View Poll Results: Would a 'kill zone' AR500 taregt selll?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not worth making and/or I would not buy.

12 12.90%
  • Yes, but I would not buy them.

22 23.66%
  • Great Idea! I'd look at buying if they are standard production.

59 63.44%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steel Targets Idea: Kill Zone plates aka Range Rabbit Froggies

Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    Edit: I KNOW! the spelling mistakes in the poll... dang it. Maybe it will gather more attention: any publicity is good publicity, right?

Also, I do NOT work for Range Rabbit.

I thought I would see if this was an idea Range Rabbit might make: steel targets designed to replicate a "rough" idea of a kill zone on an animal.

I know Range Rabbit could probably do a custom set, but I was also thinking that this idea could do two things:
    1. Get those who only shoot to practice for hunting and harvesting game into using renewable AR500 steel targets;
    and
    2. Add to the product line of an awesome company.

I know that there will be some debate on the sizing, but I thought from Internet searching that the following four sizes would be possible:

• Small: Fox, Coyote, small Wolf: 4" tall x 5.5" wide (cut from 1/4" for rimfire and 3/8" for centerfire)
    • Medium: Whitetail, Mulie, black bear: 6" tall x 8" wide (cut from 3/8" plate and 1/2" plate for close range big bore)
    • Large: Elk, small moose, cariboo, brown bear: 12" tall by 16" wide (cut from 3/8" plate and 1/2" plate for magnum)
    • X-Large: Moose and/or long range: 20" tall x 26" wide (cut from 3/8" plate and 1/2" plate for magnum)

They would look like this, and I have dubbed them the "Range Rabbit Froggie" target (excursive and express permission and free ownership of the design and term given to Range Rabbit only):

Poll is to gauge interest. It expires on July 10, 2020.
    Name:  vitals.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  69.8 KB
    Option 1 has the bolt holes,
    Option 2 can have 'hidden' bolts on the back.
    In our experience 'froggie' tends to be a point of failure (as cute as that fella might be!).
    That being said, how would you feel about some animal stencils to go along with your vital shots? we can do a (mini?)moose, coyote... Then you can hang the vitals behind the stencil painted over cardboard or a piece of plywood. Possibilities are endless here guys!

How much does paint adds to the final cost ?

I always questionned the usefulness of painting target with more than spray paint.

Not an attack, just asking out of curiosity and boredom from confinement

CGN Ultra frequent flyer freezer filler's Avatar
    Why not cut some Ballistic armor plates for carriers? They seem to be in short supply.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Range Rabbit View Post
    Option 1 has the bolt holes,
    Option 2 can have 'hidden' bolts on the back.
    I would suggest that the small (4"tall x 5.5" wide) might want to be the hidden bolt? How to the bolts stand up to .223, .22-250 and other coyote calibres at 100-200 yards?

What sizes are those in the stack? The small, medium and large? Or Small medium and X-L? I'd buy that stack it it's the S, M & L sizes along with three Schnieder brackets to match.

I want to be able to hang them in front of the kill zone on targets like this because shipping on these things is brutal, so I want to make them last:

- - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DT741 View Post
    I have three of their targets now: they all came with basic bright red primer, maybe two coats? I don't think its expensive powder coat. I get some Bright Red or Flat Brown from the cheapest place possible, maybe a fastener shop or Princess Auto on sale to repaint them.

Quote Originally Posted by freezer filler View Post
    Why not cut some Ballistic armor plates for carriers? They seem to be in short supply.
    I think there is a little more than just cutting a plate that needs to be done: they have to be rolled slightly to fit a torso & are often Anti-spawl coated. The lack of being able to do these two might be the issue for them.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

I like the idea, but as mentioned the eyelets are likely to fail over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DT741 View Post
    I have three of their targets now: they all came with basic bright red primer, maybe two coats? I don't think its expensive powder coat. I get some Bright Red or Flat Brown from the cheapest place possible, maybe a fastener shop or Princess Auto on sale to repaint them.
    You're right, it's not powder coat, but not consumer spray paint either. That approach turned a bit unpopular so we turned to higher quality primer and paint, which makes a world of difference while keeping cost under control.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I made some "un droppable" 3/8 AR500 IPCC style targets with 3" heart flapper... they worked very well until a individual deliberately stacked .338 snipetac rounds to punch holes through the welds to knock the hanger bars off.

would be cool to see these made especially if in animal shapes with kill box flappers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer conor_90's Avatar
    Would be great if they came with stencils of deers and black bears.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12