Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11131415161718192021

Thread: A statement that needs to be made.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Koenig Tiger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    Canadians are not in favor of guns. You can argue natural or God-given law all you like. You can argue Molon Labe all you like. The overwhelming majority of gun owners - who have kids, professional lives/careers, or who can't afford to take on the govt will all line up to toss their Tavors in the smelter when the OIC drops.
    I see, so your only point in this thread is to spread your miserable pessimism and demoralize others. Too many canadian gun owners are like this unfortunately and are ready to puss out and throw others under the bus at the drop of a hat instead of uniting to fight this ####.
    He laughs best who laughs to the end.

what Koenig Tiger said.

BANNED
    Its not cynicism and I throw nobody under the bus, but a nicely sculpted straw man you got there...

In psychology circles, the term is radical acceptance...

Quote Originally Posted by Koenig Tiger View Post
    I see, so your only point in this thread is to spread your miserable pessimism and demoralize others. Too many canadian gun owners are like this unfortunately and are ready to puss out and throw others under the bus at the drop of a hat instead of uniting to fight this ####.

I think the thing that is most often overlooked when discussing gun control, is that at it's fundamental base, gun control is rooted in stripping honest citizens of their rights. All too often people just don't see the forest here for the trees. Yammer on all you want about how guns kill and whatnot, but so does alcohol, obesity due to unhealthy food choices, tobacco, inexperienced drivers with 700hp supercars (that may be more of a Metro Vancouver thing), and the list goes on. Counter-argue all you'd like, but the bottom line is taking firearms away for no reason other than to quell the frantic knee-jerk reactionaries, is a step closer to an attack on other rights and freedoms.

We all have a right to acquire and own things; be it a vehicle, a house, a nice dinnerware set that is only used for special occasions when company comes over, ecetera. What gun grabbers don't understand is that by allowing any government to slowly chip away at gun owner rights and privileges, they are just setting that government up to slowly creep their agenda to restrict further, everyone's rights and privileges to acquire and own other types of properties. Does a single person need a three bedroom home? Does a car need more than ~80hp? Do people need sugary beverages and fried foods on a stick? You get the picture.

Call it paranoid, call it silly, call it a failed attempt at a same-cases study...I don't care, but you know it's true. Governments sneak their foot in the door by going after something big that unites the dimwitted and ignorant masses so as to not alarm anyone of their true intentions. Then little by little, their agenda creeps further and further into everyone's life without them even noticing and all under the guise of "we're from the government and we're here to help".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    I don't want more control. I had - and foolishly sold - my AR15 builds. Semiautos are really a hell of a lot of fun.

That said, there is no purpose defined in law for a black rifle: you can't hunt with it and you have no right to self-defense. Given the damage it can do if it falls into the wrong hands, a society that is at best ambivalent towards firearms ownership doesn't really have much of a problem with a ban.
    What about sport shooting? The AR platform is hands down the most common firearm for service rifle and 3-gun shooting. It is ubiquitous in the well-attended shooting sports.

I don't accept that argument, but I also see that it is a matter of when not if. The SAFE ACT in NYS has tigen the liberals a template for what constitutes an assault rifle: semi automatic+detachable mag+ (pistol grip OR thumbhole stock OR bayonet lug OR threaded barrel OR flash hider OR forward grip OR collapsible stock). One sentence eliminates everything from 10/22 to Tavor to M1 Carbines to AR15s to Modern Hunters, etc.
    And it should be argued by us to the government that this definition is inane, and evidence does not reflect an inherent danger in these firearms. Bear in mind that the absolute vast majority of gun crime in Canada is committed with illegally smuggled handguns. That "military style" rifles are a danger is a complete red herring, a symbolic scapegoat for gun crime. They're also expensive, comparatively.

Canadians are not in favor of guns. You can argue natural or God-given law all you like. You can argue Molon Labe all you like. The overwhelming majority of gun owners - who have kids, professional lives/careers, or who can't afford to take on the govt will all line up to toss their Tavors in the smelter when the OIC drops.
    The most signed petition in Canadian history is e-2341. Sure, it's not everyone, but it's a substantial number given how common petitions are. Hunting brings in a ridiculous amount of revenue for Canada every year, so while not as common as in the US, I would say this is inaccurate. There's a great deal of ignorance about different types of guns, but I wouldn't say Canadians are anti-gun, especially not west of Ontario.

I'm not in the "everyone should have one" camp. But gun control is about as logical in premise as is banning alcohol because of drunk driving, banning marijuana because of hard drug trafficking, banning spoilers on Honda Civics because they're "racing-style cars", banning Ferrari's because they're "too fast" (when in reality any car is capable of exceeding the speed limit), etc. The evidence doesn't indicate that it works, and spending money on anything from improving mental health services to social programs substantially improves crime rates and violence overall.

Realistically, while mass shootings are unspeakably awful, they comprise an extremely small percentage of yearly deaths in Canada. Gang violence kills exponentially more people, as do car accidents, as does drowning, as does suicide, etc. If you narrow this to "military-style weapons", it becomes an irrelevant number, especially given the insane cost.
    Last edited by Rohann; 04-23-2020 at 09:24 PM.
    "And now I will show you the most excellent way." - 1 Corinthians 12:31b
    Deas Gu Cath

Quote Originally Posted by sunmoong View Post
    I love this guy. Always makes sense. He knows more about our gun laws than 99% of Canadians.
    CCFR and CSSA Member, and Libertarian at Heart