Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Time to go, are your ready? A thread for the Prep Folk

Cool

Isn’t a radio all we really need? I mean the government will take care of us right?

I have a bag in the event we have to evacuate with supplies to last 72 hours. It includes medical stuff including prescription medicine, food, water, hard drive with family pictures and a little bit of survival stuff. It’s sits next to the safe, which I would probably grab a shotgun from and associated ammo and maybe something else. This bag accompanies me if I am driving more than 2 hours outside the city.

In my vehicle, I have a small grey man style get home bag, the items in it change as the seasons do. I work in the city, so at best, I would need to walk 30-40 km.
    Keep your booger picker off the bang switch until you want a loud noise.

DVC

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BabySeal View Post

Then there are products that as far as I know, do not exist, like a Canadian homeowners emergency manual that is compact, concise, highly visible, and waterproof. Something that tells folks how to turn off their water, gas and power, how to deal with ice dams, or flooding. Something that maybe even comes with a doodad that lets you mount it on the wall in your utility room...

For this I'd suggest the latest edition or semi recent version of the IFSTA manual used by and written for firefighting. It covers almost every kind of residential emergency plus a chapter on First aid.

people coming around to steal from you will have packs, just take theirs.

CGN Regular
    I have yet to find a supplier that puts together a 100% high quality 72 hour kit. There seems to be at least some low quality crap items in every kit. Most kits are way too heavy. Therefore I just source exactly what I want off Amazon and put everything into a backpack. I have one backpack for every person in the house. Also a simple portable bucket toilet ready to grab. In general I keep the backpacks light enough that we take them with us anytime we're out hiking in the woods. This forces you to chose only what is essential. Also creates a habit that whenever you are heading out, you take the backpack.

My favourite is when guys be all like "ya I got my go back ready to rock hoorah". But they forgot to make one for the rest of their family members lol

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleCam View Post
    You are better off to shelter in place.
    That's the government's advice at least.
    CSSA/CCFR MemberAn unjust law, is no law at all.Martin Luther (1483-1546)
    There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by Bull_it View Post
    What's the proposed reason for a 72 hour bag; Power outage, earthquake, fire, flood, backcountry vehicle breakdown, wilderness survival, collapse of society? What is your destination; FEMA type shelter, hotel, friends and family, cabin, the woods?

We have a "bail out" bag. Basically it's to grab if the house catches on fire or we get evacuated due to a gas leak or something. There's not really any other reason I would "bug out" with almost zero notice and only require 72 hours of supplies.

In our bag we have:

- Binder with copies of important documents: passports, licences, insurance papers, mortgage papers etc

- Full change of clothes

- Basic toiletries

- Couple hundred bucks cash

The bag is stored in our entry way closet, so in order to get it I have to pass my wallet and phone which I'd grab while leaving too. The wallet has a debit card and a credit card with a high limit. I also have a sizeable line of credit available if need be. I can get virtually anything I'd want or need providing society is still functioning.
    The "society still functioning" is like the turning point. If society is functioning then realistically the 72hr grab and bail bag doesnt need much of anything in it...important docs saying who you are, some basic necessities, full tank of gas. On the other hand if it was world war 3 up in here, one would be better off with a 720hr bag/plan on what theyre doing full utilitarian style/survival mode.

Guns and gold are the only things that matter when SHTF.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Shelter in place and ignore any mandatory evacuation orders..
    Your home is your fortress

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BabySeal's Avatar
    It is SO hard to keep a bag for kids. They outgrow everything so fast! And you have to pack stuff to keep them busy and or entertained or you are going to have problems.

long term or short term? Situation would dictate I suppose. Being realistic looking at our past with short term events i.e ice storms, power outages, floods, fire and, for someone who is not a hardcore prepper just make sure to have enough food for you and your family to last at least a month along with a few cases of water, warm clothes and medication for a month. In case of a fire, make sure to have some money set aside in your account for you and your family until your insurance kicks in.

long term like an economic depression; buy up some gold prior to and hold onto it helps. There are also skills we take for granted like learning how to communicate and work as a group with others, hunting/fishing, building basic wood/log homes or barns, growing crops/farming, learning how to garden and use the tools/equipment, make moonshine/distilling would be more valuable than most.

The odds of a person being naked and afraid playing silly bugger in the bush with only your wits, a pot and knife while chewing on tree bark hoping to get protein whilst thinking everyone is out to get you are nill in todays day and age. No matter where you go at some point you will run into others in the same situation and want to work together. Have a look outside your window, people are not panicking and shooting each other for food and shiny stuff. The majority are working together to deal with this COVID 19 issue.