Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 18.6 inch AR barrels with integrated muzzle brake/flash hider

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Airborn_69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    This is not at all true. If length of rifling is what mattered, then putting a caliber adapter in my shotgun would convert it from a 30" non-restricted to a 2.5" prohibited firearm. And what would smoothbore long guns be considered?

Barrel length is muzzle to breechface.
    Wow, this thread just went to #### as we are debating on shotgun barrels now?
    Ex NFA Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt-roc View Post
    i'd rather have my daughter be a whore than have my son work the guncounter at wholesale sports

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    No, it doesn't have to include rifling. The example you cite is adding a piece to the barrel, not having a continuous barrel to the end of an integrated comp or flash suppressor.

Herron Arms did barrels exactly like the OP is requesting and they are perfectly legal.
    Didn't they crack down on M1 Carbines that had pieces welded to the barrel to extend it over 18.5".
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborn_69 View Post
    Wow, this thread just went to #### as we are debating on shotgun barrels now?
    Nobody is debating anything. 5HoursNorth is flat out wrong. Measurements are made from muzzle to breech face for everything except revolvers which are specified as muzzle to just in front of the cylinder.

Carry on.

CGN Regular
    I would buy 4 if you can get them from Faxon, in gunner profile. It costed me a few drill bits to drill through their nitride finish. It's decent stuff.
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.

Tag
    "Victory favours the prepared"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Airborn_69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    Nobody is debating anything. 5HoursNorth is flat out wrong. Measurements are made from muzzle to breech face for everything except revolvers which are specified as muzzle to just in front of the cylinder.

Carry on.
    Ah you’re THAT guy today!

Shotguns are measured on OAL thus staying NR with a 8.5” barrel. Barrel cut that’s a whole different story unless by a gunsmith

Stay on topic.
    Ex NFA Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt-roc View Post
    i'd rather have my daughter be a whore than have my son work the guncounter at wholesale sports

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by OkayShooter View Post
    Didn't they crack down on M1 Carbines that had pieces welded to the barrel to extend it over 18.5".
    Which is exactly the opposite of what is being asked for here.

Pieces welded to barrel to extend it - not OK.

Integral muzzle brake/flash hider machined as part of barrel - OK.

These barrels are blanks that have a flash hider/brake machined into them as part of the build process. You can't change your mind in 6 months and put a Surefire or Vortex on there instead, you're stuck with it. That makes it part of the barrel and not an added on piece.
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free.
    Bureaucracy not an instrument of democratic government but, on the contrary, the worst enemy of freedom and democracy.
    If the penalty for a crime is a fine, then that law only applies to the poor.

BANNED
    Not if they're cut. Then you need to measure the barrel length. Cut an 18.5" NR to 18 1/4" and its restricted. Cut it to 17 3/4" and its prohib. Size matters. Measured from muzzle to breech. Who does the cutting matters not one lick.

If by THAT guy, you mean the guy who is right, that's me.

Shotguns are measured on OAL thus staying NR with a 8.5” barrel. Barrel cut that’s a whole different story unless by a gunsmith

Stay on topic.

Super Moderator
    I have machined AR barrels from blanks. Machining a brake at the muzzle end would increase the complexity of the job and increase the time required if a gunsmith were to make up such a barrel. More $$$. The muzzle brake would have to be smaller in diameter that the journal for the gas block. Making a barrel with an integral brake would make sense if the shortest possible braked barrel were desired for a NR semi.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Stay on topic.
    You're the one going on a tangent. Shotguns don't have specific exemptions from barrel length laws. It's manually operated firearms (pump, lever, bolt, break-action) and rimfire rifles (including semi) that are based on OAL. You won't find a semi-auto shotgun with a short barrel that stays NR.
    If you're going through hell, keep going.