Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: first time reloader

first time reloader

Hello all

I would like to start getting into reloading

I like to shoot a .40 SW a .223 rem and my 38/357
    What is a good starter press, and easy to change over to a new caliber.
    I have three I like now ..

I think a Lee pro 1000
    Is that a good start?
    How easy can I get plate and thing to change over to a new caliber
    Does Budget shooter supply, have or can i order what i need to get
    now and in the future

Thanks for your time

mike

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by mluckhardt View Post
    Hello all

I would like to start getting into reloading

I like to shoot a .40 SW a .223 rem and my 38/357
    What is a good starter press, and easy to change over to a new caliber.
    I have three I like now ..

I think a Lee pro 1000
    Is that a good start?
    How easy can I get plate and thing to change over to a new caliber
    Does Budget shooter supply, have or can i order what i need to get
    now and in the future

Thanks for your time

mike
    Hi Mike!

The Lee pro 1000 is a great press, but they are fussy, and they are not all that easy to change over. I switched from .38 special to .45 ACP; because my .45 brass takes large pistol primers, I bought a separate .45 shell plate holder set up with the proper primer feed as well. Shell feeder needs to be changed, as does the brass pusher, heights and clearances have to be adjusted, and the whole process took me a bit over an hour. If you are are not changing over the shell plate holder, just going from 9mm to .40, about 1/2 hour would be the expected time to change over; including verification of the powder charge and COAL.

I did initially intend to do .223 in mine as well, but with I have yet to try. If I have time this week, I just might give it a go.

I presently have two of these which minimizes change overs. I know of another guy in Listowell who has 4 and never changes over.

In my opinion, the Hornady Lock and load progressive is likely the best, easiest to set up, and has one of the best primer feeds available; but you can buy 3 used pro-1000s for the price of one of these new. LOL
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0agpmbg34I

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Meroh View Post
    Hi Mike!

The Lee pro 1000 is a great press, but they are fussy, and they are not all that easy to change over. I switched from .38 special to .45 ACP; because my .45 brass takes large pistol primers, I bought a separate .45 shell plate holder set up with the proper primer feed as well. Shell feeder needs to be changed, as does the brass pusher, heights and clearances have to be adjusted, and the whole process took me a bit over an hour. If you are are not changing over the shell plate holder, just going from 9mm to .40, about 1/2 hour would be the expected time to change over; including verification of the powder charge and COAL.

I did initially intend to do .223 in mine as well, but with I have yet to try. If I have time this week, I just might give it a go.

I presently have two of these which minimizes change overs. I know of another guy in Listowell who has 4 and never changes over.

In my opinion, the Hornady Lock and load progressive is likely the best, easiest to set up, and has one of the best primer feeds available; but you can buy 3 used pro-1000s for the price of one of these new. LOL
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0agpmbg34I
    BTW, since the middle of last week, I have loaded 1000 9mm, 700 .38 special, and today, 500 .45s, with about another 400 to go.

I suggest you start with a good single stage press, learn the process step by step. Within a couple of years, you'll figure out yourself which type of progressive would work best for you. Your single stage press will be your goto press for precision rifle rounds so it is still going to be a good investment...

From that perspective, I recommend RCBS Rockchucker as a great press to start with. Very precise, built to last. Redding Ultramag is another great press that I have been using for 13+ years and very happy with it as well but it is on the expensive side...

I agree with the single stage as a starting press. I own both a lee single stage (which I started with and still use) and a lee pro 1000 progressive. Using the single stage will allow you to focus on every stage of the reloading process perfectly. I think as a beginner you do not want to rush the process. Take the time to learn and understand what you are doing on every stage. The progressive has a lot of things going on at once and it can be easy to make a mistake if you are not familiar with the reloading process. The progressive takes some time to set up perfectly for one caliber, but once its set you can hammer them out pretty quick. I would say approx. 300-400 rounds an hour for myself. I only use it for handgun loads though and only with small sized primers. Changing the shell plate and dies aren't too difficult, but readjusting the case loader height every time is annoying but not impossible.
    The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.

Dillon 550 and never look back again!
    Enjoying your freedom? Thank A Soldier !!!

You say nobody needs an AR15? Well nobody needs a whiny little b*tch either yet here you are!

CGN Regular
    I second the idea of starting off with the basics, a single stage press like the already mentioned RCBS rockchucker, a good scale, trimmer and digital or analog calipers. These are things you will use down the road anyway. I use the single stage for all my rifle ammo. Spend your money on good dies, bullet seaters (micrometer ones are amazingly precise) and components. You will quickly figure out what you want to upgrade as per your needs. The only pistol ammo I reload is 44 mag, 44 SW and 44 Russian and I use my hand loader for most of the process. There are a lot of good deals on kits out there if you look. Just remember that kits don’t always come with every thing you need. In fact they rarely come with everything lol. Good luck, stay safe and have fun.
    I love the sound that a law makes when I break it!

I would suggest the lee single stage press!
    Without history there can be nothing new.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .30/06 FTW's Avatar
    I actually just got started in reloading for the first time and bought a Lee Hand Press kit from Henry. I’m learning how to load .38 Special and then I’ll eventually graduate to a Square Deal B for 9mm. I don’t really shoot enough of the other calibres I have to justify the dies and components but if I do then I’ll probably just use the Lee Hand Press.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer686 View Post
    Dillon 550 and never look back again!
    No need for a single stage press. Get a Dillon 550 C.
    You can go as low as you need or pump 500 rounds an hour, pistol or rifle.
    Quick head change - quick conversion - proven press with the best warrantee in the business.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast