Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Time to go, are your ready? A thread for the Prep Folk

....and the knowledge on how to use that IFAK. I've taken courses prior. It looks there may be some 'stop the bleed' type classes on line

Good quality , fresh MRE.
    Meal, Ready to Eat. Three lies in one.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Wallenstein's Avatar
    "Oh farmers, pray that your summers be wet and your winters clear." - Virgil

Seriously, get ready with food and the ability to preserve it.

Whether your employment is at risk or whether the supply chain for food is broken, or both, having some extra food will go a long way.

Focus on simple and reliable : Potatos, Tomatos, Beans, Squash, etc.

The INCH bag with the ultimate Bugout vehicle and accompanying load out can wait until next year.

Buy seeds, soil, start planting.

Doesn't mater that you live in a small apartment with poor sunlight access.

Grow lights are cheap, and indoor gardens are a thing.

Zero excuses.
    Last edited by Wallenstein; 04-29-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    Medicines. Tell your doctor you are going to Central America or Africa and would like a prescription for a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain meds. The doc likely won't balk at prescribing a dozen pills to get you through a few days.

A suture kit. This takes practice, but even if you aren't the one doing it, knowing that its available to a more skilled person in a time of crisis could be helpful.

This is a good call, a coworker caught pneumonia while deep in the bush up north. Suffered through it and went to the Dr when he got back. Dr nearly slapped him and said next time you are going let him know so he can proscribe meds in case it happens again.

-Matt
    Last edited by WanstallsOnline; 04-29-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAAC View Post
    Good, affordable IFAK are always the hardest for me.

You can build them, but you end up spending a fortune to get supplies in bulk. Or, you can buy them off the shelf and spend way too much... Most IFAK are padded with cheap stuff or stuff you don't need to get to a price point.

A really good, off-the-shelf solution would be great.
    My finding as well, i was going wait until we announced but we are carrying Imminent Threat Solution and our first shipment is due to arrive shortly. Yes with our current dollar they are a bit pricey BUT the quality is A+ and I like how compact the kits are compared to building yourself. I have a few I put together myself and vs the ITS kit, the ITS kits are less than half the size and wait and have all the same stuff

-Matt
    Last edited by WanstallsOnline; 04-29-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FEDGE2.0 View Post
    My favourite is when guys be all like "ya I got my go back ready to rock hoorah". But they forgot to make one for the rest of their family members lol
    LOL not gunna lie, half way through building mine i started buying doubles for the wife because I totally forgot. Was to caught up in reading and researching

-Matt

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dm9 View Post
    I have yet to find a supplier that puts together a 100% high quality 72 hour kit. There seems to be at least some low quality crap items in every kit. Most kits are way too heavy. Therefore I just source exactly what I want off Amazon and put everything into a backpack. I have one backpack for every person in the house. Also a simple portable bucket toilet ready to grab. In general I keep the backpacks light enough that we take them with us anytime we're out hiking in the woods. This forces you to chose only what is essential. Also creates a habit that whenever you are heading out, you take the backpack.
    Although I agree, my concern with a company offering a complete kit is that people should know what they are getting, doing the research and outfitting as you see fit will at least give you the basic knowledge of what is in your kit.

Nothing like dropping big bucks and the first time you open it is in the bush and have no idea what iodine is for.

-Matt

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by My450 View Post
    ....and the knowledge on how to use that IFAK. I've taken courses prior. It looks there may be some 'stop the bleed' type classes on line
    100%

I took one years ago, always thinking about brushing up

-Matt

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallenstein View Post
    "Oh farmers, pray that your summers be wet and your winters clear." - Virgil

Seriously, get ready with food and the ability to preserve it.

Whether your employment is at risk or whether the supply chain for food is broken, or both, having some extra food will go a long way.

Focus on simple and reliable : Potatos, Tomatos, Beans, Squash, etc.

The INCH bag with the ultimate Bugout vehicle and accompanying load out can wait until next year.

Buy seeds, soil, start planting.

Doesn't mater that you live in a small apartment with poor sunlight access.

Grow lights are cheap, and indoor gardens are a thing.

Zero excuses.
    Yup, gardens have exploded in our neck of the woods. Seems everyone is doing it now

-Matt

If you really wanted to have a good kit, you pretty much have to buy all the components separate, at extra cost... comes with the advantage though of doing some individual research, and probably checking/testing different bits...

My 72 hour kit would probably take me hours to put together though, I used to keep it together in one spot, but I keep stealing bits or they migrate around the basement