Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: first time reloader

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer686 View Post
    Dillon 550 and never look back again!
    2nd that....Dillon RL550B. You won't regret it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dirtybarry's Avatar
    The Lee turret press that I bought from Henry has served me well. I can go as fast or as slow as needed. Slide the rotating rod out and it becomes a single stage press for rifle cartridges. get some spare turrets and changing calibres takes around 15 seconds. The Dillon is great for producing high volumes of pistol rounds but switching calibres takes time and money.
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

CGN Regular
    Agree. After 40 years of loading on a single stage or turret, I bought a 550. For your calibers, a very good choice.
    LaBoeuf : ...You could argue that the shooting of the dog was merely an instance of malum prohibitum, but the shooting of a senator is indubitably an instance of malum in se.
    Rooster Cogburn : Malla-men what?

The learning curb is higher and failure is risky. From personal experience after the expense and time investment I would not recommend people to start on a single stage for the calibers you listed. For precision rifle rounds I still reload single but pistol/plinking rounds not a chance.

Hello.
    All that has been pointed out is valuable information. Everyone leans reloading from a different source and starting point. Over my years of reloading, Progressive set up off the bat is expensive and a bit complicated and perhaps a little overwhelming, though that changes with time and experience. Single stage is not as expensive, but reloading your first brass will be the most expensive projectile you ever shoot!! Experience comes with confidence, trust and time. What Do you feel comfortable with? Do you want to pump out 500 rounds an hour or 50 - 100 doing it on a single stage? Both have benefits, the single gives you something of supreme value...hands on experience and learning from your mistakes, one is involved in the entire reloading process, your eyes and hands are in constant contact with what your "creating" you are leaning as you make. Knowledge is power. I would thoroughly like to have a progressive one day, however i do not. I reload for every caliber i own. 45-70 - 10 mm. 12 calibers of rifle and 6 calibers of pistol & revolver. It is time consuming and sometimes i think i am crazy for spending so much time, however it has given me the benefits of reloading safely, properly and a lot of wisdom. As i mentioned, i will get a progressive soon because i feel i have put my time in on a single. I will never give the single up though, it will always be on the bench. RCBS Rockchucker as mentioned is a great start, RCBS, Hornady, Lee dies fit into it, you can be more selective on die purchase. Some set ups only allow you to use "Their" dies. Collect information and make a good judgement call, trust your gut, it never lies. Good luck, reload safe and have some fun.

CGN Regular
    #1 thing to know about reloading is you don't spend less, you just get more ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRussian View Post
    #1 thing to know about reloading is you don't spend less, you just get more ammo.
    agreed!
    The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Pistol only.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by meveringham View Post
    The learning curb is higher and failure is risky. From personal experience after the expense and time investment I would not recommend people to start on a single stage for the calibers you listed. For precision rifle rounds I still reload single but pistol/plinking rounds not a chance.
    I agree; I have been reloading my .223, 7 x 57 in my old Lee Turret Press, however priming components are no longer available for it. I'm looking at possibly a new Lee 4000 which will handle 4 dies, and a much improved primer feed (the weakest link on the pro 1000) to do .223, and maybe one other pistol caliber that I don't shoot very often. I will be getting a good single stage press to replace my old Lee Turret, that should round things out nicely.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneMoose View Post
    Hello.
    All that has been pointed out is valuable information. Everyone leans reloading from a different source and starting point. Over my years of reloading, Progressive set up off the bat is expensive and a bit complicated and perhaps a little overwhelming, though that changes with time and experience. Single stage is not as expensive, but reloading your first brass will be the most expensive projectile you ever shoot!! Experience comes with confidence, trust and time. What Do you feel comfortable with? Do you want to pump out 500 rounds an hour or 50 - 100 doing it on a single stage? Both have benefits, the single gives you something of supreme value...hands on experience and learning from your mistakes, one is involved in the entire reloading process, your eyes and hands are in constant contact with what your "creating" you are leaning as you make. Knowledge is power. I would thoroughly like to have a progressive one day, however i do not. I reload for every caliber i own. 45-70 - 10 mm. 12 calibers of rifle and 6 calibers of pistol & revolver. It is time consuming and sometimes i think i am crazy for spending so much time, however it has given me the benefits of reloading safely, properly and a lot of wisdom. As i mentioned, i will get a progressive soon because i feel i have put my time in on a single. I will never give the single up though, it will always be on the bench. RCBS Rockchucker as mentioned is a great start, RCBS, Hornady, Lee dies fit into it, you can be more selective on die purchase. Some set ups only allow you to use "Their" dies. Collect information and make a good judgement call, trust your gut, it never lies. Good luck, reload safe and have some fun.
    I don't disagree, I started out with a Lee turret press in the 70's. That was "state of the art" at that time. For an absolute novice just getting started in the sport; or a person who does not shoot a lot; or one who is striving for precision, a single stage press is perfect.

Not everyone is on the same level; many in the shooting community also come from professions where they work with complex mechanical systems and processes; where both high precision and safety are the norm; and often involve dangerous materials. Someone who designs, builds, maintains this type of industrial equipment will have no problem setting up, operating, and maintaining a progressive press. These people are the same ones who will read and digest more than one reloading manual, and who will also look to the experience of others.

If one is confident, and competent, and they plan on shooting a lot; maybe a progressive is the way to go.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast