Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 18.6 inch AR barrels with integrated muzzle brake/flash hider

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    I have machined AR barrels from blanks. Machining a brake at the muzzle end would increase the complexity of the job and increase the time required if a gunsmith were to make up such a barrel. More $$$. The muzzle brake would have to be smaller in diameter that the journal for the gas block. Making a barrel with an integral brake would make sense if the shortest possible braked barrel were desired for a NR semi.
    Yep thats exactly the point, a good number of gun owners want the shortest length semi AR style rifle thats non restricted as possible. The closer companies get to that the more money they make.

I believe a barrel like this could be made as faxon already does it, theyd just need to add 2.6 inches (let me clarify, not add another piece of material, i mean figuratively add, ie machine one piece that is 18.6 inches rather than the 16 inch version they offer now.), which theyve shown willingness to do on a few canadian specific barrels (have one currently on my modern sporter). I got my faxon barrel in the $300s, i cant imagine the brake version they already produce would be much more in an 18.6 variant, and whoever brought them in or made them (TNA being my preferred company as they listen to their customers and respond with feedback regularly) would sell out fast.

Just my 2 cents and its just for their consideration, alot of people here have responded positively and i think alot more will (if they can get past the unrelated shotgun and m1 carbine debates lol)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    One option would be to cut ridges on the barrel on the lathe and drill holes in them like the muzzle brake of an FG42.
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Airborn_69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    Not if they're cut. Then you need to measure the barrel length. Cut an 18.5" NR to 18 1/4" and its restricted. Cut it to 17 3/4" and its prohib. Size matters. Measured from muzzle to breech. Who does the cutting matters not one lick.

If by THAT guy, you mean the guy who is right, that's me.
    18” shotgun barrel, pretty long NR..

Pretty sure everyone knows to remain NR with a semi auto centrefire rifle barrel you have to be above 18.55”

You’re a piece of work that’s for sure..
    Ex NFA Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt-roc View Post
    i'd rather have my daughter be a whore than have my son work the guncounter at wholesale sports

I started a thread about this a while ago here and also asked faxon.. 2 times.. I got no reply

Also keep in mind that it's possible to have a lighter barrel than an integrated device, if you use a titanium device and it's only about 0.5" longer than this integrated business if you use a short style device, like v7 makes (for example)

In my journey through this.. the juice isnt worth the squeeze if you do as I have suggested

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by $kull View Post
    I started a thread about this a while ago here and also asked faxon.. 2 times.. I got no reply
    The more people who express interest the more feasible it becomes. Also an 18.6 barrel with material removed will most certainly be lighter (marginally) than the same traditional barrel with any brake. But thats not really the main selling point here, most people will want this for aesthetics and to maintain as short an overall length as possible; and aesthetics are very important to ALOT of people (see reverse fake can). Let's hope they notice this, im sure they have a ton of stuff on the go i wont be upset if they dont respond just thought id throw the idea out there.

Super Moderator
    I don't know how many barrels would need to be in an order for a manufacturer to be interested.
    One problem might be that a lot of buyers would want this, that, or the other variation. Twist rate? Number of grooves? Chamber? Let alone contours, length of gas tube, brake design.
    So much easier to arrange for an order for 25 or 50 or however many identical barrels.
    As Henry Ford said, any colour as long as it is black.

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    I don't know how many barrels would need to be in an order for a manufacturer to be interested.
    One problem might be that a lot of buyers would want this, that, or the other variation. Twist rate? Number of grooves? Chamber? Let alone contours, length of gas tube, brake design.
    So much easier to arrange for an order for 25 or 50 or however many identical barrels.
    As Henry Ford said, any colour as long as it is black.
    Likely 100 or so and they’d sell like hot cakes!
    Ex NFA Member.

i'd rather have my daughter be a whore than have my son work the guncounter at wholesale sports

Quote Originally Posted by SCDL View Post
    One option would be to cut ridges on the barrel on the lathe and drill holes in them like the muzzle brake of an FG42.
    I’ve mentioned that to 2 gunsmiths and they were recalcitrant on the matter. Legally yes it could work.
    Ex NFA Member.

why not just contact hm defense directly? they seem to have a working model already... albiet at reduced length