handguard would allow it to pull back out in under tension and the one in the stock area was too tight to even insert.

I've also found through reading online I'm far from alone in experiencing these two additional issues as well as the others described.

I really wanted the rifle to work out but too many issues to overlook for me. I was hoping they made some big changes to the short handguard model but it doesn't sound like it. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone's experience with the newer ones vary.
    Yes, I left that part out. The QD mount on the handguards are too loose to retain a clip and the ones by the stock are too tight to insert one. Not being able to use the stock QD mounts eliminates one of the best features of the gun - the folding stock. You have to put a swivel on the stock QD mount to use a sling, which means you can't fold the gun and carry it.

Thanks for the great review, I was just about to buy one today before I read the awful reviews . No thanks, il pass on this dumpster fire rifle

They are getting ready to leave the factory.

ETA 7 days.

Will spare parts or parts kits be arriving as well?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by North_Sylva View Post
    They are getting ready to leave the factory.

ETA 7 days.

Are you getting any with the long handguard or just short?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by soheipp View Post
    Are you getting any with the long handguard or just short?
    In my taste they look better with the short handguard,but that's me.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast