Thread: Anti-tilt follower in AICS 223 mags?

Anti-tilt follower in AICS 223 mags?

Hi Cadex,

I'm having some trouble with a pair of AICS 10 round, .223 Rem mags. The first ~5 rounds come out beautifully. After that I'll often have problems with the nose of the bullets getting caught-up on the front inside edge of the magazine and tilting downward, rim tilting up.

Is there some way to add an anti-tilt follower to one of your AICS mags? Have you seen similar issues before?

These mags aren't particularly old. They might have 150 rounds through each of them.

Thanks!

I had the same issue. I filed that lip at the front, it did help a bit. I switched to the mdt mags for 223 they work better for me.
    Dear Revenue Canada: I would like to cancel my subscription, so please remove my name from your mailing list.

I have an MDT mag, too... it's... worse for a different reason.

Check the PMAG website. This summer they are coming out with a new mag (PMAG 10) to replace the .223 AICS magazine. I have a Remington 700 in .223 that is in a Cadex Chassis. The Cadex chassis is very good but the AICS magazines are useless. There is not enough bolt face to cartridge base contact and the cartridges do not feed well. PMAG claim their magazine will fix the issues.

Huh... so it's just a design limitation of the standard mag? That's unfortunate. Thanks for the tip about the PMAGs - I'll keep an eye open for them!

CGN Regular
    I had similar problems and went to an actual AI polymer 223 mag. Problem solved, but they are incredibly hard to find since they are no longer being made

223 mags can be fiddly some times to feed out of a bolt action rifle because of the small case diameter and use of a mag design that was never intended to be used for a 223. My recommendation would be to set your bullets back a little further (10-30 thou) to see if that helps. I also like to take a little material off the front lip of the plastic insert. Last recommendation would be when you are done loading your mags tap it to set the bullets to the back.

cheers
    Ryan Mclean